OT - 30-35 caliber muzzle loaders?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

OT - 30-35 caliber muzzle loaders?

Post by Jeeps »

I was just wondering if anyone knew the smallest bore size for a production
muzzle loader?

It just seems with all the improvements with them lately that someone hasn't
created a medium bore that will reach out 350 yards. The technology should
be there to make a sabot that would make the loading manageable.

Would a person be able to take a .338 barrel and have a smith cut the chamber
off and attach a proper breech/nipple? Then either patch or make a sabot for
a .323, .311, or .308 bullet?

I know allot of people are against all the changes made to frontstuffers lately,
I'm on the fence about it myself, the season was intended for the limitations
of the firearms and the challenges that come with it. But seeing all the ones in
production now makes me wonder how far can a person go with them?
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Or even better yet, only cut about half the chamber off and thread whats left
for the breach and nipple and "in-line" it.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I was just wondering if anyone knew the smallest bore size for a production muzzle loader?]

AFAIK, It's .32 - I had a T/C Custom Shop Cherokee in that caliber, that took patched .310 round balls.

It was a bear to load the patched ball, and I was too lazy to take the time and find the right combination of ball diameter/patch thickness.

Components and short starters are so hard to come by that it's easier to make your own. Commercial accessories are advertized as ".32 - .36" caliber, but they're generally too big & better suited for the .36's.

Also, the 1863 Remingon Pocket Revolver & it's modern clones are .31:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination so here's my 2 cents FWIW.

The smallest bore diameter that I've heard of for a muzzle loading rifle is 36 cal.

I don't see why you couldn't do that to a 338 barrel but I strongly suspect that powder fouling will become detrimental to accuracy very quickly.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

There are are plenty of 32 and 36 cal muzle loaders, by Pedersoli and Traditions. There are also 22 and 25 cal in production, but on a semi-custom scale. These being traditional designs of course. The 32 and 36 cal are suited to firing lightweight conicals, which would easily outshoot any 357magnum.

How about a 32 cal, firing a 125 gr conical at 2,200 fps?

Fast twist, drop in target barrels for TC Arms Hawkin/Renegade are available which would shoot heavier bullets. As simple as the 'inline' ML designs are, I'm sure it would not be difficult to modify an aftermarket barrel to fit.

One could easily pick up a junker TC Renegade for under 150$, and ad a after market barrel of ones choosing for under 200$. That's how I got 'Wompum', a TC Arms Renegade set up for 500 gr conicals. This gun is very accurate out to 200yrds, with very little drop.

I've been shooting a 32cal ML lately, the ballistics are impressive. If it were legal, I would definately deer hunt with it.

10 gr Pyrodex, .315 round ball = 22 magnum ballistics.
20 gr Pyrodex, .315 round ball = +P 38 Special
30 gr Pyrodex, .315 round ball = +P 357 Magnum ballistics
40 gr Pyrodex, .315 round ball = Heck of a lot more power than the 357, but loss of accuracy in my rifle.

The traditional design ML's are easier to find in odd calibers, down to 22, and up to 8 bore.

Check Cabelas, The Sportsmans Guide, Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, Pecatonica River Arms, Cherries Pedersoli, and October Country, for current production models.

The new ML rage seems to be 40 and 45 cal ML's shotting heavy bullets designed for the 45/70 and heavy 40 cal buffalo guns.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've always been interested in a 32 "squirrel rifle" to use for that very purpose. Seems they are always quite a bit more money than the same rifle in a 50 cal. Less demand I suppose.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

This is the second time this week that I've had an attack of the acid reflux...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Why not just use one of those modern custom muzzle loaders? You can get right around 3000fps with them. In the breach you insert a 30-06 sized reusable primer holder. Then pour an appropriate charge of IMR4064 down the barrel, followed by a 150gr bullet.

The inline design is hundreds of years old.
It's the same thing. :roll:
Slow is just slow.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAD A FRIEND MANY YEARS AGO, BOB WALTERS, WHO HAD AND HUNTED WITH A 25 CALIBER MUZZLE LOADER. IT WAS DEADLY ON SMALL GAME AND BURNED CURTIS&HARVEY POWDER CLEAN AS A WHISTLE.
I HAVE OWNED AND HUNTED WITH 32 AND 35 CALIBER MUZZLELOADING RIFLES OVER THE YEARS.
ANOTHER PAL OF MINE IN GRANOLAFORNIA HEARD MY STORY ABOUT BOB'S 25 AND BUILT A NEW 25 CALIBER ML RIFLE FOR HIMSELF THIS PAST YEAR.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

There are/were ML's made exclusivly to shoot .38 cal wadcutters for target shooting.
I've know several guys who took an old .22 RF barrel and converted it into a ML. To do so with any centerfire barrel is very realistic but the type of projectile would probably be limited to something similar to what it was originally intended to fire. This would mean one of a length and possibly weight, like in the case of a .30 cal, comparable to 150 to 200 grain bullets.
Also, don't some BP cartridge target shooters place the cartridge and powder in the chamber and then load the bullet through the muzzle ... I seem to remember this from somewhere but am not sure ??????
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I like the idea, especially the .32 or .38 wadcutter part... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A problem with any ML rifle under .40 caliber is the loading rod.
My .40 cal Kentucky has a 3/8" (.375) Hickory ramrod. Any smaller bore will use steel or fiberglass rod or you will have a problem finding a quality wooden rod. Also .40 cal is the smallest ML legal for deer in WA state.

I know of several .375 cal ML bullet guns shooting 200 or so gr.paper patched and lube groove cast bullets. They are very good shooters out to 200 yd or so for target work. Again, not legal for deer in WA. :wink:
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Once again, proof that this might be the most intelligent place in the universe.

Thank you for the answers, and I didn't think to check on bore diameter regulations
for New York state, so I'm off to do some more research.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

joakleigh
Levergunner

Post by joakleigh »

Hobie wrote:This is the second time this week that I've had an attack of the acid reflux...
:lol: agreed
Joshua

My 2 cents nothing more nothing less
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

NY use to be .44 cal, don't know if they changed it like they did so many other things. The state ruined ML hunting for me when they changed the laws. :(
Slow is just slow.