Wolf season closes in MT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Wolf season closes in MT

Post by BigSky56 »

Wolf season closed last week 72 taking a dirt nap. danny

Wolf season closes statewide Nov. 16
by Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
November 16, 2009

Wolf Season Closes Statewide November 16 One-Half Hour After Sunset

Wolf Management Unit 1 (Northern Montana Unit) will close to the hunting of all wolves one half-hour after sunset, Monday November 16, 2009. First notice was given on the wolf hotline Sunday evening as per the 24-hour closure notice.

"The wolf hunt was a success in WMU1," says FWP Wildlife Manager Jim Williams. "Now that we are so close to both the regional and statewide quotas, FWP and the FWP Commission have acted to close the wolf hunt for this year." Statewide, hunters have taken 72 wolves out of the statewide quota of 75.

Williams added that hunters had success in taking wolves across northwest Montana. He said that hunters have welcomed the new opportunity to pursue this animal along with other game animals.

Wolf Management Unit 2 (Western Montana Unit) also closes to the hunting of all wolves one half-hour after sunset, Monday November 16, 2009.

Wolf Harvest Status as of 8:40 pm on Sunday, November 15, 2009, includes:

WMU 1 (Quota is 41) - 38 Wolves have been harvested (18 females, 20 males) Will Close 11/16/09 one-half hour after sunset; North Fork Subunit (ALREADY CLOSED) - 2 wolves have been harvested (Included with WMU1 Quota).

WMU 2 (Quota is 22) 21 Wolves have been harvested (7 females, 14 males) Will Close 11/16/09.

WMU 3 (Southwestern Montana Unit) - (Quota is 12) (ALREADY CLOSED) - 13 Wolves have been harvested (6 females, 7 males).

Total Harvest 72 Wolves have been harvested (31 females, 41 males), out of the statewide quota of 75 wolves.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wolf season closes in MT

Post by JerryB »

That should help save some game this winter, and some stock too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

JerryB wrote:That should help save some game this winter, and some stock too.
It'll make about as much difference as takin' 72 illegal-alien gangbangers out of L.A...... IOW, not too much.

BUT IT'S A START...! ! !
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

must be a misprint... they can't end wolf season 12 months early :evil: :x
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

THis is better news that the trying of several USN Seals for doing their duty.
Maybe they will have a higher quota next year to rid the area of these varmits. The result would be more elk, deer & bear for us.

LB
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Buck Elliott wrote: It'll make about as much difference as takin' 72 illegal-alien gangbangers out of L.A...... IOW, not too much.
Yea! I like that :D As I'm an Easterner, can we add Philly to the list? :D -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'm not all-too-certain that "wolf season" has ever closed, here in Big Beautiful Wyoming, contrary to what the state & federal governments may think... :shock:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

Buck, you ain't suggesting some folks practice the "three-s" method of conservation, are you?
Georgia On My Mind
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well it's a start. Keep up the good work.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

"I'm not all-too-certain that "wolf season" has ever closed, here in Big Beautiful Wyoming, contrary to what the state & federal governments may think... "

WOW!!!! So the only legitimate use of OUR (ie: federal ie: PUBLIC) lands is to raise game animals for hunting and to "lease" (at ridiculously low rates) land for stock raising, and anything like wolves that get in the way of that should be shot?????
Unreal!
Just bought about 50 issues of the American Rifleman magazine from the 1930's. Lots of great reading from old timers who used leverguns in the 1880s-1900's, really interesting. But boy, you read about how they gleefully shot Bald Eagles, hawks, swans, anything that moved and well....it makes a case for game laws. An article on hunting up north with the Eskimos mentions how the author was out in a boat with them when they saw a type of seal (I think he called it a red seal but I cant recall the species now) that was formerly common but now (in his words ) "almost extinct", so he shot 8 of them! BTW, this wasnt for food, he just wanted something to do!
Yes, Wyoming is big and beautiful. You are blessed to live there. I head out there just about every year for shooting, backpacking, etc. I hope it always remains big and beautiful but remember a lot of that land is not yours, it is public and even if you dont like wolves because they prey on cattle on OUR land, there are remedies in place for taking care of your losses.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

So the only legitimate use of OUR (ie: federal ie: UNCONSTITUTIONAL) lands
There, fixed it for ya.

