Starting to reload 357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FredGarvin
Levergunner

Starting to reload 357

Post by FredGarvin »

Hello

I'm more and more convinced that I have to start reloading 357 mag. I don't have much money, but I want to get equipment that I won't outgrow quickly. I'll likely be doing low volume reloading in 357 initially, and later in 45 acp. Should I get a kit or pick up components. Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks.
Remind politicians that they represent, not rule, you.
Personal liberty = personal responsibility
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Starting to reload 357

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =reloading

There - did a search and found this thread for you. Its got good information. There are other older threads that are similar.

Here's a copy of my reply - he was wanting to reload 44 mag:

---------------------

Well given 44 Mag and a tight budget, then you may consider a Lee hand press kit, dies, safety scale, load book and dipper set.

Hand press kit:

$36 at Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=624416

Lee Manual $13

Scale $22

Powder measure set $8

Carbide die set $27

That will get you going. $106

About the only less expensive way is the Lee Loader and it does work but is very very slow... I'd still recommend the manual and the Lee Loader is $22, so $38 and you can be in business. If you are only looking to do 50 rounds at a time and don't mind taking 2 1/2 hours to get it accomplished, then this will do.

-------------------

This wasn't long ago and the prices are up to date.

Hope that helps.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have been eloading off and on for 39 years and I still have and use all the stuff pictured by O.S.O.K. (amoung a wholr lot of other equipment). Can't go wrong starting there. Here's some more info on entry level reloading:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_no ... tes.htm/51

Also, Lee Loaders can be quick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZy ... playnext=1
Last edited by mikld on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

I'll second what O.S.O.K. says except for the Lee Loader part. Do yourself and your nerves a favor and skip that one. Loading ammo on those is a pain in rear. You literally have to hammer on the tool and case for each and every step. Including seating the primer. My nerves got raw the second primer that went off as I tried to seat it.
And I guarantee if you do not live alone those around you will tire of the hammering long before you do.

Much better is the Lee Hand Press pictured. I have one set up for .45 Colt and I can store the entire press, dies, priming tool, funnel, cartridge block, pound of powder, 500primers, 500 bullets in a small tool box.

One comment I will make is buy the best press you can afford. Cheep is too expensive. In the Lee line try to buy a solid cast iron press. Contrary to some others I doubt the multi-part or aluminum presses are durable enough for long term use.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FredGarvin
Levergunner

Post by FredGarvin »

wow, lots of info; thanks so much.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Whoa, that old guy in the first video sure didn't mess around!

OK, so you can go faster with the Lee Loader - but like Joe says "whack whack whack" and occasionally "bang". ;) But they are inexpensive and very portable.

Oh, and the reason that all of this is "Lee" is that Lee occupies the lower end of the market but still produces a quality product.

If you had about $300 to spend, I'd recommend the RCBS Master Reloading kit ($240) and dies, etc. That's what I started with and there's no better "base" kit available IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

But Joe... I LOVE mu Lee Loader(s). I just don't care for seating the primer with a hammer. :lol: That's why there are a plethora of inexpensive Hand Primers out there. :wink:

Really, IMO the only reason for the "Knuckle cracker" Hand Loader is for when Lee doesn't have a Classic Loader in your caliber.

That said, one of the best deals on the market is and will continue to be the Lee Anniversary Kit (http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/bro ... ersaryPack)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OI,

Do you remember the original small Lee hand priming tool?
Original Lee Prime Tool.jpg
The primers detonating in the Lee Loader was the reason I bought the first one. I quit using the LL to prime with very soon after getting it.

I "think" I got my first Lee Loader in 67. In 2007 I took it out, and picked out a box of brass and decided to load a box like I did when I first started out.
Wham, wham wham wham ... oh my aching head. It took me one cartridge to remember why I bought an RCBS press and put the Lee Loader away.
I finished that nostalgia box and will most likely never use it again.

However I won't be getting rid of it either. Kinda dumb, huh?

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:OI,

The primers detonating in the Lee Loader was the reason I bought the first one. I quit using the LL to prime with very soon after getting it.

I "think" I got my first Lee Loader in 67. In 2007 I took it out, and picked out a box of brass and decided to load a box like I did when I first started out.
Wham, wham wham wham ... oh my aching head. It took me one cartridge to remember why I bought an RCBS press and put the Lee Loader away.

Joe
Nope not dumb at all. My Lee Loaders are my "Range" & BoB reloaders Nothing easier to work up a load with while at the shooting bench. Lousy for volume, but handy as all getout for everything else.

But it IS a great way for a beginner to really understand how reloading actually works too...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Ironsights wrote:
J Miller wrote:OI,

Joe
Nope not dumb at all. My Lee Loaders are my "Range" & BoB reloaders Nothing easier to work up a load with while at the shooting bench. Lousy for volume, but handy as all getout for everything else.

But it IS a great way for a beginner to really understand how reloading actually works too...

I think one really great way to use an original Lee Loader would be to buy an arbor press. Then you could press all the steps instead of hamming them. If I wanted to use my Lee Loaders I think I'd go to Harbor Freight and buy one.

Joe
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Fred,

Nice to hear you are wanting to expand your shooting pleasure by hand loading your own ammo. I am so glad that I took the plunge several years ago and learned to hand load my ammo. I now load about a dozen different cartridges and have learned volumes about our sport BECAUSE I took up loading.

So to pay it forward so to speak, if you want, PM me your mailing address and I will send you the Scale, Press, Powder Measure, Lube and Funnel from my old Lee Anniversary Kit for free. The only stipulation is that you buy a proper reloading manual and READ it to learn the safe procedures that go along with this aspect of our shooting sport.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/rlpress2.html

Edit: I'll throw in the priming tool also.
regards

3T
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Some of the best loads I've ever turned out were with a Lee Loader. I used it with a 150 grain Speer bullet in my .30-30 Contender to send three rounds down range and at 50 yards all three were touching.

I also use a paper back book that's ready for the trash on one of my legs to hammer on as it's quieter than banging on a bench.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
leeloader
Levergunner

Post by leeloader »

I have used Lee products for over 35 years. I have never had issues with the products or the ammo I have loaded. I work hard for my money and Lee offers the product to allow me to shoot more. I would much better be out shooting at the range than looking at a big blue machine in my reloading room. I am sure there is a much better loader but I personnally dont need one! If you want to start loading Lee is the way to go. Now if you can just find components!!!!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:I think one really great way to use an original Lee Loader would be to buy an arbor press. Then you could press all the steps instead of hamming them. If I wanted to use my Lee Loaders I think I'd go to Harbor Freight and buy one. Joe
I got one to use for Paco's "accrizer" tool, but haven't got around to doing much with it yet.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote:I think one really great way to use an original Lee Loader would be to buy an arbor press. Then you could press all the steps instead of hamming them. If I wanted to use my Lee Loaders I think I'd go to Harbor Freight and buy one. Joe
I got one to use for Paco's "accrizer" tool, but haven't got around to doing much with it yet.
You know, when I come over there for a visit I'll bring some .22s and we can test out Paco's tool. I wanna try one before I shell out the $$.¢¢
Hows that?

Joe
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Why don't we suggest eye protection when recommending re-loading gear? It ain't unmanly to use safety glasses when handling primers!
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

3T wrote:Fred,

Nice to hear you are wanting to expand your shooting pleasure by hand loading your own ammo. I am so glad that I took the plunge several years ago and learned to hand load my ammo. I now load about a dozen different cartridges and have learned volumes about our sport BECAUSE I took up loading.

So to pay it forward so to speak, if you want, PM me your mailing address and I will send you the Scale, Press, Powder Measure, Lube and Funnel from my old Lee Anniversary Kit for free. The only stipulation is that you buy a proper reloading manual and READ it to learn the safe procedures that go along with this aspect of our shooting sport.

3T that is a very generous offer, and a great thing to do for an aspiring handloader.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2571 wrote:The primers detonating in the Lee Loader was the reason I bought the first one. I quit using the LL to prime with very soon after getting it.

Why don't we suggest eye protection when recommending re-loading gear? It ain't unmanly to use safety glasses when handling primers!
With the original Lee Loader you don't need eye protection cos you're turning your head wincing and grimacing with your eyes closed every time you try to seat a primer.
Yes it is a good idea to use safety glasses when seating primers.
I do sometimes, most times not.

Primers require an impact of some sort to detonate. Seating them in a hand tool, or a press tool does not impact them at all. The Lee Loader system however does.

Look at the picture of the original Lee Loader way up yonder.
The big silver thing with the knurled ring on it is the sizer die.
( Second from the left in the picture)
Before sizing the fired case you put it in the shell holder (black thing fourth from the left ) and drive out the fired primer with the decapping rod ( black rod on the left with the little pin sticking out of it).
The black thing with the silver rod sticking out to the left ( third from the left ) is the bullet seater and the primer seater.
To use it you drive the fired case into the sizer then put the primer in the middle of the primer seater. There is a little cup in the middle for the primer and a spring loaded disc around the out side of the primer.
You then put the sizer die with the case in it on top of the primer seating die. There is a lip on the primer seating die to center the sizing die.
Then you take that long black rod to the far right in the picture and put it into the case inside the sizing die and then tap it out of the sizing die on top of the primer which seats it ... usually. Some times though this impact will detonate the primer. With the rod down inside the case virtually no primer debris exits the case, but it is darn unnerving when the primer goes off. And if you are not holding on to the rod, I have had the firing primer blow that rod out of the case.

That's why I suggest the hand priming tool.

Joe
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I ALWAYS use eye protection, when handling primers.

