OT-What's on your "short list"?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-What's on your "short list"?

Post by awp101 »

Or Christmas list seeing as how it's that time of year (and in my case BDay list too! :lol: ). I know we have these every so often and I know what catches the fancy of several of us (myself included) seems to change each time the wind changes direction. :mrgreen:

Looking at it realistically I believe I'm down to 3-4 rifles (including projects) and 1-2 handguns.

Handguns:
cz82 in .32ACP - Not many were brought in AFAIK and I need it to go with my 9 Mak version since I also have access to the .380 version as well.

.38 Super 1911 - I enjoy my .45s but I LOVE the Super! I've had Supers in a couple of pistols but never a 1911 platform. This may be a build project since Colt's are out of my reach and the only "clones" I see (Para, RIA, etc) are blinged out with nickle and sport pearlized stocks.

Rifles:
Small ring Mauser carbine sporter project - I have this rifle built in my head, just a matter of getting the parts, time and money to coincide. I'll probably trade off my bubba Gew98 base rifle (intended for another project) for preferably a bubba'd Swede 96 and have it barreled in my secret caliber. :wink:

.22 Martini - I've given up on my quest to build several sporter Cadets for numerous reasons. I've decided I just need a .22 Martini to complete the Martini AND rimfire collections. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the right one and I have a couple of leads.

Springfield 1903/03A3 (X2)- After finding one this weekend (sporterized but at a screaming price and I wanted a sporter in the first place) I think I need a mil-spec version to keep it company. I'd also like a complete action to build into a post-war sporter replica.

So there it is, 2 handguns and 4 rifles. Sure, there's scads of stuff I'd like to have but between what I've already got in the safe and these 6 weapons I think I'd have my ideal working collection. Plus, with the stuff I've had to part with over the past year (some by choice, others by necessity) I've come to a new understanding of what I truly appreciate in a firearm and a bunch of the stuff I get "gotta-have-it-now-itus" over ends up simply duplicating something I found I could live without in the first place.

OK, that went a little rambling and Zen-like but oh well. :lol:

What's on your list?
Last edited by awp101 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-What's on your "short list"?

Post by Wes »

My short list rifle is a M99 my neighbor has in 308. It's in really, really, good shape. It has an older Leupold 4x on it. He wants $300 for it. Christmas/birthday, doesn't matter to me as they're only two days apart.
Then again I thought I might upgrade scopes on the rifles I have. I could use a Leupold 4-12x or 4.5-14x for my 257 Wby.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm currently on a double rifle kick, but I think I have satisfied that list for the time being. Eventually I would like to get a .470 NE, but will have to wait for the right one.

I have been looking for a nice Griffen & Howe or Sedgley 03 in 30-06 with lyman rear peep.
I also would like to get a really nice Lee Speed Patent in .303, file flat rib and all.
I also need to find a .22 rifle that I can be really happy with, that has really alluded me for a number of reasons.
I'm good with handguns currently
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns, what are you looking for in a .22 rifle?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am a hunter over a shooter so my .22lr needs to be set up for hunting firstly. I live in Pa. so it can't be a semi-auto. I have a mauser .22lr but I am going to get rid of it, shoots fine, don't like the sights. The happiest I have been around a .22lr has been a Marlin TDS - I sold it in a moment of stupidity. I have had bolt guns and levers and single shots. I'm thinking I might go back to a single shot, perhaps another Stevens Favorite, but they are hard to come by in the conditon I like.

I'm really not sure, Any suggestions???
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns94 wrote:I am a hunter over a shooter so my .22lr needs to be set up for hunting firstly. I live in Pa. so it can't be a semi-auto. I have a mauser .22lr but I am going to get rid of it, shoots fine, don't like the sights. The happiest I have been around a .22lr has been a Marlin TDS - I sold it in a moment of stupidity. I have had bolt guns and levers and single shots. I'm thinking I might go back to a single shot, perhaps another Stevens Favorite, but they are hard to come by in the conditon I like.

Well, if the Marlin fit the bill I'd suggest that. :mrgreen: Have you tried the CZ or Savage bolt actions? Are you using iron sights, glass or both? Maybe a Martini?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My short list for Christmas is that all my kids could be here. Wont happen, but it's still tops over any material things.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

open sights
Mike Johnson,

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Marlin 1894 in .357. Stainless and preferably 16".

