OT - Shooting Gramp's Rem 141 (Needs trigger work?)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

OT - Shooting Gramp's Rem 141 (Needs trigger work?)

Post by AR-Trvlr »

I finally got my act together, found some .30 Remington dies, and put some loads together. I took 20 rounds out this afternoon to test things out. All in all, not too bad. By all means minute of deer.

The kicker, though, was the trigger. Holy moly was it heavy. Perhaps I've been spoiled by target triggers, but this was awful.

Now I have a dilemma: Should I keep it just as he left it, and suffer with a terrible trigger, or should I take it to someone to get things cleaned up a bit? If I take it to someone, who? I wouldn't want just anyone working on this family heirloom....

BTW, are the triggers on the Rem 141's 'difficult' to work on?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Shooting Gramp's Rem 141 (Needs trigger work?)

Post by TedH »

If it was good enough for Gramps, I'd leave well enough alone. It's never going to be a target rifle, and with some more shooting you may get accustomed to the trigger.
NRA Life Member
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Yes, the 141 trigger is somewhat difficult to work on without compromising safety. I have had several of these over the years. They have a fairly typical trigger for the days in which they were designed, heavy maybe, but I would not say bad. Accuracy with a rifle is largely a function of trigger control. Light triggers can be easier to achieve accuracy with, but a given firearm will shoot just as well with a heavy trigger so long as the shooter exercises proper control.

Compare the trigger of your 141 with a military Mauser, Springfield, Lee Enfield, Garand, M-1 Carbine, etc. and I think you will find them to all be vey similar. Some will even be "worse" than you think this one is I can guarantee.

If you tinker with the 141 and end up needing parts, good luck finding them. Just learn to use it, it is a hunting rifle, not a target gun.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My 141/30 has a nice trigger.

Have you pulled the bolt & action for cleaning ? If not the trigger & sear might just be very dirty. Most owners did not break down the action for cleaning, just oiled the piece & placed it Muzzel-up, the lube goes to the trigger and can build-up with dirt & grime.

Tear it down for a through cleaning, I think you may be surprised how better the piece operates. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The triggers on these Remington pumpguns are not target quality by any means, but are not all that bad for a hunting rifle. I suspect your Grandads old rifle's trigger is filled with old oil, grease, grit and grime. A good cleaning and lubrication will probably produce some very good results.