Puma 357 mag arrived today....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Puma 357 mag arrived today....

Post by Buckeye »

This little 357 Puma seems to have decent wood..
16in barrel

Should go good with my 50th annv. Blackhawk 357
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Puma 357 mag arrived today....

Post by eric65 »

Nice set,and in my favorite caliber too
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! And yeah, the wood looks great! The one I just got has nice looking wood too.

Perfect pair - a Puma and a BH. :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

I was suprised with wood , and the butt plate and stock are flush..the first for me.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

your world just got a whole lot more fun!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:your world just got a whole lot more fun!!!

I'll say!
I love my little .357 Rossi!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice!
NRA Life Member
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

I have the Rossi 16 1/2 inch 357 also.
Take my advice and
Buy A LOT of reloading supply's.
You will need them.

Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

A comment on Rossi's wood stocks is in order. I went to the gun show today and saw my first and second Rossi with the really dark wood that many have mentioned here. Both were Interarms imports and now I understand what you've been talking about.

I say that because both my Rossi rifle and carbine have decent medium stained wood on them; much like the OP's pictured above. I guess that the more recent Rossi's all have better wood that previously.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Good lookin' guns, my favorite handgun caliber, also!
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

It looks just like mine (dark wood), but with a shorter barrel. They are nice rifles indeed.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I sure do like my Rossi .357. You will end up shooting more rounds through that than anything you have. That is a fine looking set.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had one of those some years back, and it really liked handloads with 110-grain bullets, of all things. Say, that is quite a fine-looking knife there. It looks like it has a story to tell.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IMO, Rossi wood is the one variable that you can count on! Err... to be variable, that is! I have 3, two in .357 from Interarms and one in .45Colt from EMF. They are each quite different in wood. The two from Interarms vary greatly... The gold-washed and engraved receiver on my wife's has beautiful wood. This pic doesn't quite show it, but it has nice figure and great color!

The rather plain-jane carbine of my son's has the infamous "Brazilian mystery wood and while it's quite dark, it's also very hard. Which is a good thing, as it was his CAS competition gun and he wasn't exactly gentle with it! I don't have a separate picture of it, but it's the 4th from the right below:

I do believe that EMF took some special care when selecting my .45Colt Short Rifle for me back in 2004.

While it's not as light in color as the wife's, it a nice rich, medium walnut with good figure... at least in my estimation!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

COSteve wrote:A comment on Rossi's wood stocks is in order. I went to the gun show today and saw my first and second Rossi with the really dark wood that many have mentioned here. Both were Interarms imports and now I understand what you've been talking about.

I say that because both my Rossi rifle and carbine have decent medium stained wood on them; much like the OP's pictured above. I guess that the more recent Rossi's all have better wood that previously.

-------
Many of the first half to two-thirds of the Interarms era were better wood than even some later post-Interarms guns. It was in the last 1/3 of the Interarms production where the very dark--almost black--mystery wood/stain appeared. This seemed to coincide with the elimination of the saddle ring (for a time) on most carbines, and was a dissapointing period for Rossis (whether you like saddle rings or not, though many would say it was a response to complaining CAS shooters, it was indicative or symbolic of--at least coincident with--a lessening of the overall product). Ironically, most with the goofy (to some) "Puma" emblem on the receiver in the middle Interarms era had pretty decent wood, relatively speaking.

The ones depicted in this thread are indeed fine examples. The early-to-mid Interarms were right up there as well, lest someone associate "Interarms" generally with a lesser product. All my half dozen or so (as well as some Pre-safety EMFs) have been largely trouble free and from no worse than average to some with very nice, "near old Winchester" wood (at the very least no odd stain!). Their fore-ends also are all better finished off than just about any post Interarms Rossis, and had "longer wood" ahead of the band (on carbines) than many later truncated examples.