New member needs some advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
grahng
Levergunner 2.0

New member needs some advice

Post by grahng »

Can someone give some input as to the quality & etc of the Henry rifles.

I like the octogon barrel. I would like this rifle to be 22 Mag. Other alternatives if you have any.

Thank you, Jerry
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New member needs some advice

Post by 86er »

I really like my Henry .22's. In fact I parted with a Browning BL-22 and a Marlin 39A (1960's) and purchased Henry's to replace them. They are extremely accurate and smooth and the one's I got have very nice wood on them. I also like the way Henry does business and supports the 2nd amendment in an outspoken way.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson has the standard Henry .22lr and it is a sweet shooting little carbine. The wood is a nice grade of walnut and oil finished, very nice.
Welcome to the forum!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If I say it enough times, maybe I WILL GET ONE.
I want a Golden Boy with an octagon barrel,.22 Mag., with a long brass scope on it.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

welcome, not an answer to your question,
but it's what i got. :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We went to buy a used one, and thought it was a .22 Mag, but it was a regular .22 LR. It's been a really good and useful gun. VERY smooth action. Accurate, too.

I'd expect the .22 Mag would be the same.

We DID re-do the sights, but we re-do Marlins and Pumas and Rugers most of the time, too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Can't answer your question, but would like to welcome you to the fire.
Old Law Dawg
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one. I got the octagon barreled one in LR. Didn't like it. I didn't care for the trigger, the action was so clunky and loud that it would scare game in the next county, and it won't group for stuff. If I had to do it over I would have bought the BL-22. My 9422 is 3 times the rifle as the Henry but cost about 2 times as much. I took care of the clunky action and reworked the trigger, but it still doesn't hold a group. A friend also bought one, ordered it new, and the action was so stiff that it took a LOT of force to work it. He took his loss and traded it off. I'm just going to try and find something that makes mine shoot I guess.

Ed
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you look on rimfire central you'll see quite a lot of good things about Henry. From what I see their customer service is second to none.

I have a .22 mag pump Henry and I love it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Kansas Ed wrote:I guess I'm the odd man out on this one. I got the octagon barreled one in LR. Didn't like it. I didn't care for the trigger, the action was so clunky and loud that it would scare game in the next county, and it won't group for stuff. If I had to do it over I would have bought the BL-22. My 9422 is 3 times the rifle as the Henry but cost about 2 times as much. I took care of the clunky action and reworked the trigger, but it still doesn't hold a group. A friend also bought one, ordered it new, and the action was so stiff that it took a LOT of force to work it. He took his loss and traded it off. I'm just going to try and find something that makes mine shoot I guess.

Ed
Call Henry and tell them about your problems. They'll send you a shipping tag so you can ship it to them for free and they will make it right.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've had one of the Henrys for over ten years. It's a great little rifle, but the original sights were just too coarse and clunky for me. I installed a Williams receiver sight and put a little Marbles bead up front. Now it's perfect.
NRA Life Member
grahng
Levergunner 2.0

Post by grahng »

Hello to all you that have responed to my post.
I certainly appreciate all of your input and the same goes to those just just responded to say welcome...Thats awesome.
I think I will go ahead and make the purchase of the mag with the octogon barrel. When you put out those hard earned bucks, its great to know what you are getting. Thanks again guys.
Jerry :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

First of all, Jerry, let me welcome you to the fire ! Pull up a stump, set awhile, and chew the fat with us levergunnerz.

I happen to have a BL22, a 9422XTR-Mag, a Marlin 39a, and a Henry Standard H001 .22lr, and can say that although I enjoy the 9422 in magnum, and the 39a is the most accurate of the bunch, the Henry gets the most use - since it feels the handiest to me, the way I've set it up.

All the Henry octagon barreled .22's, lr & mag, are fitted with barrel sights that are dovertailed directly into the barrel, and can so be easily switched out for another sight of a different height for zeroing corrections or a different sight, like Ivory bead or fibre-optic (FireSights/etc).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I saw this posting a little late.

I recommended a .22 Henry levergun to a friend for his grandson's first gun last year. He still thanks me, and absolutely loves it - the appearance and workmanship, accuracy, handling, and price.

Welcome!
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

I also own a H001 and find it to be,
good looking
a very smooth action
accurate
a great value
and alot of fun.
I put a gold bead front sight(modified) and WillIams rear(WGRS 54) on
it.I've shot bricks of super colibris through it without a hitch.
Customer service is second to none.
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special