POLITICS - DC vs Heller case potentially screwed by DOJ

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

POLITICS - DC vs Heller case potentially screwed by DOJ

Post by otteray »

What is going on here!?
We need to vote in an administration that truly supports gun rights.
For the first time in 70 years the 2nd Amendment goes to the Supreme Court and this is what the administration responds with. :(

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2008/ ... file_1.php
otteray
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

This is why I am voting for Fred
otteray
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What it says is that the benefits of a private individual being allowed to exercise their rights have to be weighed against the prevailing interests of the state.

It's late in the game for this administration, so it goes without saying that all pretense of respect for Constitutional rights can be safely disregarded.

Are there any remaining questions about whether or not this "Republican" government is a friend of the 2nd Amendment?

:x
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

That thing from the solicitor general doesn't even deserve to be quoted here. There is so much "muddy the waters" tripe in the statement that it sheds doubt on the future of the entire Bill of Rights.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

it sheds doubt on the future of the entire Bill of Rights.

I wonder if the only doubt left is how much longer before they are all gone.

How long will the next dark age last? Where will the next home of freedom emerge?

I wish I had a clue.

Tom

ps I'm still in for the battle though.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

We are The Home of Freedom.

Freedom has to be paid for, every day, by us.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

homefront wrote:We are The Home of Freedom.

Exactly right :!: Bad times are coming, prepare now or suffer more later.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop...

LeverBob
Patriot
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

A good start is voting for our Constitutution, Bill of Rights & Ammedments (that agree with our consitution) and advice of our fore fathers (who had delt with this stuff before).

Does Fred support the current administration? Or has he been critical of it concerning our Constitution?
:?
Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

LeverBob wrote:

LeverBob
Patriot
The other shoe...

WASHINGTON--If the Bush administration gets its way, all Americans will be required to present Real ID-compliant identification documents--or risk facing "inconveniences" at airports and federal buildings--by 2017.

By Dec. 1, 2014, all Americans under the age of 50 will be expected to present Real ID-compliant licenses when boarding airplanes and entering federal buildings. Exactly three years later, all Americans, regardless of age, will have to meet those requirements.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-984892 ... ag=newsmap

When do you think we'll have to start lining up to get our SSNs tatooed on our forearms?

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Well, we are the home of freedom now. Switzerland was long before us.

"The nations are as a drop of the bucket..."

There is no guarantee we will always be a free nation, or a nation at all.

I pray freedom prevails. I have to remember that propaganda is a part of any struggle. If we give up due to discouragement prematurely, the enemy will be very relieved!

Thanks for the reminders...

Tom
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

its amazing that conservatives trusted Bush and his Administration. When the so called "Patriot Act" was signed it soon became obvious the man had no regard for Individual Rights. This is just an open and blatent extension of what he has been doing. someone wrote here the other day that Liberals should be very happy with Bush as he has done everything they have wanted to. It is true. :cry:
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

If we give up due to discouragement
Tom,

We won't do that. What we will do is speak up, loudly, when un-American squealing and whining is heard, and stick up for our God given rights. By American I'm not referring to the policies of this administration or any other; I refer to the American Constitution. The Constitution stands separate from and above any actions taken by government; it is meant to keep government in check. If we don't hold our leaders accountable under the Constitution, the shenanigans they get away with is OUR fault.
We are too quiet, too compliant, too uninvolved and too disinterested for anyone else to keep what's right in sight. Our Founding Fathers spent a lot of time documenting what they thought was right, for our good as a nation. Bit by bit, we gave it all away after WW2 because we became too comfortable in our national affluence. It's time to rebuild. We could start right here.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Giving up the Constitution goes back at least to the Louisiana purchase, but I digress...

Anyway, I have taken an oath to defend the Constitution, even though it was a while ago.

I'm still for fulfilling that.

back to work then...

Tom
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Vote the rascals out. We the People have to exercise one of the few rights which has not been trashed too much--vote. Don't let anyone be a career politician because they become too corrupt. no more than 2 terms, no matter who it is. It really is that simple. If the supporters of the 2nd Amendment got an independent elected (especially by write in vote), we'd suddenly the most powerful special interest this country had ever seen. That may be a bit unrealistic, but the 80 million gun owners of this country could totally change who gets to be the next President. Who would you most trust about gun laws. I know, I know they're all bad to a degree but we gotta one of 'em.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

If your serious your only choice is Ron Paul.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

I've started looking at Ron Paul.

All the pundits are against him. he must be on to something.

Tom
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I know that this is going to pee some on here off, but I wonder where the NRA is in this matter with the Republicans. What happens if the second amendment is secure, and there are no longer questions regarding it's intent to allow citizens to own guns? What happens to the salaries of the NRA people?? I have not been a member of the NRA since the backdoor deal they pulled concerning strengthening the Brady Bill. I am mad at many of the Republican stances lately. Sorry if I upset anyone off, but it is a question to think about.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

FWiedner wrote:
LeverBob wrote:

LeverBob
Patriot
The other shoe...

WASHINGTON--If the Bush administration gets its way, all Americans will be required to present Real ID-compliant identification documents--or risk facing "inconveniences" at airports and federal buildings--by 2017.

By Dec. 1, 2014, all Americans under the age of 50 will be expected to present Real ID-compliant licenses when boarding airplanes and entering federal buildings. Exactly three years later, all Americans, regardless of age, will have to meet those requirements.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-984892 ... ag=newsmap

When do you think we'll have to start lining up to get our SSNs tatooed on our forearms?

