So, How Many 38spl Fit in a 50cal Ammo Can Anyway?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

So, How Many 38spl Fit in a 50cal Ammo Can Anyway?

Post by COSteve »

It's snowing lightly and been very cold for days (currently -5º) so I fired up the 650 yesterday and got busy loading up my special load of 38spl+P ammo for my leverguns. It took me a little over 3½ hours to produce this nice looking ammo can.

I had no idea how many rds it would take to fill it and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I could get 1,500rds in it. Now, picking it up is a bit of a challenge because there is 51lbs of ammo in that can! Happiness is an ammo can full of boolits on a cold winter's day! I can't wait for a decent shooting day so I can warm up the Rossis.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
ab4ka
Levergunner 1.0

Re: So, How Many 38spl Fit in a 50cal Ammo Can Anyway?

Post by ab4ka »

Holy cow! I'd love to have that sitting in my stash.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I'm not sure I even have that much .38 Spl brass.

What is your load? Looks like a JHP or JSP bullet.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

A really nice (and generous) fellow I know from a handloading forum offered to send me a couple thousand .38 special brass shells for only the cost of shipping. I own a Marlin 1894c and a Rossi 92 SRC in .357/.38 and they both LOVE .38 special loaded with 158gr Oregon Trail "laser cast" bullets over 12.5gr of 2400. IIRC, I loaded the finished shells into old "9mm Blazer" boxes (they barely fit) and they fit 800 to a 50-cal can.

Yeah, I know that's wasting space, but with a bad back - it's not like I can tote heavy stuff around much anymore..

ALSO, The above load I mentioned is NOT a book load and is probably too much for a cheap .38spec revolver. I actually heard this load mentioned here and just want to caution anyone from using this in anything less than a .357mag levergun.
Last edited by Slick on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nice....
I better get busy and fill mine up to!!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

*awp101 sighs and longs for the day when his spare room opens up and he can get his reloading gear set-up which should be in a couple of months. He also wipes away a tear, so moved is he by such a thing of beauty...*
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Steve,

I wouldn't do this for just any body so others need not ask, but I can see you are working on a pretty bad case of cabin fever and winter is just startin. If you'll send me those loaded brass cases I'll empty 'em for ya and send 'em back so you can load 'em again. I'll even pay return postage for you. that way you'll have something to keep you bust till Christmas eve anyway.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Rusty,

While I really appreciate your generous offer to help me out, this is Colorado and as everyone knows the weather changes here quite quickly. This week's forecast is for temps in the 40s so I'm sure I'll make it out to the range again real soon.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The price of land in most of Colorado has gone up dramatically in the last seveal years and now many rich people have pushed the selling price out of reach of most of the folks who don't star in movies for a living. So it is understandable that most folks there have to go to the range to practice. Hope you have fun emptying that brass so that you can reload it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost