OT - Laying up foodstuffs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Laying up foodstuffs

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got a small supply of food that I've put into containers - just to have in case of emergency so to speak. One of the items is flour. Well, my wife thinks I'm a little loopy but today, she discover's that she's out of flour and the store's closed. So, I scored a small vicotory having some in the tubs.

Other items are canned goods - fruit, soups, entrees, meats, etc., rice, beans, noodles, sugar, flour, dry entree mixes - like hamburger helper, etc.

It didn't cost much and I figure that we use most of those things anyway and I've been rotating through the stock to keep it up to date.

Cheap insureance I figure.

Having guns and ammo is great, but you can't eat ammo.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT - Laying up foodstuffs

Post by Sixgun »

O.S.O.K.,
Guns & ammo without food makes about as much sense as a blind man with a car. If and when it does happen, the only people who will survive are the ones with guns AND food.

In addition to MRE's, I have enough food and water to keep the ones here at the Sixgun homestead fat for about two months. It will get a little iffy after that but with the expected help from the Obama administration, well, thats when the gun barrels will get heated up because I don't expect no help from those Commies. :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Oh, I agree - we will get no help from the marxists - none that we care to take anyway as the price of taking it will be forfiture of our rights. But that's another topic. ;)

I've avoided the MRE's (meals rarely exiting) as the ones that I've sampled are pretty bad. That, and they are not cheap! I figure that just getting dry and canned stuff available from the grocery store is better - but it does take a bit more attention as the shelf lifes are shorter and you do need to rotate...

I honestly don't know exactly how long our food stores would last us - it would depend on if the freezer were up and running the whole time, how many of my kids come back to the house (probably all of them) and how quick the garden starts producing.

I'm ordering some heirloom seeds for that - and getting the tiller up and working...

I'm going to put about $1000 into "survival preparations" - a driven point well, small wood stove maybe, small wind generator - I need to do more research on this....

I recently read a report that indicated that the number of people "stocking up and preparing for a crisis" has gone way up in the last year or so... I guess we're not the only ones seeing the coming storm.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

O.S.O.K.,
This country is living on borrowed time. There's either going to be an economic meltdown, some raghead dropping a nuke, or the most likely, a microbe that will kill a third to two thirds of us. There's just too many people to feed and what the previous World Wars have done, a man induced virus will do.

I have always lived by the adage, "Be Prepared" Its a lot easier to be prepared than it is to watch your loved ones suffer and die from hunger, predatory people or a government that says, "Turn your guns in and we will help you"---------------Sixgun

This is going to be a hot topic!
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Man, you're making me want to move back out into the country.... but I gess a small town of 12000 isn't too bad - we could organize and establish a controlled perimeter... :eek:

Actually, I've given this some thought - and being in a small town may be better in some scenarios than being in the country and solo... if people will cooperate...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I never knew much about the LDS faith until we lived in Utah for a couple of years. The aspect of the LDS folks that pertains to this thread is their preparedness. The LDS church teaches preparedness, and many of our neighbors converted their garages into food storage, complete with inventories and rotation schedules. Also the culture of preparedness was evident at the grocery store, where buying canned goods in case lots was the norm. I never saw a run on groceries in Utah because of an impending storm, unlike what happened in Wash DC before Christmas.

This is an excellent resource and insight into qhat we could face here ... http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

FERFAL has also published a book of his experiences in Argentina ... http://ferfal.blogspot.com/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The boss lady always thinks I'm goofy when I bring home a case of Spam or a 40 lb bag of rice.
OR buying dog food when we don't need it, etc.

Another nice thing about having a little stock pile is when cash gets a little tight there's always something to eat.

I have a question for you guys.
How long will canned food last if it's stored propperly?
Most of them seem to have have expieration dates on them of a couple years but won't
it usually last quite a bit longer?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes,
It will last longer, if you turn them end for end every 6 months.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

P.S.
The Hormel roast beef hash is good, and has spuds in it.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

mescalero1 wrote:P.S.
The Hormel roast beef hash is good, and has spuds in it.
+1 that is some good stuff.
Ricky

DWWC
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

2ndovc wrote:The boss lady always thinks I'm goofy when I bring home a case of Spam or a 40 lb bag of rice.
My hat is off to you, sir. I am in awe. Anybody that can eat spam is to be revered. I bought a can a year or two ago, not having had it in 15-20 years. Immediately I knew why I hadn't had it in 15-20 years. But I can sure chow down on some vienna sausage.
rjroberts
Levergunner

Post by rjroberts »

We always have extra supplies. In Florida, one needs to be prepared for hurricanes and resulting power outages. The Mrs. is even more diligent about it than I am. Any other emergency is just an extension.