Then, my friend it will be time to become a Constitutional American. No government agency will EVER permanently put ANYTHING on me.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

From the NRA yesterday/today -

Statement of the National Rifle Association By Wayne LaPierre And Chris Cox On The Pending U.S. Supreme Court Case

Saturday, January 12, 2008

In the coming months, the U.S. Supreme Court will consider the constitutionality of Washington, D.C.’s ban on handgun ownership and self-defense in law-abiding residents’ homes. The Court will first address the question of whether the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as embodied in the Bill of Rights, protects the rights of individuals or a right of the government. If the Court agrees that this is an individual right, they will then determine if D.C.’s self-defense and handgun bans are constitutional.

The position of the National Rifle Association is clear. The Second Amendment protects the fundamental, individual right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for any lawful purpose. Further, any law infringing this freedom, including a ban on self-defense and handgun ownership, is unconstitutional and provides no benefit to curbing crime. Rather, these types of restrictions only leave the law-abiding more susceptible to criminal attack.

The U.S. Government, through its Solicitor General, has filed an amicus brief in this case. We applaud the government’s recognition that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental, individual right that is “central to the preservation of liberty.â€
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

otteray wrote:This is why I am voting for Fred
I thought we needed a candidate that truly supports gun rights. Fred is just a professional party hack. Besides, he will drop out after South Carolina.

http://www.gunowners.org/pres08/thompson2.htm

Ron Paul is the only candidate with an unequivocal record on gun rights. But because he has been so marginalized in the Eastern Establishment Press, he has no chance.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Then you will only further this kind of tripe. Fred is first and foremost a TRIAL LAWYER. In other words, he takes money from the highest bidder to do their bidding.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

[quote="Ysabel Kid"]From the NRA yesterday/today -

Statement of the National Rifle Association By Wayne LaPierre And Chris Cox On The Pending U.S. Supreme Court Case

In the coming months, the U.S. Supreme Court will consider the constitutionality of Washington, D.C.’s ban on handgun ownership and self-defense in law-abiding residents’ homes. The Court will first address the question of whether the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as embodied in the Bill of Rights, protects the rights of individuals or a right of the government. If the Court agrees that this is an individual right, they will then determine if D.C.’s self-defense and handgun bans are constitutional.

The position of the National Rifle Association is clear. The Second Amendment protects the fundamental, individual right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for any lawful purpose. Further, any law infringing this freedom, including a ban on self-defense and handgun ownership, is unconstitutional and provides no benefit to curbing crime. Rather, these types of restrictions only leave the law-abiding more susceptible to criminal attack.

The U.S. Government, through its Solicitor General, has filed an amicus brief in this case. We applaud the government’s recognition that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental, individual right that is “central to the preservation of liberty.â€
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

while one may contest the validity of the NRA's position on many issues, it must be understood that it does give voice to gun owners.

once a person looks at some of the proposed laws, they aren't so bad or idiotic as the may seem at first.

after there was much scrutiny by the authorities, it was ascertained the shooter in the virgina tech was indeed a "mental case" that "slipped through the cracks".

i think we all would agree that people like the shooter SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCESS TO LEGIMATE FIREARMS PURCHASING and there need be an adequate screening process to deny such person access.

remember when we were called "jack booted thugs"? hmmmmmmm...musta struck a nerve of some politician...could it be that the NRA and like orginazations are the voices of reason in the insane world of keeping legislators/legislation REASONALBE?

IMHO, most legislators are NOT reasonable (as is evidenced by both proposed and existing laws) when it comes to gun laws therefore we need to control, by way of our vote, who we allow to make our laws.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

El Mac wrote:
Then you will only further this kind of tripe. Fred is first and foremost a TRIAL LAWYER. In other words, he takes money from the highest bidder to do their bidding.
How is he "first and foremost" a trial layer? You mean like John Edwards? Or like Abe Lincoln?
I think he has been quite consistant is his 2nd amendment stance as well as the other issues brought up in the debates.
He gives clear answers, not changing the subject to avoid answering.
otteray
Bret4207
Levergunner

Post by Bret4207 »

I don't think Paul has a chance. Besides, his answer to the middle east is to let Israel nuke the Arabs. You think gas is high now, picture it when the gulf states are one giant piece of glass! Although Rep. Paul is strong in some ares, he's dismal in many others. I've been all through his website and his postings and speeches. "We'll just do it..." isn't a plan.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

otteray wrote:
El Mac wrote:
How is he "first and foremost" a trial layer? You mean like John Edwards? Or like Abe Lincoln?
I think he has been quite consistant is his 2nd amendment stance as well as the other issues brought up in the debates.
He gives clear answers, not changing the subject to avoid answering.
There was only one Abe Lincoln, love him or hate him.

John Edwards come a dime per six pack.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:From the NRA yesterday/today -

The position of the National Rifle Association is clear. The Second Amendment protects the fundamental, individual right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for any lawful purpose. Further, any law infringing this freedom, including a ban on self-defense and handgun ownership, is unconstitutional and provides no benefit to curbing crime. Rather, these types of restrictions only leave the law-abiding more susceptible to criminal attack....
All I have to say is:

BS.

They are lying through their Big Government teeth. If they beileved that RKBA was an actual RIGHT they wouldn't have argued for and supported a law that makes gun ownership a PRIVELEGE based upon whether or not the Government thinks your are "sane"or not.

It's either a RIGHT or it's not. If the government has ANY say in it, it's not.

That's how it works.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
The Court will first address the question of whether the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as embodied in the Bill of Rights, protects the rights of individuals or a right of the government.
"Protects a right of the government"? There are no rights of government in the
Bill of Rights!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE OUR RIGHTS. Rights the government is told to leave alone no
matter what!!!!!!!
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
The thing is: It's mental stuff this time, before long it'll be
parking tickets! Whaddya gonna do then?

Paul