Insurance Pictures

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Insurance Pictures

Post by allhands »

I was at the range recently and met a gentleman there who was sighting in a new rifle. We struck up a conversation and he told me he lost all his guns in a housefire last winter. I asked if they were insured, and he replied that he did in fact have homeowners insurance, but had an almost impossible time getting money to replace his firearms. I have never had the tragedy of a house fire, although throughout my 20 year career as a firefighter I have put out alot of them, so I decided on a project.....Taking pictures of all of them, and creating a master list of serial numbers and current blue book values in the unlikely event of a fire.....So I put to you a question...has anyone had to deal with an insurance company to replace firearms?

Oh and by the way, I figured a picture of my current levergun collection would add some eye-candy....

Left to right..Win Model 88 in .308, Marlin Model 444 Scout, WIn Model 94 30-30 (1954), WIn 94 in 32 spec(1949)
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Insurance Pictures

Post by Terry Murbach »

MOST HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE POLICIES DO NOT--NOT!!!--COVER ANYTHING MORE THAN A MINIMAL AMOUNT ON GUNS. YOU MUST BUY SPECIFIC COVERAGE ON THEM AND IN MANY CASES THIS IS NOT AVAILABLE FROM MANY HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE COMPANIES.
THE NRA HAS AN INSURANCE COMPANY THAT CAN FURNISH ANY AMOUNT OF COVERAGE YOU WANT IF YOU SHOVEL ENOUGH MONEY IN THEIR DIRECTION.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Taking a page out of the Liberal's Playbook, I have outlawed fire in my home.....That should do it. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

As an insurance adjuster myself , i am familiar with homeowner's policies. They can vary from company to company, but basically there are "special limits" on Firearms, cash, jewelry, artwork, and commercial or business property stored at the home.

Usually the special limits on firearms are $2000 to $2500 (for some of us that may be just 1 or 2 guns). Jewelry is similar , 2500 basically covers a nice watch and thats about it anymore. The same if you have a lot of --- say-- welding equipment or something in the garage that you use for your job -- special limits there too unless additional coverages are purchased

Photograph them, take down the serials, etc. then figure what your replacement cost for all of them is and purchase a policy extension , or "rider" for that amount, or factor in an addiitonal 20% on top of that. Optics and accessories do not count as firearms and is covered under the standard policy with the only limit being the policy amount
----- Doug
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Terry and Streetstar are dead on in this. Pictures are a good thing if you have a fire or a theft, but if you have a normal homeowner's policy your coverage will be limited regardless of how well-documented your loss may be. Many companies offer specific coverage for things like firearms, jewelry, electronics, works of art, antiques, etc., and if your estate is heavy on such items you would do well to look in to what is available. If your guns are worth $25,000 and your policy limits coverage to $2,500, you are out the difference, period. And shop around -- even though some companies may offer such policies, they may not really be all that keen on selling them, and a high price will reflect that. When I was a Property and Casualty Insurance Agent, I regularly steered clients away from my company to the NRA program, with my company's blessing. They offered it because some high-power clients expected it, but they charged out the wazoo for it. Some loyal customers actually insisted I show them a quote, and were always stunned with the cost. I then turned their sorrow to joy by going online, printing off the NRA insurance info and application, and showing them what their premium would be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Insure those guns when you fly, too! the NRA Armscare Plus insurance cost is $0.0174 per dollar of insured value + $10 admin fee per year or, IOW, $880 per year for a $51,000 collection. Armscare Plus Application
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

But does anyone have any idea as to whether you can actually get your money out of the NRA insurance? Their low interest credit card they sponsored turned out to be a scam, so I wouldn't be too interested in shelling out money that direction without hearing some personal stories of a good product . I know that Shelter offers rider policies for very reasonable considering, on guns and jewelry and other contents not normally covered by homeowners insurance.

Ed
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Sportsman's Insurance Agency in Ormond Beach, Florida. Hollis Boss is the owner. We have firearms "disappear" from the airlines in two different African countries on different occassions. We filed and report and forward it to Hollis. A check for the full amount arrived within 10 days - including scope, hard case, and binos.

On another occassion our client closed the garage door on our loaner rifle and broke the stock. We got an estimate to replace it from a well known stocker. Hollis sent a check for the full replacement of the stock within 5 days or receiving the estimate.

I know a client that had a rifle stolen from his vehicle while enroute to a hunt destination. They sent him the check before the 5 day hunt was over.

I was told there will be a change coming in 2010 where only the owner, or a direct family member has to be in control of the firearm for coverage to apply. In other words, I have to come up with a new plan to loan rifles to our clients, especially for the oversees trips.

Sportsmans Insurance Agency never asked for photos or receipts. I have some sentimental value rifles that aren't worth $200 street value insured for $25 per year. I have a Purdey insured for $60,000 down to my Win 1886 for $2500 and Mauser 98 375 H&H for $1000. Total I pay just over $200 per year for complete firearms protection and because of this great coverage I never think twice about using them, taking them on a plane or bringing them wherever I may travel.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its a gamble having lots of guns. Its a financial outlay most anybody can afford as its "one gun a year" or whatever and over the years, it all adds up. Paying the $1000 or more per year for coverage hardly make sense for the average guy. Getting money from an insurance company is like getting rationalization from a Liberal.

My solution:
Get a GOOD safe. Place it in the basement. IF your house burns, its unlikely it will burn all the way down---heat rises--my buddy firefighters tell me a good safe will protect the goods very well, when the goods are below the heat.

If you don't have a basement, but a garage, bolt that safe away from the house in the garage at the furthest distance you can. (I mean bolt, weld, rig with claymores, etc.) :D

If you don't have a basement or a garage, keep the safe in an area of the house that is facing the wind so it will be the last thing that burns---preferably NOT near the kitchen, fireplace, or burner----duh--i'm so smart :roll:

Keep at least two dogs--they will warn you of fire as much as two legged varmints. We have 14 Yorkies---nasty little land piranhas---

Be very conscience of acts or decisions you or family members make that may cause you a fire.

Let it be known that intruders will be shot, then shot again if they survive the first 230 grains of hot lead. Its usually someone who knows you that will rip you off.

In the end, nothing in life is guaranteed--its all a gamble---you just have to make the odds in your favor.-----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Check your individual homeowner's policy. Read it, don't take the agent's word. My policy limits my guns to $2500...I had to pay extra to get $5000 in coverage. But those limits are for theft, not fire. (in my policy, maybe not yours-check it.)

If you do have a fire, yes, heat does go up-to a point. It depends on where you live and what kind of fire department/response time you have on how much damage you will have before the fire is put out.

Just remember, if you do have a fire, as soon as you can safely do so-get your guns out of the gun safe and clean and oil them. The safe is designed to reduce heat, not necessarily moisture. The gypsum liner by it's very nature contains moisture that will be driven out by the heat of the fire and into the contents of the safe. You policy also says you are supposed to take measure to prevent further damage after the loss.

I don't have a gun fire safe yet. When I get one, it will have the highest fire rating I can find. I live in a rural area and the VFD will have an extended response time and very little water to work with. I will position my safe where a hose stream can be directed through a window and onto the safe. Let the whole thing burn down if you have to, but keep that safe as cool as you can,please. (if my wife is nice to me I will let her store her photo albums in my new gun safe...)

My company will give me a discount if I put dead-bolt lock on (which keep honest people honest) but will not give me a discount from buying a fire safe to put valuables in. They also encourage you to put double cylinder locks (the kind you need a key from either side) which will not keep a burglar from kicking in a door or breaking a window, but will keep you from getting out in an emergency and are more likely to cause your own death that having any amount of guns in the house will.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle