OT - Dogs lives (and deaths) affect us all

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - Dogs lives (and deaths) affect us all

Post by AJMD429 »

You may NOT want to read this if you've lost a pet recently, but we just had to euthanize our dog - ourselves - yesterday.
  • We learn alot from dogs, if we're willing to pay attention...

Humility, humor, compassion, and loyalty, to name just a few.

I'll miss our oldest dog's (visibly painful) slow lumbering out to 'inspect' and greet me when I arrive at the gate after work. She seemed to be the dumbest box of rocks out there (all dalmatians are, I'm told), but was always there to fend off a coyote pack by barking fiercely, help guard a newborn goat, or just give and receive affection without any strings attached. She'd 'lead' me up the driveway, barely staying ahead of my bumper, no matter how slowly I drove, and either too dumb to step aside and let me lead, or asserting that her advanced age somehow required I adjust my human pace to her canine time-frame and priorities.

This winter, she was so frail she couldn't move without a whimper, and was unable to be outside unless it was very warm, and finally it came to the point where we had to euthanize her yesterday. We were going to try to do it the 'medical' way, but the drugs needed weren't at hand, and we had to use a 22WMR via a Single Six. I figured that would be best in terms of quickness and yet not disrespect our faithful companion by destroying her physical self too much.

I was surprised my wife wanted to be there (I'd assumed she'd stay inside and play loud music while I went out alone in the dark to fill the gravesite my son had discretely dug earlier in the day), but she felt she owed it to the dog to be there during her passing, even if it might be more unpleasant to witness vs. paying a vet bill or doing an injection ourselves. She'd been there for many dying animals over the years, with having livestock and many pets, but I was worried the spinal reflex activity would be disturbing for her to watch, even knowing it was happening after the brain was no longer functioning. Still, she reasoned, the dog was 'there' for many of our life events, livestock births and deaths, and she owed it to the dog to be there at the end.

Thankfully, after eating as much as she was able of a doe heart, and some goodbyes, we were able to make her transition quick and peaceful; no 'spinal' activity at all.

Tears and prayers and special blankets from the kids followed her into her gravesite.

Even in her death, she continued to teach us - about ourselves.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Dogs lives (and deaths) affect us all

Post by FWiedner »

Always sorry to hear about the loss of a faithful friend, Doc.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Takes a good man to help a beloved dog make his final journey.
Certified gun nut
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

This has been a rough day for many of us. you have my deepest sympathy for the loss of you faithful old friend.

Perhaps this little poem will bring you and your family some comfort as it often has brought it to me.

Doc

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Doc...I can empathize...it has always been much easier for me to put down live stock or pets by myself.

Playing the euthenizing game has always been a heart wrencher. I hate it!

Bless your soul...We know how hard it is to lose a good friend...

Doc Hudson...I saved your post, it is a comfort indeed pard. :cry:

LB
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very sorry for your families great loss!
Dogs are very special and I am sure she knew you guys loved her!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Heartfelt thoughts for your dear friend and family. Gone through it too many times, myself. It's not an original thought, but it's never seemed quite fair that these beasts that are so lacking of any bad intent and being so pure of heart--sad to say, unlike a lot of our two legged kind--should have a life so short relative to most of ours. We all know that, biologically speaking, it's all relative to their kind, but still surely hurts to see 'em go.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

gak wrote:Heartfelt thoughts for your dear friend and family. Gone through it too many times, myself. It's not an original thought, but it's never seemed quite fair that these beasts that are so lacking of any bad intent and being so pure of heart--sad to say, unlike a lot of our two legged kind--should have a life so short relative to most of ours. We all know that, biologically speaking, it's all relative to their kind, but still surely hurts to see 'em go.

GAK,

i think I know the answer to why dogs have shorter lives. As is so often the case the wisdom came from the heart of a child.

(I don't remember where I first read the story, but I've posted it here before.)

A couple had a small boy about five years old, and an old dog that had practically raised the father and had been the child's constant companion his entire life.

As always happens, the dog's health declined and his aches and pains grew more and more debilitating. At last after much urging by their vet they decided the only humane thing to do was to "put him to sleep."

After much discussion it was decided that the entire family would be with the faithful old dog right up to the end. They figured it would be better for the boy to be with the dog than for him to disappear and be told the dog had gone to Heaven.

On the appointed day, with his family around all around and knowing he was loved the old dog drifted off to peace.

Mom, Dad and even the vet were in tears. Afterward they were discusssing death and wondering why dog's lives were so short. The vet could not answer. After a moment or two, the little boy piped up and said, "I know why."

puzzled and wondering what he would say, his father asked him to explain.

