OT WASP/Yellow Jacket REMOVAL

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

OT WASP/Yellow Jacket REMOVAL

Post by paulyseggs »

Yesterday, my mother and my girlfriend were clearin up the yard and moved a small log and some Wasps/yellow jackets came out and stung them a few times. I was at work and figured they were in the log.

I come home from work to some serious commotion.

A friend/handyman stopped by and mom had him cut down a few small trees and in doing so they removed the rest of the log. BIG NEST! Mom got stung a few dozen times as did the man's dog. I was told that as they were running a cloud followed them about 12ft long.

How should I go about this? Kerosene? Call a company?
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Find the entrance hole. After dark when they're all in the nest throw a cup of gasoline into the hole. DO NOT IGNITE IT. The fumes will settle into all the nooks and crannies and kill them all. After three days, do it again to kill hatched larve.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My approach is usually to douse the area with insecticide from a hose sprayer that will spray out 15 to 20 feet. This has worked well on such critters in the weeds, bushes, trees, and ground.
It is NEVER a good idea to attempt to physically destroy suspected nest areas without a premptive insecticide strike!. Better to avoid getting stung than to get even for stings. Also best to do this early in the day because such pests become very active when the temperature warms up.
crs
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yup...go out at night when it is coolest(early morning before sun, preferably).....squirt them with a can of Wasp Killer Spray. After you see they are dead and everything is saturated....go in a remove the nest material.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I just went through this about 1 month ago. Your lucky. My nest didn't go down into the ground, it went UP into a mound. I had to cut away low lying branches, soak the ground with several cans of spray, and then finally dig the massive nest up. It still had about half the larvae unhatched.

Like others have said if you can get to it in the middle of night, without putting your light directly on it, then dropping about a cup of gas down it your problem will be solved. Wait a couple of days and then dig it up.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Just did it this morning.
I'm preparing for archery deer which opens here next sat.
My & my son went to check a stand last week & theres a downed limb next to the base of my tree with a very busy yellow jacket nest! :shock:
Went by this morning & watched where they went in & soaked the entrence with hornet & wasp spray. They'll be gone by tommorow. 8)
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Leverdude wrote:Just did it this morning.
I'm preparing for archery deer which opens here next sat.
My & my son went to check a stand last week & theres a downed limb next to the base of my tree with a very busy yellow jacket nest! :shock:
Went by this morning & watched where they went in & soaked the entrence with hornet & wasp spray. They'll be gone by tommorow. 8)
Nope, they won't be gone by tomorrow. If it was daytime, half or more of the adults were out of the nest. In a week they'll be back and the larva will have hatched.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

about the gasoline...

the nest is right next to the well. would this affect the well?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It shouldn't be a problem if you only use a small amount. you should have a metal casing that runs down into the ground quite a way that will act to seperate it from the gas. Just don't go overboard.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Last year when I had the bee (and bear) problem several people suggested Sevin-dust insecticide. Put it around the nest and they bring it in and it kills them off. I never got to try the stuff as the bear finished the job before I could.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

what i did when i had a big nest in my dads yard i went out at night no moon to be seen black i spared the nest waited one hour the took a heavy duty black bag placed it over the nest and then trimmed the breaches away till the nest fell in to the bag tied it closed and let it sit in the sun for two days opened the bag just enough to spry again let sit and gave it to a friend who is an earth sciest teacher she use it in her class now
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My wife got into one under out deck on LaborDay Sunday. Hit her 13 times.

Not a good idea to pour volitiles under a deck... My fire insurance won't cover it.

After much consultation what I did was:

#1 Spray at the underground nest entrance with 20' yellowjacket/wasp spray. Do this until you have time to do the following:

#2 AFTER DARK (after identifying the entrance hole) and USING A RED LIGHT pour a quantity of "SEVEN" pesticide dust (a cholinase inhibitor nerve toxin, so be careful) over and around the entrance. Wait one day. Dig up the nest and fill the hole.

I really prefer the Gasoline/Kerosene method over pouring VX powder on stuff, but in some respects VX is safer...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!