Rough 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Rough 39A

Post by Swampman »

I traded a 10-22 for it. The eroded wood around the receiver bothers me most. It feeds a little sluggish but it's very accurate with subsonics in the backyard. I think a clean & lube will cure the feeding. It's had a scope mounted on the barrel at some point.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rough 39A

Post by rjohns94 »

I like it. I bet if it could talk, it would have a few stories of days in the woods. I know its in good hands. Will love to see what you do with it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OH BOY, THERE IS A TRUE DIAMOND-IN-THE-ROUGH. NOTE IT IS D&T'd FOR RECEIVER SIGHTS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

"If I just sand this oil stained wood a little more, I'll get down to dry wood" Yep, did it myself when I was a kid.. there is most likely a company that will have new wood for it.. looks like a little trace of case hardening on the receiver.. drilled and tapped (factory) for tang and receiver sights.. A very worthwhile project.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's also set up for a Weaver N2 scope mount.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Marlin D/T'd some Model 39a barrels for the Weaver side mount, but that wasn't until ca.1955 - about 8 years (or so) after that puppy was born.

Those 1940's M-39a's are usually pretty accurate after a good barrel scrubbing to get the lead out - well worth restoring IMHO.

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Terry Murbach wrote:OH BOY, THERE IS A TRUE DIAMOND-IN-THE-ROUGH. NOTE IT IS D&T'd FOR RECEIVER SIGHTS.
And tang sight too. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

So you think it was made in the 1940s? I can't quite make the serial number.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Presuming an original stock - fat forend/no PG cap/no whiteline spacer = 1940's, since PG caps & W/L spacers didn't start until 1950 or 51 IIRC.

If you're having a hard time reading the SN, pull the buttstock - Marlin marked the SN's in the wood of the tang area, so the stock could be matched back up with their proper receivers after finishing.

If the SN there mostly matches what you can see of the SN on the lower tang, it's most likely the original stock after an abortion.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It's got "character" and really isn't that cosmetically challenged. It shoots straight and that's what counts.

The wood is low on the tang because someone sanded it. A couple coats of Tru-Oil will do wonders for it. It may feed correctly because the 2 halves are not mated fully. See if the takedown screw is loose. Also check the cartridge guide, at the top of the receiver. It may need to be bent out a little or the screw is loose.

What is the serial number "letter" prefix under the lever? This will date it.

All pre-microgrooved 39A's were d&t'd for both tang sights and receiver sights.

These are all Marlin tang sights that would work/fit your 39A. The vernier is the only repro shown and if you want it let me know....$45 delivered. It has screws too.

This is the period correct Lyman 66MC that would fit it, but you would probably want one with some wear.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think it's great the way it is.......DRT shooter of squill and rats. Don't have to worry if it gets banged around a bit....it's perfect, and I mean that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Under the buttplate is neatly carved CG 1947

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Swampman wrote:Under the buttplate is neatly carved CG 1947
The serial number "letter" prefix should be "D", for 1947.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It is D189XX. I think the mag tube spring is a little weak. I want to try it with several cartridges in the tube. I'll probably redo the wood and see what it looks like. Dumb question is it a 39 or a 39A? The barrel seems like it's 22".

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Marlin 39A made in 1955. I wanted a checkered stock & forend, and was able to buy what I wanted from Midway. Very minor fitting was required. Here is a link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... 766***9216***

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

It's a 39A and the barrel should be & does look to be 24", from the breech face to muzzle.

Push a solvent coated patch up the inner mag tube, then several dry ones. It may just be gunked up inside.

You really got the better end of the trade. There a millions of 10/22's, but not a lot of early, pre-microgrooved, 39A's.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! What kind of 10/22 did you trade for it?

That's interesting "shrinkage" of the wood. Think someone did try "aggressive refinishing", or is that result of storage conditions?
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I'd say that was a good trade!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It was a regular Walmart 10-22 that I'd dropped into a Ruger checkered walnut stock. It just sat in the safe & I never shot it.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Certainly worth the trade of a 10-22. Great score. 1886.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Looks like a challange for the Roto-Carve.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

got one very similar, had to "fix" it some though.
DSC_0079.JPG
jdad, marlin rimfire expert extraordinaire, you sure that's enough tang sights? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Under the buttplate is neatly carved CG 1947]

AFAIK, Marlin never marked anything into the wood of the buttstock, under the BP - the SN's were stamped into the tang area at the front/wrist end of the buttstock, not carved.

It sounds like something a new orwner might have done - carved their initials and the year of purchase.

At least there were no electro-engraving pencils around, for new owners to etch their SSN on the receiver, back then ! :mrgreen:

Cottonwood Mike
Levergunner

Post by Cottonwood Mike »

My first rifle, given to me by my dad in 1968, is also a 1947, D prefix 39A. He bought it new in Colusa, California around 1950 while doing his student teaching there. He had a Weaver half inch 4X scope mounted on it. I received it when I was 14. I turn 56 next week and still have it, with the scope still mounted. It's a very accurate rifle. It brings back good memories of him. He died a year ago at age 87. I miss him.
Then about five years ago I found the same rifle( a 1946 c prefix model) at Huntington's in Oroville for $349. When I went back to get it, they had gotten in a R prefix 1957 Mountie. It was marked $279. Difficult decision here. So I did what any self respecting lever gunner would do-I bought them both. Sometimes you get lucky. They're both nice guns. I am very blessed in Model 39A's.

Regards,

Mike
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

pokey wrote:got one very similar, had to "fix" it some though.
DSC_0079.JPG
jdad, marlin rimfire expert extraordinaire, you sure that's enough tang sights? :lol:
I was Boy Scout.......Be Prepared. :D
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I'd made that trade in a heartbeat, congrats.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Shoot it as is and not worry about dinging it up, or a restoration project. A winner either way. Congratulations. 8)
NRA Life Member
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would enjoy it as is and keep a lookout for a replacement stock. Great trade!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Check your PM. I found some parts for you. :wink:
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

Looks like it might not be fully clamped together. That could cause the problems.

Bruce

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I'll give ya both my 10/22's for it!!! .........Didn't think so.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

After much soaking in CRC & WD-40 and tapping with a hammer handle I was finally able to break it down. There was a ton of crud in there. I cleaned it real good and lubed it with Mil-Spec gun oil. I goes completely back together now and seems to function better.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

1886 wrote:Certainly worth the trade of a 10-22. Great score. 1886.
+ 1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Shoots like a champ now.

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I took it to the range yesterday and I was able to pick of small pieces of clay pigeon on the 25 yard berm really easy. I can't shoot very well without a scope so I felt good. It did hang up one time but I was able to fix it. I want to find a better butt stock for her.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:D I've always been on record that ugly 39s are the best value out there.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV