"Hunting with Leverguns" article in N. American Hunter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

"Hunting with Leverguns" article in N. American Hunter

Post by CaptainFinn »

I read the article last night. Appears to be by Lane Pierce.

According to him, the only leverguns used for hunting today are Marlin XLRS and "older" Winchester 94's and Savage model 99"s (since they have been discontinued).

No mention of the various toggle-link Henrys, 66's/73's, and the various Winchester / Browning 86's, 92's, and 95's (all of which are still manufactured in limited numbers in Japan.)

No mention of the 76 Winchester copies made by Uberti.

But take heart, the Mossberg 464 is a wonderful new rifle that will fill the shoes of the Winchester 94--and he is happy to report that FN will resume Winchester 94 production next year!!!

Oh and in the same issue Rick Jamison strongly recommends that the .357 magnum in a lever action NEVER be used for deer, because it just doesn't have enough power.

What the (rhymes with 'DUCK') ?
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: "Hunting with Leverguns" article in N. American Hunter

Post by nemhed »

Ignorance is easier to forgive than stupidity... Is this article on-line anywhere?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Another waste of good ink :roll:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Cluck rhymes with duck GEEZ what some people get paid to to say so poorly. Article prob didn't say for more info come to Paco's levergun forum.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

MODEL 71.
'Nuff said.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I didn't read the article as I don't get any paper or on line magazines. But the comments above make me wonder who's products he's trying to sell.
He obviously knows nothing, or chooses to ignore all those models mentioned.

And the comment on the .357 in rifles proves Rick Jamison obviously does his hunting from his desk chair.

So just a thought, I think I'm still allowed those, why doesn't someone with contact info invite them to join us for a while. They just might learn something.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Rick Jamison???? Who left the door open and let him back in??
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Leverluver wrote:Rick Jamison???? Who left the door open and let him back in??
Rick Jamison --- i thought he died a couple of years ago. I still laugh when i hear the song "Superfreak" though , thinking of Dave Chappelles impersonation

"Im Rick Jamison, B----- ! "
----- Doug
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I love my states gun laws. No hokey stuff about "must hunt deer with grenade launcher to be humane" It just says any centerfire .22 caliber or above, any pistol (same rule), or any shotgun with slugs or buckshot. Also has separate provisions for primitive and antique design guns.
I'm glad our rules aren't from idiots like this guy who think 1200-1600 ftlbs of ME behind a fat slug won't kill a deer.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i hope the millions of deer, elk, moose and bear shot with the .357,44-40 and 44 henry rimfire flat can't read and comeback to life :shock: . ate a venision roast 2 nights ago that THOUGHT IT WAS DEAD after falling to the .357. hpoe IT doesn't come back to life. do these writers actually hunt in the real world, under real conditions :cry:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Streetstar wrote:
Leverluver wrote:Rick Jamison???? Who left the door open and let him back in??
Rick Jamison --- i thought he died a couple of years ago. I still laugh when i hear the song "Superfreak" though , thinking of Dave Chappelles impersonation

"Im Rick Jamison, B----- ! "
Dude, that was Rick James! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

For those that don't recall, Rick Jamison was the plaintiff in the Winchester short mag lawsuit. He was laying low for a while but I guess he has resurfaced.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Rick was the real deal when it comes to varmint hunt – I am thinking specifically coyotes.
Rick and his wife hunted with a Savage Model 99 in 358 Winchester. Rick wrote one of the first articles on the 307 and 356 Winchester when they came out and he wrote the first serious reloading article on both cartridges. He’s not new to lever guns. Still, I wonder where he got the idea the 357 levergun is not enough for average close range deer hunting.
Slim
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

This month's "Rifle" magazine has a similarly titled article by Brian Pearce that is much better. (although most of the info is re-gurgitated stuff the forum members here have seen a number of times im sure)

If it gets newer shooters interested in 45-70's , 30-30's and other awesome cartridges, i'm all for it
----- Doug
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

having talked to a bunch of guides who recommend big calibers for stuff. They recommend this stuff because a large percentage of their customers can't shoot worth a hoot and they have to make up for lack of practice with sheer power. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.