35 Remington 150gr PSP at Dicks - ammo sticker shock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

35 Remington 150gr PSP at Dicks - ammo sticker shock

Post by win7094M1 »

I was browsing at Dicks today and noticed they had 150 grain PSP 35 Remington ammo in stock for the low, low price of $27.99 per box! Holy C&@p! I took a round out of the box to examine it and it was, in fact, a pointed bullet like my 30-06 rounds. Is this stuff actually safe to use in a tube magazine? I looked on the box for specific warnings about this, but there were none that I could find. Perhaps our numerous .35 shooters will chime in?
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 35 Remington 150gr PSP at Dicks - ammo sticker shock

Post by pokey »

don't know about those 35s, but saw a [ as 1 ] box of 348 win at the gunshow

yesterday for 67$ whooeeee. :o
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You need to stick with the smaller cartridges like the .22 Hornet!

Unless you want a fancy bullet, you can have a box of those mighty factory loads for a mere $49.95 per box of 50...! :shock:

Hopefully this will cause more people to learn about reloading 8) , until THAT becomes a 'banned' activity... :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sure glad I got a 357mag levergun I reload for. vs the 35 Remington. My 357mag loads with 158grn Zero bullets cost me a whopping $2.26 per box of 20rds. :mrgreen:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:Sure glad I got a 357mag levergun I reload for. vs the 35 Remington. My 357mag loads with 158grn Zero bullets cost me a whopping $2.26 per box of 20rds. :mrgreen:
Actually most of the difference is the RELOADING part; you could spend twice as much on powder and use the same or similar bullet in the .35 Remington. Even a fancy jacketed bullet like the 200gr SP wouldn't put the cost up too high, compared to store-bought.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I've not seen, nor would I use that ammo in a tube magazine.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

Tycer wrote:I've not seen, nor would I use that ammo in a tube magazine.
Ditto to that. No way would I load them into a tubular mag.

Also, I've got a humorous story about pointed bullets and detonating the round in front of them. I was the Signal Officer for 1st Squadron of 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment when they were stationed in the old FRG many years ago. We had an award for "safety awareness" that was named after a past (5+ years in the past) Support Platoon leader who had two live .50 BMG rounds one day, one in each hand, and he was banging them together, bullet-to-primer (example--bullet end on round in right hand, to primer end in left hand), until one (the primer end) went off, injuring him slightly--and really bruising his ego. He was immortlized after that one, when both the ruptured .50 BMG cartridge casing and the bullet from that round were put on a plaque, and given to the officer who, since the last Hail & Farewell, had done the most unsafe act. I never got that one, though I was nominated for it once . . .

As to the high prices for .348 Winchester, I was in a local gun shop Friday afternoon which had two of the boxes on the shelf. Asking price--$50+ per box. The guy buying them got the two boxes for right around $80 before the taxes, after a bit of negotiating.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Last year I bought my marlin 336 in 35 remmy from a friend and it had 2 boxes of ammo with it. 1 was 200 grain round nose the other pointy bullets, I asked him if he had fired any of these before and he said sure that's the second box....AAAARRRRGGGHH! Anyway as far as the cost of 35 rem ammo I cast my own bullets from WW and with the powder and primers I spend 0.16$ each loaded round but I do get the WW very cheap. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

You don't want the 150 gr anyway - the 200 gr are more accurate!
(At least in my Marlin! :lol: )

-Stretch
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

Stretch, if I owned one, I would primarily use the 200s as well. I don't own a .35 yet, but I hope to find a Marlin .35 when I have cash in hand. A 336SC was available at a local gun show about 4 years ago with a vintage Weaver 2.5 mounted for $250. I still kick myself occasionally for not jumping on that!
Was the price I saw at Dick's prevalent in today's market? If so, reloading is a must. $1 plus a round makes my brain bleed and my stomach hurt just comprehending paying that...
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

This will make you guys cry.

I have several old boxes of Remington and Winchester factory ammo for the .348 WCF (200 grain Core-Lokt and Silvertip). The price marked on the boxes is $5.40.

No, they are not for sale.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Man, I just looked the price up on Sportsman's Guide - I guess $25 a box is the
going rate for 'em! I got some a few years back for about $5 or $6 a box - the local
Kmart was clearing stock. I took all they had.......... :D It's gettin' where ya have
to reload for pretty much anything these days if ya want to put food on the table, too.

I still have a few of the 150 gr PSP left. They are a little bit pointy, but the lead
nose is quite soft and deforms easily (Core-Lokt projectile). I have had no trouble
shooting them in my Marlin, either feeding or grenading the magazine!

I'd buy a(nother!) 336 in 35 Remington for $250, too! That's a good deal.....
-Stretch
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

You can shoot the 150's in the 336 as a "two shot". Load one in the chamber and one in the mag. No problems. Fire one and load one etc.

As for the price, all the MFG's seem to want to sell their ammo for $1.00 a round (MIN). Even pistol ammo. As long as they can't make it fast enough to stock shelves with, they'll be able to get away with it..
JP_TX
444 Marlin