Opinions on newer issue cold weather military boots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Opinions on newer issue cold weather military boots

Post by Streetstar »

I need a new pair of cold weather boots TO USE WHILE HUNTING WITH MY LEVERGUN (added to keep the thread on topic) (cold Oklahoma/Kansas weather --- not cold weather Wisconsin or Montana style) I was an Army reservist until about 8 years ago, and i really liked my issue intermediate cold weather boots, (i think they were made by Belleville or Bates) but i went to militaryboots.com -- and lo and behold, no longer an issue item and all the new issue boots and optional wear seem to be tan rough out leather. Same as my unlined, uninsulated desert boots from the early 90's.

I ordered a pair of the thinsulate lined Danner Ft. Lewis boots in tan rough out. These are supposed to be water resistant, but i have my reservations. Also, rough out leather seems like it would stain if i got blood on them, discolor with water etc.

I know a couple of you guys are still in the military or are recently separated and likely have much more experience with these things than me ---- Danner boots are expensive and i just want to get a real opinion before i take 'em outside for the first time. (but they were backordered anyway, with my luck i wont get them until March)
----- Doug
Hobie

Re: Opinions on newer issue cold weather military boots

Post by Hobie »

I would say that staining is the LAST thing I worry about in a civilian boot. I only worried about it in service cause in my day we POLISHED them. Boots are made for use not for show. That said I'd expect rough out to stain from moisture of any kind. Seems to me you would have to dope 'em to keep them water resistant.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
donniedee
Levergunner

Post by donniedee »

my professional opinion on these boots, im a police officer and have a pair of the same boots but in full black leather I LOVE THEM yes they were alot of cash BUT i have had them for over 12 years!!! been resouled 3 times still going strong very stiff when you first get them but now thre like house shoes your feet will thank you TRUST ME :)
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I have a couple pair of Danner boots I was issued years ago (1995). I liked them so much that I have had one pair re-soled twice, and the other pair re-soled once. I love Danner boots; some of the warmest, most comfortable boots I have worn. I don't wear them much anymore because I can't with the ABU uniform...I have to wear sage green or tan boots.

I also have a pair of steal-toed Danners, but never really wore them because they were two big in the toe area, but they were still warm and comfy.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Buddy of mine shoes horses while wearing Danner boots. He won't wear any other brand.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The new Marine temperate weather boots are nice. I have been wearing them for awhile now and like them. I haven't had a pair of the Danner boots but know many Marines that do they hold up well and stay water resistant for a long time. As for staining they make cleaning kits for the new military boots that do a great job of getting rid of stains even those pesky motorcycle shifter stains.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thank you guys for the feedback, thats pretty much what i needed to know. :D

I knew the boots themselves were well regarded, just on the fence about the leather --- I never thought black boots would go out of fashion with the military though --- keeping a high polish on our boots used to be a point-of-pride thing. Kind of like comparing who has the sharpest Ka-bar.

I am still kind of anal about a lot of things though, so having gear that is easy to keep clean is a factor for me
----- Doug
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I wore mine at Ft. Carson, CO for a number of years and they were the bees knees. You still have to stay moving if it's say 10 or below, even with good socks. The only things that worked for us if we were not moving in those conditions were the vapor barrier boots. In warm weather, the Ft. Lewis's will be a bit heavy and hot. I think they would be the perfect all around hunting boot for Fall/Winter, and wish I still had a pair.

PS: my inclination would be to get the finished leather but have never had the rough out so can't say for sure.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

While not Danner, I wore rough-out tan boots my last year in, and while deployed. Even in rainstorms they don't really get "dirty" just a little darker. I wore mine in and out of Humvees, aircraft, and everything else for over a year and they still look basically new.

Danners last forever. If in doubt, get the black ones and polish them, but the Goretex type are REALLY REALLY waterproof. Wear good socks.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson