Stupid Question about 45 cal big bore lever guns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Stupid Question about 45 cal big bore lever guns...

Post by Hillbilly »

The 45-90 thread brought to mind a question I had a few years ago... and never fully resolved.

I dont play with the older BP based cartridges and the big framed levers... so excuse my ignorace.

Can you fire a 45-70 from a 45-90 rifle. Would the freebore length totally ruin the accuracy potential? I assume there would be some carbon ringing (44scp from a magnum.. 38 from 357Mag kind of thing). Would this be "safe" if possible?

I passed on an poorly refinished 45/90 a few years ago... and have always wondered about these issues.

thanks guys

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Stupid Question about 45 cal big bore lever guns...

Post by kimwcook »

I've shot 45-70 loads out of my 45-90 and they were actually more accurate. My range sessions aren't scientific by no means and I haven't shot many of either rounds through the rifle. I'm sure some work with the 45-90 loads would produce better results, but so far that's what I've got. And, yes, shooting 45-70's out of the 45-90 chamber probably isn't the best thing to do on a steady diet, but I don't plan on doing a ton of it.
Old Law Dawg
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Biggest draw back I can see is the same as using 38 special rounds in a 357 mag or 44 special in a 44 mag. I only have 45-70 caliber so don't really know but it seems to be a logical issue.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Over a long period of time you might do some damage to the 45/90 chamber in front of the 45/70 case. But that would be an awful lot of shooting, so I wouldn't worry about that much. Just as long as you don't let any fouling accumulate foward of the 45/70 case that could stick a 45/90 case later.