Guess I have a problem with the notion that some bunny-hugger in New York City has as much say about what goes on in Wyoming, as Wyomingites do. Note, wolves do not restrict themselves to running on "public" land.

How much of Ohio has been grabbed by the federal government? It's almost 50% of Wyoming. You might think differently if half of Ohio was run by federal bureaucrats.

BTW, you are using the word "our" incorrectly. Ownership means control. Last I checked, I have no control over what happens on "our" land, otherwise there would be open season on wolves. The correct term is "government" land, since it is they who control.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

CN, I never get into discussions of right and wrongs but because I have suffered cattle loss to wolves I will this one time. The cattle loses on public land amount to 5% 95% is on private property. Unless the gov has a carcass to examine they wont offer damages and even then if the carcass is more than a few hours old other animals get on it and the evidence is gone, when they do it is hamburger price you dont get seed stock prices. In my case I and 3 other connecting ranch's lost 70 animals there was compensation on only 3 even with a film of a wolves harassing a cow calving till she burst her lungs fighting and photos of them eating yearlings no payment gov said. You want wolves petition to have them in your back yard.
Seems like you have a problem with public land grazing thats called multiple land use just like logging, hunting, fishing, camping etc. and as cattle dont eat the same browse/grass as the wildlife wheres the problem plus ranchers improve the water, put out mineral/salt that wildlife use, spray weeds and keep up the roads, trails and drift fences, what fee do you pay to recreate on public ground when you camp/hunt/hike do you clear the trails clean culverts for the small fee you pay. Public grazing is only half the price of private grazing rates and owners have to supply fencing water and liability for the leaser.
Wolves are a blight on mankind thats why out forefathers tried to wipe them out they are surplus killers they kill for fun just like a pack of loose dogs, wolves and man cannot co habitat look at the problems rural people are having. Plus bruce babbit said the wolves will stay in the parks and wilderness.
If the land doesnt belong to the state why does the feds pay each state a PILT (payment in lieu of taxes) fund our county(14% private land) got 5.5 million last year. A person in NYC has no right to decide how my private property is effected neither do I tell them what NYC should do.
Walk a mile in a ranchers boots or ask them about the difficulties, were scratchin in the dirt with the chickens just like you. think about if a animal came on your property and did damage and all you got is a runaround and were sorry but them people in NYC want that animal on your property, there is a reason our founding fathers put in the 10th amendment for states rights and this policy violates that and private property rights too. The gov allows a taking of my property without just compensation, heck if a person was rustling my cattle I could shoot them I can kill a man but not a wolf and shooting wolves for stock killing changes every time judge molloy takes a dump. danny
PS: The actress andie mcdowell use to live around missoula/lolo she was a big supporter of wolves till they came in and killed her dogs she hates wolves now as they say till your ox gets gored.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Did you hear on the news where they arrested a hunter for reporting his kill (as required) two days after the season abruptly ended? He said he was out in the field for 4 days and did not know FWP had ended season after the quota was near. The quota was 75 and they ended it at 72, anticipating that late kill reports would trickle in. Sounds to me like the hunter should have his record expunged and receive a very public apology if his story checks out. But I doubt that is what happens.

EDIT> Here's the link:

http://www.ktvq.com/news/mt-man-cited-f ... r-lincoln/
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I'd like to deactivate one of those critters.....maybe next year!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

What a piece of work that capt is. You have a man out hunting so he don't know exactly when the season ends. He does the "right" thing and calls it in and they dump this on him. Then the state game departments expect their thugs/game wardens to be respected by hunters.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

And people wonder why the tea party movement is growing so fast?

Family ranches and family farms ought to be on the endangered species list.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Federally administerd lands are no longer referred to (officially) as "public lands." They are now called "federal lands..."

You can forget all about the "our" part.

When the feds dump wolves & bears into your back yard, and prohibit you from dealing with them in the most effective manner, and you feel good about it, then (maybe) I'll listen to your leftist/statist diatribe...
Regards

Buck