Next would be a Marlin in .218 Bee (1st choice), .25/20(3rd) or .32/20 (2nd).

Next would be a 16" Win94AE in 30/30. Might have to find a donor and make it what I want.

Other commitments will keep this list "as is" for a substantial amount of time.

LK
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

1) A Belgian-made Browning A-5 12ga or 16ga shotgun. Must be in excellent condition. No beaters.
2) A standard Marlin 1895 45-70. This will be topped with a nice 2x or 4x scope for close-in work during deer and boar season.
3) A Ruger #1 in either 7x57mm or 30-06. A good .270 would work too.
4) A Savage 99 in either .243 or .300. Must be in good shape and tapped for a scope. Exact model not important.
5) A pre-64 Model 70 in 300 H&H.
6) A Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag with the squareback trigger guard.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I'm "OK" in the shootin' hardware department -- oh sure there's lots I'd want or find myself thinking about -- but what I'D REALLY WANT this year is.................

A new President and an entirely new Congress!!!

Let's throw the current crowd out and start again!!!

Bah humbug!!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

rjohns, someone put up a DR in 470NE on the AR classifieds. Kriegoff (sp?) IIRC. Buy it so I won't be tempted (450NE is biggest I want to go--I think)
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: A new President and an entirely new Congress!!!

Let's throw the current crowd out and start again!!!

Old No7
+1!!!

Just got one of the things on my list this weekend (will post on it later - I know better than to do so without pictures! :shock: ) - a AR-15 flat-top. Picked it up during the "tax-free" holiday on firearms this past Friday and Saturday in South Carolina. :D :D :D

Gun funds now thoroughly depleted. Will be well into 2010 before I'm able to seriously consider something new. I have a bunch of things on the "short list" though! An over/under 12 gauge, a 1911A1 "Long Slide", a "Mare's Leg", etc... :D
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

marlinman93 wrote:My short list for Christmas is that all my kids could be here. Wont happen, but it's still tops over any material things.
+1, Vall! Got six - five have spouses, - and 11 grandchildren. I'd give the world to have them ALL troop in Christmas day...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rossi .44 Mag 16"

For cjbluff http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=22711 since she wants a blued one vs. (my) stainless one she used to bag her first deer... The family rule is you get the gun (...or a blued equivalent... :roll: ) you get your first deer with.

She wants the Marble's Bullseye rear sight on it, too... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

rjohns94 wrote:I have a mauser .22lr but I am going to get rid of it, shoots fine, don't like the sights.
Not to hijack the thread and only out of curiosity at this moment - but how much are you wanting for that Mauser? I shot one a few years ago - the only one I've seen so far. Lovely rifle. Heavy for a 22 -but a hoot to shoot. So now I'm curious as to what you'd need out of it.

The Stevens Favorite is a great rifle. It's the first one I ever hunted with. It's my brother's now and I've been looking for another one myself. They are NOT easy to find at a reasonable price in decent shape. My dad got his from his boss who was fed up with it for some reason and was threatening to "pound a bolt in the barrel and toss it in the cow pond". Dad offered to make it disappear and it has spent that last nearly 50 years in our family.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Short list for me is short indeed.

A 12 gauge in either pump or double barrel configuration.
A 22 pistol or rifle.

And they have to be already in the country and with legal papers, reasonable (relatively) price and transferable - which makes for not only a short list but a difficult one as well.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

My short list that should do me for a while is a Marlin Mountie, and after trading into and out of shotguns for the last 20 years; a keeper plain jane Rem 870.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Not in any particular order but heres my dream sheet!

M-4 Carbine
Ruger .44 mag super blackhawk 4 5/8 or 5.5 barrel
1903 Sporter (found one I really like but cant afford right now)
Military Version of Remington M11 or Mossberg 590
.243 Bolt Action that shoots minute of coyote
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

rjohns94 wrote:I am a hunter over a shooter so my .22lr needs to be set up for hunting firstly. I live in Pa. so it can't be a semi-auto. I have a mauser .22lr but I am going to get rid of it, shoots fine, don't like the sights. The happiest I have been around a .22lr has been a Marlin TDS - I sold it in a moment of stupidity. I have had bolt guns and levers and single shots. I'm thinking I might go back to a single shot, perhaps another Stevens Favorite, but they are hard to come by in the conditon I like.

You can have Paul Shuttleworth build you a 44-1/2 "hunter". www.cparifles.com

I purchased a 22LR bench gun from him and I did the final fit/finish on the wood.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

stew71 wrote:6) A Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag with the squareback trigger guard.
I thought everyone hated the squarebacks because they hit your knuckles more than the others...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

AJMD429 wrote:
stew71 wrote:6) A Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag with the squareback trigger guard.
I thought everyone hated the squarebacks because they hit your knuckles more than the others...?
Certain authors have that problem. When it comes to handgun grippystockhandlegrabberthingies you really need to try it for yourself. I really like the QPR bird' s head gripframe for example. I've large hands, but that little thing works great for me. I don't do the heavy loads, only up to 16 grains or so of 2400 under a 300 gr cast slug. But I like it. Some folks hate it. I shot a "Dragoon" grip frame this past summer in 357 max and had no complaints over the square back trigger guard. The Ruger Bisely, on the other hand, I can not shoot well. So you really need to try it out for yourself. Fit and feel is very subjective.
Paul - in Pereira

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Ruger #1 in 38-55
S&W 396 Mt gun in 44 special
after those two, I might be completly happy!.....welll not for long :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6" Python - nickel plated (my dealer let me layaway it and i still owe him 600 bucks ) --- probably have it in a week or so -- Merry Christmas to me :D

Blackhawk industries recoil reducing stock for my .300 Weatherby (its a bit "sniper--y" looking, but anything to ease the pain a bit) and a NODAK retro AR-15 A1 lower receiver for a retro M-16 project i have going (yes - in some circles - older M-16 variants are already considered "retro" :lol: )

------ outside of that, i wish for a successful, drama free hunt the next time i get to hit the woods with my brother. For me , sometimes its a success if i can just watch a flock of turkeys waddle by, or catch a glimpse of a bobcat stalking a squirrel. If i score --- that means at least 2 hours of work with the knife, plus a lot of huffing and puffing getting a carcass out (i have passed up numerous deer in my life just because of this fact alone :) )
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

still hoping santa can find me a used repro 95 src in 30-06. if someone hacked the barrel to 20", all the better. looking in the 650.00 range. big red sleigh needs 4 new tires SOON! :(
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

Let's see...

1. M-60 GPMG, fully transferrable or pre-86 DS. Considering that this will run $25,000.00 or more, it'll take some time. :wink: Been on my wish list since the 1980s.

2. Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 stainless with gripped laminate stock. (SDG is the model designation IIRC.) Probably pretty realistic, or moreso than most other things on this list!

3. Heckler & Koch Mark 23 .45acp pistol. $2,000.00 or so; it'll take some time to justify this to myself.

4. Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc., Maxim .45 suppressor. Only needed if I pick up the Marlin Guide Gun, though.

5. Sabre Defense AUG-A3. $1,800.00 or so; same trouble as the H&K MK23 above.

So yeah, I've got some weird tastes. This is the short list; if we extend it to top 10 a bunch more 1873/76 Winchesters are on there!

Mike
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

prebans wrote:Let's see...

1. M-60 GPMG, fully transferrable or pre-86 DS. Considering that this will run $25,000.00 or more, it'll take some time. :wink: Been on my wish list since the 1980s.

2. Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 stainless with gripped laminate stock. (SDG is the model designation IIRC.) Probably pretty realistic, or moreso than most other things on this list!

3. Heckler & Koch Mark 23 .45acp pistol. $2,000.00 or so; it'll take some time to justify this to myself.

4. Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc., Maxim .45 suppressor. Only needed if I pick up the Marlin Guide Gun, though.

So yeah, I've got some weird tastes. This is the short list; if we extend it to top 10 a bunch more 1873/76 Winchesters are on there!

