Sassafras tea

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Sassafras tea

Post by fatoldfool »

The couple of warm days got me to thinking about sassafras tea. Any one on here make it? How about Birch tea? is it made the same way as sassafras, using the root, or is it made from the bark?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Sassafras tea

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good stuff. We have more 'spicebush' (shrub relative) than sassafrass, but I'm not sure you can make tea from that. Rootlets work better than larger root stock; the flavor seems to come from the outer 'skin' of the root.

Contains traces of anti-oxidants (everything seems to), but also traces of carcinogens (again, everything seems to), so I figure 'everything in moderation' and have some now and then if you like it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I have 3 trees in my yard. The dried and powdered leaves and bark make good seasoning also. Just to save walking there is plenty of it growing wild in the area.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As far as everything having carcinogens, I think that someone once said that the most common cause of death is living.
By the way, what does sassafrass taste like?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote:As far as everything having carcinogens, I think that someone once said that the most common cause of death is living.
By the way, what does sassafrass taste like?
It's the root in rootbeer.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I know how to make Sassafras tea. Been drinking it since I was about 3 or so. My Grandmother's favorite spring tonic.
So does anyone know anything about the birch tea?
I know they used to boil birch sap down like maple to make sugar. Never had any of the sugar.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Man, talk about a FLASH from the Past!!!

As a child on the east coast, I would roam the swampy woods around our home. Finding young birch trees, I would cut off a section and chew off the bark. I can still taste it to this day.

Thanks for the flash back!

8)
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Just to comment on the whole carcinogen thing.

That study was done using some synthetically derived version of safrole (sassafras oil). The study also used absolutely ridiculously high concentrations and quantities and even still it was found to be only a weak carcinogen in rats. It would be virtually impossible to consume the quantities necessary to have that affect on humans - if indeed humans even metabolize that compound in a similar way.

I personally don't think there is any danger whatsoever in enjoying some real sassafras tea

enjoy!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Doesn't birch bark have asperin in it?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Chewing birch bark was a normal thing for us country kids. Same for sassafras bark. I have chewed spicewood, but seemed like it was bitter. I saw a post here or MO where someone used spicewood sticks to season meat dishes. I still want to know about birch tea/drink!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

BlaineG wrote:Doesn't birch bark have asperin in it?

I believe the original source of aspirin was from the Willow tree family, Blaine.

And I think that as little children what WE called Birch Bark, ... for chewing, could very well have been what others in the south called Sassafras.

The Birch Bark I chewed as a child was a dark amber/brown in color with little cream or white colored nubs/bumps. The outer bark layer was very paper thin with a bright green inner layer.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Birch is brown, has small serrated leaves, sassafras is green and has a large 3 lobed leaf. Both of them made a hungry kid feel a little better when there was a bunch more rows to how before quitting time.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

BlaineG wrote:Doesn't birch bark have asperin in it?
Yes, birch and willow are both sources of salicylic acid. As are wintergreen berries and leaves. Wintergreen contains methyl salicylate as esther which smells and tastes better than the willow bark. Both are effective anti inflammatory agents and pain killers.

May be wrong but I think aspen bark also contains it but in lower quantities.
My hard drive is getting old.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.