OT-Remington 514..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Remington 514..

Post by morgan in nm »

Went into the local gun store today and seen a Remington 514 in great shape for $150. I kinda liked how simple it is so I bought it. The wood has about 40% original finish and the metal is about 50% conservatively with a slight plumb coloring on the places where it is exposed. The bore appears to be perfect. When I brought it home, I noticed the barrel has "Patent Pending" so I looked up the barrel code and it appears to be made in April of 1948. I will get pictures as soon as I can but I was wondering, the rifle appears to be somewhat too simple and cheaply made for the era. I am going to shoot the stuffings out of it. What parts are known to break on these things? Is $150 a fair price for something like this? I guess it doesn't matter as its mine now but I am curious how far the dealer seen me coming.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Remington 514..

Post by jdad »

$100 is about normal, for a 50% rifle, BUT 1948 was the first year of production. All the 5"teen" series were very accurate rifles. Extractors get worn and firing pins break, but that's about it. These guys have plenty of original parts. www.dickwilliamsgunshop.com
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Keep the bolt well lubed,
you see a lot of these with brazed bolts( handles)
mine will blow your socks off, ( accurate )
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've got the 511 (clip fed) and it's money with Win Power Points.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You got a great rifle, My pastor got one for Christmas. His son-inlaw was at a sale and bought two of them. Enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I saw one at a recent gunshow with a walnut stock. Mine and all the others I've seen were beech or birch stained to look like walnut. A 514 boys rifle was my first gun. I bought it for $10.00 when I was six. I currently own the adult version that was my fathers. It's not for sale.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

I have a walnut stocked 511(clip fed) rifle from 1956. It is very accurate even though the trigger pull is not that great. Does anyone have one that feeds .22 shorts well? Mine refuses to feed them at all.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a chance to shoot or take pics yet so I will try to do that today.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I have a Rem. 511 also. Dad bought it new in '46. This one will feed shorts as well as L & LR.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mine will feed shorts.