OT-Your opinions on these 1911 grips

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Your opinions on these 1911 grips

Post by Otto »

I have a Springfield GI, and I don't care for the stock wood grips. They make the whole gun appear brown to me, as opposed to the actual grey of parkerizing. So, I started out looking for either some black or grey "plastic" crossed-cannons, or black/grey laminate crossed-cannons. I couldn't find such, but I ran across these at raascogrips.com:

Here is a photoshop image someone made for me, of the smooth grips "installed":

I really like the way the grips themselves look, but I'm not so sure about how they look on the gun. Plus, I think the color might be a little... you know... frootay.

Opinions?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Your opinions on these 1911 grips

Post by stew71 »

Looks good. If you like 'em, go for it. Besides, purple is the color of royalty and the 1911 is the King.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

LET ME PLAY DEVILS ADVOCATE HERE, OTTO. WHY WOULD YOU EVER CARE WHAT WE THINK ABOUT THE STOCKS YOU PUT ON YOUR PISTOL ???
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I bought a set of ivorywood grips from Esmeralda...perfect grips...that lady sure has talent, and sells a quality product.

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

About the same time, I bought two sets of walnut high end grips from this ebay seller http://stores.ebay.com/The-Crafters-Craftsman?_rdc=1...and they were terribly poor quality. The finish was high glossy, the wood was not filled which left small holes all throughout the finish, and there were runs in the finish. I stripped them, and refinished them myself...about all I can say good was that they fit, and were originally made from a nice piece of wood.

Ed
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I kinda like the stock wood on my Springfield.

Not so sure about the blue/purple.

Makes me think about that line from the movie "The 13th Warrior". The Arab had trimmed down a great sword to lighten it up for his arm and one of the Viking warriors travelling with him said:

"When you die, can I give that to my daughter?"

:wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Terry Murbach wrote:LET ME PLAY DEVILS ADVOCATE HERE, OTTO. WHY WOULD YOU EVER CARE WHAT WE THINK ABOUT THE STOCKS YOU PUT ON YOUR PISTOL ???
I get your point, but sometimes, asking someone's opinion is alot like tossing a coin; when it comes up tails, one immediately thinks "best two out of three."

Meaning that, when you aren't sure what you think, you really ARE sure. When the coin agrees with you, all is well. When it doesn't, you need a second and third opinion. How you react to others' opinions tells you what your subconscious already knew.

Plus, why do people post pictures of their rifles (or kids, or whatever) here? Partly to brag, partly to share, and maybe, partly, for the approval of one's peers.
Stew71 wrote:Looks good. If you like 'em, go for it. Besides, purple is the color of royalty and the 1911 is the King.
I like that.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guy its your gun, If they feel good in the hand and you like the looks(do the deal)
After about 4 different grips over the years I prefer the
http://www.shootersplus.com/inc/sdetail/1701
But that should be only your call. They are different and I like them ok!( I do prefer the checkering though)
Good Luck with whatever you choose!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They are better than Hershey Bar Brown, but not what I'd pick. Those you are showing would look super cool on a stainless. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

How bout a set made from the Horn of a Water buff ?????????? $75-------Good Price!
They are smooth,but they sure would be cool and different!
http://www.tommy2feathers.com/images/100_2038.jpg
http://www.tommy2feathers.com/GripsForSale.html

Can just see it now :idea:
Someone says: Wow they are very cool looking grips on that 1911
response: Ya, they didn't come easy,a Very Big Bad Water Buff didn't want to give up his horns to get em!
Someone says: Really :o :shock: what's the story???
response: Rather not go there,just very upsetting even talking about it, it was that close! :lol: :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Do these grips make my butt look big?
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Kimber makes some nice lamnated black grip scales IIRC. For that matter, what about Hogue or Esmerelda?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like them.
NRA Life Member
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

madman4570 wrote:How bout a set made from the Horn of a Water buff ?????????? $75-------Good Price!
They are smooth,but they sure would be cool and different!
http://www.tommy2feathers.com/images/100_2038.jpg
http://www.tommy2feathers.com/GripsForSale.html

Can just see it now :idea:
Someone says: Wow they are very cool looking grips on that 1911
response: Ya, they didn't come easy,a Very Big Bad Water Buff didn't want to give up his horns to get em!
Someone says: Really :o :shock: what's the story???
response: Rather not go there,just very upsetting even talking about it, it was that close! :lol: :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:
He has some made from camel bone. I could say I took them off a dead insurgent.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :mrgreen: :wink: :D I like your style!
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

My reply to this is grips are a very personal thing. If you like them, go for it. If you carry it concealed IWB, go for the half checkerd grips. They will feel better rubbing your side than full checkered.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

cnjarvis wrote:Kimber makes some nice lamnated black grip scales IIRC. For that matter, what about Hogue or Esmerelda?
Hmmm...
http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/produ ... 34&xSec=18
...looks like I may end up with wood grips after all.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:LET ME PLAY DEVILS ADVOCATE HERE, OTTO. WHY WOULD YOU EVER CARE WHAT WE THINK ABOUT THE STOCKS YOU PUT ON YOUR PISTOL ???
I'm color blind and I think it is a good question!

I like Esmerelda's stuff on line. The one pair I've seen in the "flesh" looked good, too. Since all my Colts currently have wood I'm happy. Some of the other guns have some stocks that look like pallet wood (poplar) stained with bacca juice! I'd have to change those out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Otto, those grips in that Kimber link are BOSS ! I was going to suggest some traditional double diamond grips in walnut in a much lighter finish than the stock GI grips too.

Those laminate grips look more at home on a stainless or nickel pistol . Purely for function, i like the stock Nighthawk grips as well (dont know who makes them ) --- but being a SA GI owner myself, i have kept it looking traditional.