The little boy replied,"Daddy didn't you tell me that we were put on earth to learn to be good, and to love, and be helpful?

"Yes, i did," replied the father.

"Well," said the little boy, "it don't take dogs as long to learn as it does people. So they don't have to stay as long."

I can't think of a better reason, can you?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

When I posted the loss of my Bird dog almost a year ago, someone stated putting your best friend down was one of the most Difficult things a man has to do in life. That is so true. I am still not over it, and feel your pain. I have heard the statement that they are just an animal. That couldn't be further from the truth. They are much more than that!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My condolences on the loss of your faithful friend but you did right by her at the end.
You are a caring family, I'm sure your dog was lucky to choose you.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

AJMD:

My sympathies at your loss; pets truly become one of the family.

On 27 October 2009 the vet tech and I helped our 12+ yr old "Blackie," an all-white husky-golden mix, make her way on; she had a liver tumor and several necrotic splenic tumors. I still miss her deeply, but it was better for the dog.

Just this past Saturday we adopted an adorable female collie-golden mix, kinda looks like a 6-mo old German Shepard without the black muzzle, and with retriever ears. We got her from a shelter, and you'd think she was with us since birth. Another smart, wonderful dog that God has blessed us with, and we are thankful for it.

I've long said that dogs allowed themselved to become domesticated by humans because they found humans so easy to train.

Prayers for you and the family for strength in coping.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I am sorry for the loss to your family.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The little boy replied,"Daddy didn't you tell me that we were put on earth to learn to be good, and to love, and be helpful?

"Yes, i did," replied the father.

"Well," said the little boy, "it don't take dogs as long to learn as it does people. So they don't have to stay as long."

I can't think of a better reason, can you?
That's pretty cool.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Although some of my post on other threads might lead you to believe that I am quite heartless towards dogs, it's the exact opposite. After reading the above posts it took me more than several minutes to compose myself to reply to this and I'm still having problems.

OP, my heart goes out to you. I've been in your shoes and understand the pain you're feeling. I've always believed that the last thing a dog wants in life is the touch of his master's hand, not some strangers. I've also believe that it's the debt we owe them for their unquestioning loyalty to us during their life. It's pay back for all those terrible days we have that nothing goes right and they just come and sit or lay by us saying "I'm here, I'm staying, and I love you no matter what." You and your family are wonderful people to take care of your dog yourselves and saying that same thing back to her.

My daughter has three dogs, two of which I raised from pups in my home during the first very bitter winter of their lives. She recently moved two doors down from me and every time I walk out of the house they're at the fence just hoping I'll come play or take them with me. When they were small both would curl up in my lap and sleep with me in my recliner. Now that they're bigger they still want to try so we spend a lot of time in the floor when the come to visit. Once when I was having to dig up a plumbing junction that was about three feet down in hard packed ground the male of the pair laid in the hot sun by the hole and would lick the sweat off my face every time I raised up. He had no idea what I was doing, but he was staying. I dread the day when it's time for them to go.

I can only hope that the "Rainbow Bridge" story has some truth in it. If so I've got at least a couple of friends waiting and will probably have a couple more when my time comes. I can look forward to that.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Sorry for Your loss. I had to do the same thing about a Year ago. Jim.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Doc I am sorry for your loss. I hope the memories soon replace the emptiness. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Doc,
So sorry about your loss of a beloved pet. They are truly apart of your family as much as anyone. I am sittin here with tears running down my cheeks at the thought. We have been there with some of our pets. It is a tough thing to do. It is amazing what our dogs can teach us if we would just pay attention. Hang in there !!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD,

You and your wife and children have my sincerest condolences. I've been there and done that. Both myself and at the vets. We've lost three of our furry family since June of this year. Each and every one of them hurts to loose.

Take care of yourself and yours and remember the good times with her.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

AJ,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, it is the bargin we make with them when we get a pup -- we will love them and they will love us back, unconditionally , for the 10-12 years we have with them. Saying goodbye to them is so difficult, but know their memory will be with us forever. I know I still get choked up when I think of the last two I've had to put down. And know that all they ever wanted in life is our affection, caring and attention -- no more than that. It sure sounds like your gave her all she ever wanted, and then some.

I know you've seen the Rainbow Bridge. And I firmly belive that God would not put creatures of such love in our lives if we couldn't be with our beloved companions again when all is said and done. Similar to what the little boy said, maybe their lives are so short because they give so much when they are alive.

You, your family and your friend will be in my prayers.

Bruce
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I was in your shoes this summer and I know what you are feeling. I was alone with my dog when I put her down and I cried like a baby. Hardest thing I have ever had to do. Heal well my friend.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pet death always affects me harder than human death....don't know why. Hope that don't make me a bad person.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I am in the same boat. We had to put our beloved Cocker, Sophie, to sleep on 28 June. She was our constant companion for 14 1/2 yrs and now rests in the back yard, under her own azalea. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't think I could do that.

You're a tougher man than I am Doc.

I'm very sorry the day had to come.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

This was a “tough read”… I had to do it once never really got over it. If I go through it again, it’ll be a vet-administered injection – but I’ll still be bringing him home for his final resting place.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I'm very sorry for your loss. I still miss "Janie" today, and I put her down over 12 years ago. Although it hurts deeply, having and enjoying such a faithful companion is well worth losing them. Dog's are God's gift to mankind.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJ -

I'm sorry for your loss. I know it was hard to do, but it is for the love of our pets and respect for God's creatures that we don't want them to suffer just so we can enjoy them another day or put off doing what is right. You did the right and humane thing.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Pet death always affects me harder than human death....don't know why. Hope that don't make me a bad person.
It muchly depends on the circumstance. A comfortable 90-year-old who has gotten to say his or her family good-bye's, enjoyed a long and productive life, helped raise some great-grand-kids, and looks at the event as 'catching up with her spouse' who's already passed, is something certainly sad, but inevitable, and sacred - and in a spiritual way, beautiful - and as a physician I feel honored when allowed to help the patient and family deal with the very personal emotions and medical issues related to such a passing.

On the other hand, the death of a young person, with his or her life-tasks barely even started, or with no time for the family to emotionally prepare - leaves me emotionally devastated, angry, and spiritually drained. I probably look rather pale and haggard to the next patient I see if I've had to deal with such an issue with the previous patient. (. . . and God help them if they hit me with the sarcastic look at the watch and the "my time is just as important as yours" comment, if the previous patient was a mom dealing with her child's death like happened the other day, and it makes me 'run late'...!)

Thankfully, our dog's death was in the first category - and, though she was part of our family, she was not a person.

lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I am sorry for your loss, one with which I can empathize greatly.

We lost our Yellow Labrador this past summer. On a Monday, she was swimming in the lake and showing up all the younger dogs. On that Wednesday, she got a nose bleed that would not stop. When I say nose bleed, I mean it was a flowing nose bleed. Our local vet could do nothing. We took her to a specialist in Detroit, who administered whole blood and platelet transfusions. Finally, her platelet count got high enough to clot the blood. But, the nose bleed and low platelet count turned out to be secondary to a large abdominal mass. Inoperable. We brought her home and tried to make her as happy as possible. Lots of time at the lake. But, the tumor grew rapidly, and soon it was impacting her breathing and even her liver as her eyes turned yellow. She was the best dog in the world, and my best friend, and we had to make the worst decision of our lives. Every day since then I still question if I did the right thing.

There is nothing anyone can say that will really make you, or me, feel any better. I guess there is comfort knowing others feel as deeply about their 'pets.' Even calling them a pet seems a bit like an understatement. But, I know my girl took real good care of me, and I owed her the right decision. Even now, I still have her collar and her ashes in my truck, right where she used to sit. I guess I am going to have to do something about that some day.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
LESAGEMIKE
Levergunner

Post by LESAGEMIKE »

AJMD,

You are a tougher dude than me. I just pay the money and take them to a vet who graduated vet school a year behind my sister (although once she was home visiting and just went and got the stuff and did it here at the house) I have buried a lot of dogs because we usually have 3 or 4 on the farm. My closest Uncle lives about 2 miles from here and he did the same thing to the last pet they had 10 years ago or so. I always thought that's why they never got another dog. They do become members of the family and passing in many ways evokes the same emotions. I recently buried a large lab/newfoundland mix we got from wife's coworker when we built the new house 12 or 13 years ago. It was cold rainy and I buried her in our side yard looking at the woods where she use to chase coyotes back into woods and keep the grounds safe for our smaller pets and kids. I will never foget that dog and all she did for us. You and Uncle Don are my heroes and I would like to think I could do it if I had to like in a snow storm or something but so far I just take the easy way out.

Mike
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJ
I dont have any words to say other then I am very sorry to hear of y'alls loss.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Sir, I own Australian cattle dogs, last October our long time bitch Emma had a stroke of some kind, she after the event kept falling over and did not know where she was, although she still recognised her humans, I put here down, she was 17 years old and had served us faithfully and well and an extremely good working dog with cattle. Her off-spring are now still working the property, she lives on, but is now in a better place as we go to eventually. I still miss her dreadfully, but the younger ones are showing me they have learned all she had to teach them in the handling of stock. Her life to me was a gift to be remembered always. She was one very smart dog and very close to being human with her understanding of words and gestures. She will not be forgotten.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET