300 Savage Load Info

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

300 Savage Load Info

Post by 86er »

Has anyone ever loaded 150 or 170 grain Flat Point bullets (like for 30-30) in the 300 Savage? What were the results on game?

I'm thinking of using 170 gr Speer Flat Points loaded to 2540 fps. I think they'll smack hard, penetrate adequately and expand very well.

Any other favorite loads for the 300 Savage?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: 300 Savage Load Info

Post by iceman »

I haven't tried the flat points yet, but I am working on some Hornady 165 spire points. I have come down to 2 powders, IMR 4895 and RL 15. Not max loads (1 grain off listed max) but both seem to group nice in my rifle. I have always had good luck with middle weight bullets ie 140 gr in 270, 165 in 308 win and 30-06 and 225 gr in 35 Whelan. Maybe someone has tried the 170 fp in their 300 savage.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've read of that being done in the .308 and .30-06 and I imagine that it has been done in the .300 Savage. They should expand right well started at 2540 considering that they do well started at 2100.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I was wondering why you would want to do this? Seems like you'll be cutting the range and energy down.
My favorite load for the 300 Savage in my M99's is 43 grains of RL15 over the 165 grain Hornady Spire point. Shoots great in both guns and will shoot 3/4" in the 1951 model. This is with Winchester brass and CCI 200 primers. Of course work up to it in your gun if you use it. I went to 44 grains but it shot better at 43 and was good on deer and antelope. Brass is lasting well and it doesn't show any pressure signs in either rifle.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I'm not sure if I can help you with this or not but here goes. I shoot a 180 cast gas checked flat point in my 99. I use it because where I hUNT YOU CAN'T SEE FARTHER THAN 60 YARDS. I haven't gotten to shoot anything with it though so I can't tell you what it's like on game but it is way accurate. Sorry I can't help more than that. I decided I will have bullets no matter what happens so I am trying to develope cast loads for everything(within reason) I own and bought close to a ton of wheel weights and pure lead. Now if I can keep buying gaschecks I might be somewhere. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

180 hdy RN pushed by 38.5 of IMR4895 works great on elk in dark timber just got some RL15 will have to work up a load. danny
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

IMO it will work quite well. I load the Hornady 170 Flat Point in my 308 with Varget. I started with a 10% reduced load off the 165 grain listing, and went from there. I think it will work well for you.
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

John Barsness wrote a "user's guide" to the 99 a few years ago in Rifle magazine, and he said the 170 was an excellent black timber load, as it "really whops game". 38 - 40 grains of IMR 4064 should nail it for you.

I'm thinking you could use an inexpensive bullet like the Remington Core-Lokt for deer and practice, and something like a Nosler Partition for hog hunting. They should shoot really close to the same place, plenty close enough for timber ranges.

Be sure and let us know how it works for you.
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy:

I'm pretty much agree with John B. on loads for the .300. His load work seems well thought out and appliations well defined in his articles. His data points to 150's and 165's as the most practical bullets for the .300 Savage. I'm doubt there is any practical advantage to using the 170 gr flat or RN as opposed to any one of the many excellent 165's out there for almost any application. By John B's own admission, the 170's may not deliver accuracy on par with 150's or 165's in some rifles. I think his experiments and use of the 170's might have been really just that; experiments. The fact that 170's work with authority on deer size game at speeds a bit higher than the .30/30 delivers (300-500 FPS) is interesting, but not really suprising. Might be useful if you ever had to use 170 grain .30/30 bullets for your Savage in a real frugal "frontier" reloading scenario.
I'm still dabbling with the .300 Savage myself, having yet to determine the "ultimate" load; but something tells me that if a 150 grain spitzer isn't quite enough bullet for the game you intend to pursue, the 165 grain weight is likely going to be the most logical next option. Even a low tech cup and core bullet would be a valid choice since the .300 Savage tops out at around 2600 FPS with 165's. AW
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm looking at 40 gr of H4895 for 2450fps with the Speer 170 gr FP. Speer says it will expand from 1750 fps and stay together up to 2250 fps impact. The crimp groove and slightly short bullet help with the cycling in my semi-auto rifle. I have 100 of these bullets that might as well be put to use. Now for the field testing.....
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Now for the field testing.....
Please post the results Joe! I am interested.