U.S. Cavalry: A Graduation exercise...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

U.S. Cavalry: A Graduation exercise...

Post by octagon »

"This event was open to all officers on the post and was a must for all student officers. The total of all one dollar entrance fees was divided among the win, place and show places. In the first phase horses of an indeterminant disposition and unknown to the contestants were tied on the picket line 300 yard from the starting line, with saddles and bridles on the ground behind them. Each contestant ran the 300 yards to the horses, saddled and bridled them, rode down a course of jumps along the Republican River, and to a saber course, which was the second phase. Seizing a saber on the run, he attacked three dummies and then continued on to the pistol range, the third pase. Here he dismounted, took a pistol and fired at a bottle marked with his number at a range of 25 yards untill the bottle was broken. Mounting agaign on any horse, he proceded to the Republican River, forded it, dismounted, and led his horse for a mile to a second ford, mounted, forded again, rode to the foot of Sherman Heights, dismounted, and led it up a steep climb. At the top, he mounted agin, galloped to the rifle range, and again dismounted. Here he seized a rifle, fired at a bottle marked with his number at a range of 100 yards until it was broken, when he mounted agin and rode to the finish line. Penalties were awarded for failure to break bottles, missed jumps, or missed saber dummies. It was a grueling course. " From: "Twilight of the U.S. Cavalry, Life in the Old Army 1917-1942, by General Lucian Truscott (Grandpa).
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: U.S. Cavalry: A Graduation exercise...

Post by Doc Hudson »

Most interesting and it should have been most entertaining to spectators, especially the saddling part. it porobably produced some pretty impressive kicking, bucking, and biting. Not to mention some champion class cussing.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

my dad was in the cavalry...ft sill Okla, 1932 and in the panama canal zone until 1938...so was my now deceased, ex-father-in-law, 1922...they told some very interesting stories about their days in the horse cavalry...i as a kid at Ft Riley remember seeing horse cavalry in the 40's...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Sounds like they knew how to make men "men" back then.

I won't take anything away from todays GI's and Marines...after all they work with one hand behind the back serving under the modern "Power-point" officers we product in the modern world. But the "Crucible" and "Gauntlet"-style BT wrap up would be a lot more intersting if the "winners" took a cut of "pooled" money at the end of the day.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hillbilly wrote:Sounds like they knew how to make men "men" back then.

I won't take anything away from todays GI's and Marines...after all they work with one hand behind the back serving under the modern "Power-point" officers we product in the modern world. But the "Crucible" and "Gauntlet"-style BT wrap up would be a lot more intersting if the "winners" took a cut of "pooled" money at the end of the day.
Sure our modern GI's have lots of high tech stuff to work with and work on, and they have to worry about a steady supply of batteries and electricity as well ans a good ammo supply.

But I'd rather fight with a recalcitrant computer than have to fight with an Artillery Mule!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Interesting post. Were any US Cavalry units deployed to France in WWI ?
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Doc Hudson wrote:
But I'd rather fight with a recalcitrant computer than have to fight with an Artillery Mule!
boy, not me. give me the mule any day. :D

i'm an analog guy in a digital world. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

pokey wrote:
Doc Hudson wrote:
boy, not me. give me the mule any day. :D

i'm an analog guy in a digital world. :roll:
You apparently have not heard some of the stories about Army mules that I've heard.

Confusers will make you crazy, but they don't bite, stomp, or kick. Though both will balk on you. you also don't have to curry a computer or muck out behind it. :twisted:

Image Image
UNITE!
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

Having been in two of the (then) ACRs in my time in the Army, it's interesting to hear about what life was like in the horse cav. Thanks for the perspective--not sure if I could have actually done this course . . . :oops:
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

octagon,

Great information on the calvary contest. That sounded like a hell of a contest!!
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a video - there are others there with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apOz6wO1hFs
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend you stop and see the US Cavalry musem at Fort Riley, just outside of Junction City, KS off of I-70. It is well worth the visit. The 1st. Infantry division musem is there too as fort Riley is home to the Famed Big Red 1. and the Esienhour musem is just down the road in Abileine too.