Or you could get some sweet faux ivory grips with the "Punisher" logo impressed on them :lol: :o

But when its all said and done, its your gun and your wallet, have fun with them both. If you get a set of grips on there that dont look right, stash 'em or sell 'em. 1911's are as addictive as leverguns, the chances of you getting several more in a lifetime are high
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bogus bill wrote:Do these grips make my butt look big?
:lol:
Otto wrote:I get your point, but sometimes, asking someone's opinion is alot like tossing a coin; when it comes up tails, one immediately thinks "best two out of three."
Heck - I ask what others think, then do the opposite...! :roll:

A checkered but otherwise plain BLACK composite grip looks good on a parkerized gun, I think.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

That is the first time that I've seen a pair of 1911 grips uglier than neoprene. :lol:
I suppose that it don't matter what a 1911 looks like if it works good.

Jack
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My three 1911s all wear stocks of smooth Texas mesquite. I am 100% satisfied and would have no others. Does that tell you what I think of the stocks in question?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool looking grips! 8) Esmeralda (Exotic Grips By Emeralda) makes a whole bunch of great looking grips for the 1911 (and other handguns). I don't think she does laminates though.
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jhrosier wrote:That is the first time that I've seen a pair of 1911 grips uglier than neoprene. :lol:
I suppose that it don't matter what a 1911 looks like if it works good.

Jack
+1
It is not the critic who counts
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

try this place, too.

http://www.handicraft-vn.com/shop/

unusual story, not allowed to own a firearm this fella
used drawings to make these grips. he then sent some
to folks over here to try them out. took the advise offered
and perfected fit. sounds like a good deal if you want
natural components.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

Sierra Hotel!

But not for me. :lol:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

That is the beauty of custom grips. The beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. If you like it and its functional thats all that matters. But since you asked, YES I LIKE THEM! IMO I would opt for the gray and black version, dont care for purple, I like earth tones.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I no sooner advise someone about their custom grip druthers, than I would about their "significant other" - but I AM partial to the newer carbon fiber and/or Alumagrips.

dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

bogus bill, are you referring to those new grips made of spandex? :shock: :D
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I run wood, heavely checkered, grips, from Wilson Combat on all of my 1911's. I buy them from there, because they offer a pretty good looking, dark wood grip, that is also a pretty hard wood, that will not split or break, easily.

Back when I competed a lot, with the 1911, after trying about everything I could afford, I ended up perferring a more or less standard wood slab with sharp checkering, because if my hands were the least bit sweaty, anything else, just didn't feel right. I want that checkering to did into my hand, and help me maintain a good grip on the gun. Of course I also like frontstrap checkering and a sharply checkered arched mainspring housing to round everything out.

For CCW, I might prefer a smoother grip, but many smooth grips are plum slick, sometimes when you don't want them to be, they do look pretty, however.

I don't like laminated grips, but I recond it's is a presonal taste thing.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Okay. I've decided that, though I really do like those grips, they wouldn't look right on a plain-jane 1911. As some have suggested, they are better-suited to a stainless gun, or maybe one with a nice polished bluing.

I have been to Esmeralda's website numerous times in the past. Her grips are also too nice for this project, but I probably will go to her at some point for some Beretta grips. I'm glad she's on the web, 'cuz if I went to her storfront, she could prolly sell me grips made from horse biscuits.

Alot of the links provided have some really nice grips, but bone/horn/antler/ivory stuff has never been my thing. And, again, too fancy for this project.

I am going back to my original plan, as some of you suggested, and getting a pair of plain ol' back double-diamonds. This suits the simple functionality of the design, and is more in line with my tastes. These grips will be the first "customizing" I have ever done to any gun. All of my guns are box-stock, no-frills firearms, blued steel and wood, or parkerized and anodized with plastic furniture. The "fanciest" guns I own are a brace of stainless big Vaqueros, which I never do anything with, because I don't really like them.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Opinion was asked, so...

They look OK.

But why not invest a little more and put on a really mean, cool looking grip while benefiting from true functionality - what could be more hip than that?

I have tried grips similar to all three grips shown at the beginning of this thread. After using several grips on my .45 ACP Colt Mark IV Series 70 over the years - originals, the laminated wood type, and Pachmayrs, I took the plunge and installed Crimson Trace grips. I would never want to exchange them for anything else.

They fit the hand, grab the skin when firing for quick repeat shots, and (after an acquaintance period) have increased my speed of accurately aimed shots on targets at defensive distances with the aid of that little red dot.

(This is a file copy photo; my pistol is the more traditional model)

Definitely mo' bettah.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Personally, those grips aren't my cup of tea. I prefer more traditional diamond checkered for wood and stag or ivory.
Old Law Dawg
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

kimwcook wrote:Personally, those grips aren't my cup of tea. I prefer more traditional diamond checkered for wood and stag or ivory.
I like the look of stag grips, and I used them some, but I have had problems finding stag slabs that are thin enough, it seems most end up being a little too fat for my hand when on a 1911. I also used to own a Ruger Super Blackhawk with stags, and those worked pretty good on that gun.

I love real Ivory grips, but they are out of my price range, however the fake Ivorys have always been too slick, for me, and I never could get a good grip. I think real Ivory is the most beautiful of all grips for the colt peacemaker, but I have always had to settle for one piece Walnut, as my second choice.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pete44ru wrote:I no sooner advise someone about their custom grip druthers, than I would about their "significant other" - but I AM partial to the newer carbon fiber and/or Alumagrips.

Wise words!

I like those grips - looks like the Boy Scout fleur-de-lias (I know I mispelled that horribly)! :D Where did you get them?