I use lots of LEE tools - Lee Loader press for depriming, LEE case lenght gauge cutter and stud, for ANY cartridge I reload, dies for handguns, LEE priming tool, LEE Dippers for small lots of ammo, LEE Factory ( Carbide ) crimp dies, ...

The hand tool won´t be perfect, but the same setup for table use ( "reloader Press" ) has done for an awful amount of .357 ammo ...

I´ve learnt a LOT about ammo and my guns in the process!

Hermann
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

O.S.O.K's pics pretty much cover anything you'll need. I agree with the critics of the old Lee Whack'em loader though. Particularly when the cheapest Lee press goes for only about 24 bucks or so and is good enough to start with. Before you're done though, keep all of that stuff and get the top-of -the line Lee Classic Cast press later.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Warhawk wrote:
3T that is a very generous offer, and a great thing to do for an aspiring handloader.
I will second that! Fred, you would be well served to follow up on this offer. Ditto about getting the reloading manual... Most any will do, Speer, Lee, Lyman, Sierra, et al, as they all describe proper technique. There are some small differences, but nothing that would be considered lessening the safety necessary. Personally, for myself, I like the Lyman Reloading Handbook. And, check out their website, which has a Reloading Tips and Introduction to Introduction to Reloading sections. Sure, their site and manuals are going to be geared toward their products, but... so will Lee and the others. In the basic steps, it doesn't matter which tools (press, etc.) that you use, just that you pay attention to the steps and follow good, safe, consistent practices.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Warhawk wrote:
3T wrote:Fred, Nice to hear you are wanting to expand your shooting pleasure by hand loading your own ammo. I am so glad that I took the plunge several years ago and learned to hand load my ammo. I now load about a dozen different cartridges and have learned volumes about our sport BECAUSE I took up loading. So to pay it forward so to speak, if you want, PM me your mailing address and I will send you the Scale, Press, Powder Measure, Lube and Funnel from my old Lee Anniversary Kit for free. The only stipulation is that you buy a proper reloading manual and READ it to learn the safe procedures that go along with this aspect of our shooting sport. http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/rlpress2.html

That's how I got started in Reloading.

And Photography, and Microscopy/science, and Birdwatching, and Welding, and . . . . .

Thank goodness for the goodness of good folks... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The Lee Hand Press works great for .357, with the carbide dies it's very easy to size cases. Rifle cartridges are harder due to thicker brass, if you get into that you might want a bench-mounted press. But for what you want, the Hand Press is great.

I still use mine for precision tasks because my big press has some wobble in it and occasionally damages cases. Not so with the Hand Press.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I got started into reloading about 6 years ago, and the hand press was my first purchase. I load 9mm, .38/.357, .44/.44 mag and .45-70 using the hand press. I support that choice.
Last edited by alnitak on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
FredGarvin
Levergunner

Post by FredGarvin »

That's unbelievably generous of you, wow. Thank you. I swear that I'll buy and read a reloading manual. I'll PM you in the next day or so. Again, thank you much! :D
FredGarvin
Levergunner

Post by FredGarvin »

Griff wrote:
Warhawk wrote:
I will second that! Fred, you would be well served to follow up on this offer. Ditto about getting the reloading manual... Most any will do, Speer, Lee, Lyman, Sierra, et al, as they all describe proper technique. There are some small differences, but nothing that would be considered lessening the safety necessary. Personally, for myself, I like the Lyman Reloading Handbook. And, check out their website, which has a Reloading Tips and Introduction to Introduction to Reloading sections. Sure, their site and manuals are going to be geared toward their products, but... so will Lee and the others. In the basic steps, it doesn't matter which tools (press, etc.) that you use, just that you pay attention to the steps and follow good, safe, consistent practices.

More good advice, I'll look at the Lyman site. Thanks.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

:)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Whitedog
Levergunner

Post by Whitedog »

O.S.O.K. wrote:http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =reloading

There - did a search and found this thread for you. Its got good information. There are other older threads that are similar.

Here's a copy of my reply - he was wanting to reload 44 mag:

---------------------

Well given 44 Mag and a tight budget, then you may consider a Lee hand press kit, dies, safety scale, load book and dipper set.

Hand press kit:

$36 at Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=624416

Lee Manual $13

Scale $22

Powder measure set $8

Carbide die set $27

That will get you going. $106

About the only less expensive way is the Lee Loader and it does work but is very very slow... I'd still recommend the manual and the Lee Loader is $22, so $38 and you can be in business. If you are only looking to do 50 rounds at a time and don't mind taking 2 1/2 hours to get it accomplished, then this will do.

-------------------

This wasn't long ago and the prices are up to date.

Hope that helps.
This is exactly what I have. 357, 30/30 and 45/70. Just messing around I can load about 100 in a little over an hour. Including dies I got about 125.00 in it