OT: MI Poachers Camp ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT: MI Poachers Camp ?

Post by 86er »

Game Wardens were tipped off to night shooting coming from Saint Martin's Island in Michigan. They found a poachers camp, or so they thought:
Last edited by 86er on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: MI Poachers Camp

Post by Buck Elliott »

Greedy, Scum-suckin' Bastages...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Good heavens! What does one do with that much venison? Did they catch the poaches?

I really don't mind a man poaching a deer to feed his family in hard times, but I think that's not the case here.

Cat
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Flaming heck, thats a big opperation.

They are in deep poop now!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

We had an old game warden back in Mt who would go to this certain fellow that had a BUNCH of kids and not to much money, and tell the guy he(warden) was going to leave town for a day or two and he shouldn't go up to this mountain or that meadow while he was gone. :wink: . That was a good thing, this here is just wrong! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

fordwannabe wrote:We had an old game warden back in Mt who would go to this certain fellow that had a BUNCH of kids and not to much money, and tell the guy he(warden) was going to leave town for a day or two and he shouldn't go up to this mountain or that meadow while he was gone. :wink: . That was a good thing, this here is just wrong! Tom
That is how you get respect and an extra pair of eyes on the place, this warden was smart.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Those that did that should be "castrated and have both their thumbs cut off"!
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Actually, the camp and hunters were all pretty much squared away. There were 30+ bucks there, but some hunters had failed to tag their deer before hanging them or dragging them into camp. Something like 10 citations for improper tagging were given out. (likely something all of us have done at one point, not tagging a dead deer immediately). Looks like it might be a pretty good place to hunt, if you can get an invite...lol. Those deer were pretty much all cull bucks.

Here are a couple of links telling "The Rest of the Story" as they say:

http://bloodbro.com/messageboard/viewto ... f=8&t=8640

http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=29496
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Buck Elliott wrote:Greedy, Scum-suckin' Bastages...
+1
It is not the critic who counts
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When Did this Happen? I live in northeast Ohio and just came in from pulling snow off of My roof. They should be buried in snow in Michigan...................................................... These poachers probably supply Hi-End restaurants with venison. years ago I and a family member who had a well known butcher shop were approached by a couple of "Gentlemen" at a bar. they would call with a drop-off point for the deer, and pickup the steaks after another phone call. We very politely declined the offer. :shock: .
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

There was no poaching going on here, if you read the "rest of the story" it explains what actually took place .
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: MI Camp ?

Post by Modoc ED »

86er wrote:Game Wardens were tipped off to night shooting coming from Saint Martin's Island in Michigan. They found a poachers camp, or so they thought:
No poaching going on afterall. Thanks for the picture and thanks to others for posting the links to the true facts.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: MI Poachers Camp ?

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Very tricky, Joe. I feel silly. When I first saw the photo and quickly read your blurb I thought - bad thoughts. Then I saw that there is more to the story linked by others. When I went back to your post I see you put a question mark in your title and "...or so they thought" in your blurb. You have a good knack at delivering news that is not always what it seems! I guess that is why you write books and I just read them. You could've been a decent newscaster, or at least the guy that creates the headlines titles. Great way to get people to think before passing judgement, and to read the whole thing before jumping to conclusion. What a neat place, I'm glad that was an intentional hunt with (hopefully) a useful outcome. Kudos to those hunters too.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Just goes to show, most people don't read most of the posts, most of the time. What were we talking about?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I knew something was fishy as soon as I saw the picture. A poacher isn't going to have that many bucks hanging and not a single doe!
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:I knew something was fishy as soon as I saw the picture. A poacher isn't going to have that many bucks hanging and not a single doe!
+1
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My feeling is that 10 of the Deer were poached.I don't care if they had the tags or not.A deer hanging in camp with NO TAG is to me a POACHED DEER. No Excuse!

Another thing that burns me is the guy's that have their wife/female cousins etc. get their licenses apply for all the extra tags(like each can take 4 deer) then the two females which really don't even hunt give the guy their tags while they are cooking or whatever at home and the guy is 30 miles away shooting like 12 deer.
No wonder the guy's are not getting much on the State Lands(cause them guy's sure are not hunting on mine) :roll:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

10 untagged bucks, 10 tags available. Where is the problem?

The game wardens were justified in investigating, but citing the hunters is nothing more or less than a petty abuse of authority.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

FWiedner wrote:10 untagged bucks, 10 tags available. Where is the problem?

The game wardens were justified in investigating, but citing the hunters is nothing more or less than a petty abuse of authority.

:|
OK, Must be the deer were alive and living that way on their own on the pole(fat,dumb,happy) when shot"??.(but even if you shot them up there, they still need to be tagged anyway)

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

What am I missing,other than we do have Laws for hunting.Or is it ok to break these too???????? :roll:
10 untagged Bucks???????/

In NYS, Those guys that are on that site at the time of the raid,even though they tagged their 1 deer,they are subject to being charged with the involvment/participation of a large scale illegal poaching operation and are subject to $1000X10=$10K fine each??????????? :roll: :idea: :?:

Don't think so call the DEC in Albany,Ny Who shot the ten untagged deer????(maybe the guys who already tagged one,or maybe the guys with the tags"on their back)??????

So let's see,also they will lose
their Hunting rights/probably guns/and the neighbors/friends/relatives I bet will be real proud of that????? :lol: :roll: :?:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

madman4570 wrote:My feeling is that 10 of the Deer were poached.I don't care if they had the tags or not.A deer hanging in camp with NO TAG is to me a POACHED DEER. No Excuse!
Not only were those 10 deer poached, but in either the State of Wisconsin or Michigan it is a $2,200.00 fine, and loss of any Hunting/Fishing rights in either state for 3 years for not immediately tagging any deer before field dressing. That law is right in the Hunting pamphlet they give you when you purchase a license.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

madman4570 wrote:My feeling is that 10 of the Deer were poached.I don't care if they had the tags or not.A deer hanging in camp with NO TAG is to me a POACHED DEER. No Excuse!

Another thing that burns me is the guy's that have their wife/female cousins etc. get their licenses apply for all the extra tags(like each can take 4 deer) then the two females which really don't even hunt give the guy their tags while they are cooking or whatever at home and the guy is 30 miles away shooting like 12 deer.
No wonder the guy's are not getting much on the State Lands(cause them guy's sure are not hunting on mine) :roll:
What they did was the deer hunting equivalent of speeding. They got their ticket and what they did was wrong. But let's not turn what they did into the deer hunting equivalent of vehicular homicide. Doesn't make it right but doesn't make it a hangin offence either. As for the extra tags, another speeding ticket if even that. A tag is a tag. A person paid for a license and a tag, after that who gives a rip who shot it. If the meat from the deer was used and the state was paid their fee I could care less. When I begin to have a problem is when the fee isn't paid or the meat is wasted. Don't expect me to be too upset over 30 tags and 30 dead deer. Jealous maybe but not upset.

LK
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Biggest dirty trick in the book,kill the deer/gut it/take it where ever/cut it up/Go out again with unused tag.
Over and over and over! If they get caught(JEEPERS Officer I forgot to put the darn Tag on)
Someone doing that is a criminal or so stupid they should not have a gun????????
Cause if their that stupid they might mistake a human for a deer or hurt themselves. :evil:

Bigahh, +1 :wink:

Where I come from it's simple,someone does that they are a poacher! TRASH!