Semi-OT: Treating gun leather

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Semi-OT: Treating gun leather

Post by Tristan »

What method do ya'll use to treat dry gun leather?

I have a hand-me-down holster rig that is sort of dried out and pretty squeaky; I'd like to use the right product to assure that it doesn't degrade the leather over time.

I have some Lexol Leather Conditioner/Preservative, and a product called 'ForceField' Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

What products have you been satisfied with?

Thanks!!

- Tristan
Hobie

Re: Semi-OT: Treating gun leather

Post by Hobie »

Used saddle soap to clean leather for years. Lexol was recommended to me by Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Hobie wrote:Used saddle soap to clean leather for years. Lexol was recommended to me by Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged.

That's a strong endorcement...
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Tristan - The Lexol is very good stuff. Use it sparingly. Lexol also makes a cleaning product that is good. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My new Simply Rugged holster came with a tag that said a light application of olive oil can be used.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hobie wrote:Used saddle soap to clean leather for years. Lexol was recommended to me by Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged.
That's good stuff! I brought back a couple old saddles and several holsters with it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thanks for the information y'all. I have been using saddle soap and beeswax. Maybe it is time to try something else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Perhaps you might query Wes Daems at 7X Leather Works in Ennis, Montana.

http://www.7xleather.com/.

Among things to consider are: vegetable tanned, or chrome tanned; cow hide or horsehide; full thickness or sueded? Of the things I mentioned, by far the most important is how your leather was tanned. The wrong leather treatment will destroy leather. The good news is that nearly all good-to-best quality holster and belt leather is vegetable tanned. Cheap-o stuff and Red China leather? Good luck. You'll need it.

Hope this helps.
Tristan wrote:What method do ya'll use to treat dry gun leather?

I have a hand-me-down holster rig that is sort of dried out and pretty squeaky; I'd like to use the right product to assure that it doesn't degrade the leather over time.

I have some Lexol Leather Conditioner/Preservative, and a product called 'ForceField' Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.

What products have you been satisfied with?

Thanks!!

- Tristan
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

iv been a custom saddle builder for 30 years and i would use the lexol but nothing beats saddle soap and 100% pure neatsfoot oil trust me.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

willygene wrote:iv been a custom saddle builder for 30 years and i would use the lexol but nothing beats saddle soap and 100% pure neatsfoot oil trust me.
+1
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grass range »

Use saddle soap and pure Neats Foot Oil as I have for 60 years on the dry Montana plain
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd use saddle soap to clean it if it needs it and then use Pecard's leather dressing. I use it on all of my tack, gun leather, boots, etc.. and it's great stuff.
Old Law Dawg
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

+1 for saddle soap mixed with elbow grease and then very sparingly very pure neetsfoot oil
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I had heard that Neetsfoot oil actually dries out leather over time. Anything to that?
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I use saddle soap to clean, but once cleaned I have had real good luck with a product called Bick 4. It is a white cream/lotion, and it seems to give the leather back a lot of its natural suppleness. Gives it a nice natual leather smell too, while giving it just a bit of moisture repellancy.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

Nate neatsfoot wont dry it out but to much will also cause the fibers of the leather to become spongy and break apart, remember to use 100% pure neatsfoot oil the compound stuff will just turn it black and soft and its petroleum based and will also cause leather to go bad. if you prefer a cream aussie leather care cream works very good.
tube_ee
Levergunner

Post by tube_ee »

What about Brooks Proofide?

The Brooks Saddle Company has been selling the stuff for about 100 years for use on its' hand-made tensioned-leather bicycle saddles. It's pretty wet in Ol' Blighty...

It works... I use both their saddles and their goop.

Obenauf's (made for treating firefighter's leather garments) is also supposed to be very good.

In my own leatherwork, I've just used Tandy's clear finish, and had good results, but I'm not skilled enough yet to determine whether that's really the best answer, and it does dry to a gloss finish... it's not just a protectant, so that is likely the wrong answer for an already-finished piece.

--Shannon
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Whatever you do, DON'T use mink oil. Don't ask, but it wasn't pretty.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

For weather proofing "an old woods holster" or one that will experience "total immersion in water" (kayaking) I have read that dipping the entire holster in a bath of melted parafin will work. Have not done this. Just something I read. Not reccomended for quality leather. Thoughts?
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I;ve used a liquid saddle soap in the past - it cleaned and conditioned the smooth leathers just fine... howerver, all of the things cleaned with it develped mold after some time!

I have gone to using olive oil now - on the advice of a friend who does leatherwork. I've been using it for a long time now and never had any molding or other ill effects. It does darken the leather but soaks in quickly and "dries" to the touch very fast. Softens the leather without weakening it to any discernable degree. Doesn't harm firearm finishes.

Olive oil.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

SADDLE SOAP on old leather! New or vintage leather it is okay to use light solutions as others have recomended but NOT on old leather. My strong opinion on old leather. 2 cents worth.
"That'll Be The Day"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

rangerider7 wrote:SADDLE SOAP on old leather! New or vintage leather it is okay to use light solutions as others have recomended but NOT on old leather. My strong opinion on old leather. 2 cents worth.
So, are you saying to USE saddle soap, or DON'T use saddle soap?

I have a pony express saddle bag and a 90-something year old mail bag that I would love to preserve/save/.....

A. saddle soap is good.
2. saddle soap is bad
c. ?

Regards,

Grizz
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Saddle Soap is good!
"That'll Be The Day"
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

neatsfoot oil...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

rangerider7 wrote:Saddle Soap is good!
thank you sir. I want to rescue those leather items, there's tons of history there...

Grizz
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

I went ahead and used the Lexol, and it made a great difference in the suppleness and feel of the leather; the squeak is gone, and all in all it seems like a new rig now.

Thanks for all the feedback - I've enjoyed reading every post!

Got a bunch of good ideas to go into the idea book, too!

- Tristan
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Olive oil has been used for 1000's of years and that works for me for the last 40 years and it is cheap also .
Image..Image
Image......Image
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

tn gun runner wrote:Olive oil has been used for 1000's of years and that works for me for the last 40 years and it is cheap also .
that's pretty generic. what "kind" of olive oil? from what kind of olives? it's gourmet stuff in most grocery stores now. is it like motor oil with different weights and different varieties for gas or diesel?

or do you just get any can or bottle of olive oil and start rubbing it in?

thanks

Grizz
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Grizz wrote:
tn gun runner wrote:Olive oil has been used for 1000's of years and that works for me for the last 40 years and it is cheap also .
that's pretty generic. what "kind" of olive oil? from what kind of olives? it's gourmet stuff in most grocery stores now. is it like motor oil with different weights and different varieties for gas or diesel?

or do you just get any can or bottle of olive oil and start rubbing it in?

thanks

Grizz
Olive oil is olive oil except for taste and pressing . What ever is in your kitchen and rub it in , keeps leather from drying out .
Image..Image
Image......Image
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

So, where do I go to look for Lexol? When I go to local sporting goods stores and ask for saddle soap or neatsfoot oil, all I get is a puzzled look and a "huh?"