Mike

Your tastes aren't weird if this is AR15.com :lol: I have an affinity for HK products too -- a genuine HK stamped HK91 is on my "long list", kind of like your MK -23, it'll take some doing to justify 2k for what to me is an intensely homely looking firearm, but one of these days one will crop up. An AUG would look great under my christmas tree too, but its hard to justify with the stable full of AR's i currently run
----- Doug
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I hope Sandy Claws is readin' this.

1. SXS in .410
2. S&W 29 with 4" barrel.
3. Marlin levergun in .500 S&W Magnum.

:D
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

1. M-60 GPMG, fully transferrable or pre-86 DS.
2. Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 stainless with gripped laminate stock.
3. Heckler & Koch Mark 23 .45acp pistol.
4. Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc., Maxim .45 suppressor.
5. Sabre Defense AUG-A3.

Mike

Welcome aboard, Mike! Always good to see a UT compadre elsewhere.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

You'll really fall in love with the 1911 Super. I've about 4 1911's, in different calibers, and if pressed, the Super will be the last to go.

I really don't have a short list any more. But there are things that pique my interest somewhat more than others..but the list changes positions depending on the day. Today top of the list is the Thompson, but tomorrow it could be a low-wall in 25-20SS, and the day after it could be...well you get the problem. :lol:

Ed
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

There is absolutely nothing on my "short list," thanks to a few acquisitions since July:

1) Used 6" S&W 648 "no dash" in 22 Magnum. *******' tackdriver.

2) Used 4" S&W 617-4 "10-shot" "pre-lock" model. *******' tackdriver x 10. I can bust 4" claybirds on edge on the 50 yd berm with this thing, 9 or 10 for 10. Unbelieveable. It has the right SA trigger pull, grip, sights, whatnot. Everything is "right" about this gun.

3) Nice lightly used Nylon 66 for cheap ($100), another *******' tackdriver.

4) NIB Stoeger SXS Coach Gun in .410, right time, right place, right price of $240.

5) Mossberg 183KC .410 Bolt action shotgun, as-new condition for $125.

6) Marlin 336CB in 38-55. A "grail" gun.

7) 5" Uberti 1872 "Open Top" in 45 Colt. Previous owner did a beautiful trigger job on this piece, and the little nibs for sights are dead-on regulated at 25 yds.

As a consequence, there is nothing on the short list. But I'll know the next acquisition when I see it. :lol:

Noah
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

Streetstar wrote:

Mike

Your tastes aren't weird if this is AR15.com :lol: I have an affinity for HK products too -- a genuine HK stamped HK91 is on my "long list", kind of like your MK -23, it'll take some doing to justify 2k for what to me is an intensely homely looking firearm, but one of these days one will crop up. An AUG would look great under my christmas tree too, but its hard to justify with the stable full of AR's i currently run
Arf? More like Sturm or Subguns. :lol:

Why not go HK-51?

Mike
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

Welcome aboard, Mike! Always good to see a UT compadre elsewhere.

Noah

Good Lord! Are there other UTers on here?

Thank you, but I've actually been on for a few years. Hadn't come on for a LONG time and when I did, the new forum didn't have my old user name registered. Thus, the new registration under my standard name.

I made the mistake of shouldering a stainless Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun.

Mike
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

UT? University of Texas or Tennessee? :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

awp101 wrote:UT? University of Texas or Tennessee? :lol:

Nope. Uzi Talk.

Noah
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Don't want material stuff. Just looking forward to getting up to Sudbury and being with my wife again. By then we'll have been apart six weeks. Dragging her back out on the truck afterwards. :D
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Noah Zark wrote:4) NIB Stoeger SXS Coach Gun in .410, right time, right place, right price of $240.
Noah, what's the choke on it? The Old Man bought one and all the box says is "fixed choke". Fixed full? Imp? I dunno...

Uzi Talk, eh? If I go there my household budget would be SOOOO toast (along with my hide I suspect :lol: )
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

UZI DOES IT

----- Doug
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

awp101 wrote:
Noah Zark wrote:4) NIB Stoeger SXS Coach Gun in .410 . . .
Noah, what's the choke on it? The Old Man bought one and all the box says is "fixed choke". Fixed full? Imp? I dunno...
One is Full, the other is Mod, IIRC.

Noah