However, I would add that another important ingredient is OPSEC, and you need a lot of that. First, those who scoff would be the first to expect you to "share" and, second though more dangerous is any attempt by the "authorities" (don't get me started) to reorganize the "chaotic situation" and "restore order" would likely include a "pooling of resources" and punitive measures against "hoarders." (Marxist rhetoric deliberate: it's all been done before)
Yes, I am a pirate,
200 years too late;
the cannons don't thunder,
there's nothing to plunder
for an over 40 victim of fate.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

My wife is actually the doomer of the household. I like it though. "lets get supplies just in case, what do you want to add to the list?" ... "guns and ammo ;) "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sardines, Dinty Moore, chicken soup, vegetable beef soup.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Freeze dried burgers, pork chops, etc. in cans.
Good shelf life, taste is palatable.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have grains and things made from grains (oats, rice, flour) and legumes (beans, peanuts,). I put bags of rice, etc. in those large vacuum bags that you use a vacuum cleaner to suck/pull a vacuum (because they are big enough to hold large items -- i.e., 25lb bag of rice) and put them in small, plastic, blue, drums -- 25-gallon size. They will keep that way way past mine and my wife's lifetimes.

I have guns and ammo and all manner of reloading equipment, powder, bullets, primers, cases, and other components. When I run low on food, I will use the guns, ammo, etc. to take your food, your fuel, your generator, and whatever else I need. Friendship, comraderie, neighborly cooperation, etc. goes only as far as you're prepared to put your and yours well being in jeopardy.

If you live in a small town/ city that's all well and good as long as you can convince the majority to side with you. Even a well organized minority will over power a larger majority.

I'll stay in the country. Our place -- our property.

EDIT: If our kids or other family members want to come to us in an emergency, they'd be welcome as long as they bring something to sustain themselves. Otherwise, they'll be turned away as other would be. The grandkids would be the only exception.
ED
Yer never too old
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Try to get some of Mel Tappans writings and books, he was the guru of the survivalist movement in the 70's and early eighties. Jimmy Carter created a lot of small businesses for people selling canned foods and such. All pretty much disappeared when Ronald Regan took office interesting times. Good Luck
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i don't buy into the end of the world,colapse of the economy senerio. it always has it's ups and downs. right now, it's in the down cycle, but it's starting to head up. i always keep the homestead and the camp well stocked with canned goods. i buy on sale, and always just a little more. more or less a hedge on inflation than anything else.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Standard canned goods have a pretty long shelf life if kept properly and in the event of a problem you won't be changing your normal diet all that much.

There are a number of seed companies selling open pollinated seeds without having to go to one of the "seed bank" outfits that charge double and triple the price. Even regular seed companies have non hybrid seeds for sale. no need t pay high prices for them if you shop.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Chas. wrote:
2ndovc wrote:The boss lady always thinks I'm goofy when I bring home a case of Spam or a 40 lb bag of rice.
My hat is off to you, sir. I am in awe. Anybody that can eat spam is to be revered. I bought a can a year or two ago, not having had it in 15-20 years. Immediately I knew why I hadn't had it in 15-20 years. But I can sure chow down on some vienna sausage.
:lol: :lol:

It's an aquired taste! :D

I grew up eating the stuff. My Mom used to fry it up for us to make sandwiches when we were traveling on the boat.
My Dad would take us for a three or four week sail around the Great Lakes each summer when we were kids.

I've got the kids hooked on it now! Sunday morning Spam and cheese omletts!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Fried Spam on white bread with Miracle Whip and sliced, sweet, white onions is hard to beat for a quick lunch or snack.

Back to LDS (Mormons) -- they not only have food/food stuffs available they also have guns and ammunition available too.

My wife worked for an Opthamolic Doctor/Surgeon in San Diego, CA who was a LDS. He volunteered one weekend day and one other week day each month to can salmon and put together food packages. There is an LDS full blown grocery store in Clairemont just outside San Diego off Highway 805 and several others throughout CA and other states. He had handguns and ammo stored both at his house and somewhere off site from his house.
ED
Yer never too old
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

O.S.O.K. - Good thread.

We've all thought about this somewhat (unless you're a clueless liberal, and then you're not on this forum anyway), and we make the preparations we can. We all have limits to our own situations too, but that doesn't mean we can't be prepared.

I'm in Florida too, so the whole preparation thing is not new to me. I'm also a divorced apartment dweller, so space and cash are considerations. If you stick to buying foods that you'd ordinarily eat anyway then you won't have to acclimate to new items at a time of stress. Canned soups, chilis, stews, canned fruits, etc.....all of them are usually good for about 2 years. Expiration dates are printed of the bottom of all of these items that I've bought, so you just stock with new and eat your older stuff first. Simple. Another plus of all the items I listed here is that you can eat them all straight from the can without cooking. Yeah, cold soup isn't as nice as hot, but the point is that these items are either already cooked, or - like the fruits - they don't need cooking.

I think that the idea of opsec is absolutely necessary. I, too, don't like the idea of "civil authorities" taking control of things if the ka-ka hits the fan, but I believe that neighbors can willingly pool resources and watch each other's backs better than we can do it alone. Of course, this counts on all parties being on board, philiosphically, before things get dicey.

One thing's for sure, we'll all make better decisions - from a position of strength - with full bellies, than if we were starving.

Having the ability to communicate with your group members is important, as well as a means of receiving news from outside, especially if things get truly bad.

Good thread here OSOK - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Modoc ED wrote:
When I run low on food, I will use the guns, ammo, etc. to take your food, your fuel, your generator, and whatever else I need. Friendship, comraderie, neighborly cooperation, etc. goes only as far as you're prepared to put your and yours well being in jeopardy.

Wow.

Cat
Last edited by Catshooter on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Catshooter,
Don't pay any attention to Modoc,
you should see the pics of chicks he posts,
he steps to the beat of a different drum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Modoc ED wrote:I have grains and things made from grains (oats, rice, flour) and legumes (beans, peanuts,). I put bags of rice, etc. in those large vacuum bags that you use a vacuum cleaner to suck/pull a vacuum (because they are big enough to hold large items -- i.e., 25lb bag of rice) and put them in small, plastic, blue, drums -- 25-gallon size. They will keep that way way past mine and my wife's lifetimes.

I have guns and ammo and all manner of reloading equipment, powder, bullets, primers, cases, and other components. When I run low on food, I will use the guns, ammo, etc. to take your food, your fuel, your generator, and whatever else I need. Friendship, comraderie, neighborly cooperation, etc. goes only as far as you're prepared to put your and yours well being in jeopardy.

If you live in a small town/ city that's all well and good as long as you can convince the majority to side with you. Even a well organized minority will over power a larger majority.

EDIT: If our kids or other family members want to come to us in an emergency, they'd be welcome as long as they bring something to sustain themselves. Otherwise, they'll be turned away as other would be. The grandkids would be the only exception.

Geez Ed, a real credit to humanity. Hope you are not my neighbor. While I sympathise to an extent, you are going to need to network with others. With that attitude it will only cause others to align together against you. No man is an island, and a fortress cannot endure a siege forever. I can understand not being able to care for every stray that comes along, and wont do it myself, but claiming you will go and take what others have puts you squarely on the wrong side of any morality, ethics, or law. If you think you will run out of food, then store more, collect things you can trade, or be ready to trade a service. Otherwise you will become an unwqnted predator and the others will dispose of you accordingly.

To those of you storing food I commend you, and want to remind you to have variety, there is a disorder a person gets from eating the same diet repeatedly that causes you to stop eating.

Also, Spam is not food, and Miracle Whip should be outlawed. :mrgreen:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Never been hungry enough to do Spam (yet ).
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Some of my post was a bit "tongue in cheek" but it's probably got some of you thinking.

I'm not one of the dooms-day proponents but it never hurts to be prepared and when you live in a remote, rural, area, as I do, you need a stock of food, fuel, etc..

As to the Spam and Miracle Whip. Nothing tastier on white bread with sliced, white, sweet, onions. Next time ya go hunting take a can of Spam along with a couple/three squeeze packs of hot sauce with ya,heat the Spam up in the can over a small fire at break time and put the hot sauce over it. Tasty!!!

They've even started vacuum packing Spam in individual, one slice, sandwich size, slices which is real handy as you only need to open enough packages for say a sandwich or small snack.
ED
Yer never too old
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Spam is not food! Why eat Spam when you can eat Food!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

spam sliced into little cubes and fried HARD mixed with packaged mac and cheese....ummmm! Now take that to the bank I'm fat so I know food :mrgreen: Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

O.S.O.K. wrote: . . . I've avoided the MRE's (meals rarely exiting) . . .

Meals Rejected by Ethopians

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you really want to get your mind going there is a book out now called "One Second After." It covers a one year period of time after EMP blasts drive the U.S. back to the early 1900's technology.

Another thing for people in Florida to consider is that down here everything that's not sealed will get bugs in it. I had a 20# bag of rice get crawlies in it once.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Have you ever had Mormon dried potatoes? Little cylinders. Just add HOT water and stir. Man, that's good!

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942