Original Post removed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Original Post removed

Post by wm »

Original Post Removed
Last edited by wm on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Re: Johnson County Cattle War

Post by Hobie »

Would that person be Mr. Wellman?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

Another book, unless I missed something, is Banditti of the Plains, by
I.G. McPherren. (Cattlemen's Invasion of Wyoming in 1882).
Some names are not the same.
Bob
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Yes Wellman. I walk my pup through the cemetery every other day. I'll have to keep my eyes open for his final resting spot.

Wm
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That page you posted is so full of inaccuracies its almost laughable.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THIS IS AN INTERESTING READ. ALONG WITH THE LINCOLN COUNTY WAR IN NEW MEXICO IT IS THE BEST KNOWN EXAMPLE OF AN OLD WEST RANGE WAR. THIS IS TOO BAD, REALLY A DARNED SHAME, AS THE PLEASANT VALLEY WAR IN ARIZONA TERRITORY MADE THE TWO ABOVE MENTIONED "WARS", COMBINED , LOOK LIKE CAMPFIRE GIRL MEETINGS, OR PERHAPS A BUNCH OF WHINERS PLAYING PATTIE CAKES.
THE PLEASANT VALLEY WAR IN THE A.T. WAS UNBELIEVEABLE IN IT'S LENGTH AND FEROCITY. IT WAS FAMILY AGAINST FAMILY AGAINST FAMILY AND PEOPLE WERE FOUND FOR MANY MANY YEARS SHOT, HANGED, GARROTED, OR JUST FLATOUT D.R.T. MANY WERE NEVER FOUND, THEY JUST DISAPPEARED FOREVER.
THIS OF COURSE IS TO NOT EVEN MENTION THE APACHE INDIAN RAIDS IN ARIZONA THAT WENT ON UP INTO THE 1930's. YEP, THAT IS RIGHT !!! INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE 1930'S AND THE DEPRESSION, AND THE NEW DEALERS HID IT ALL BEAUTIFULLY AS THEY CONTROLLED ALL THE NEWS "FIT TO PRINT" IN THIS COUNTRY AT THAT TIME, RIGHT UP UNTIL THIS TIME. THINK ABOUT THAT; IT IS TRUE !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:) A person that don't know much about the way things are or were can still find themselves on the wrong side of things in the Powder River country, by blowing and going on about how some hired gun appointed US deputy marshal got hisself ambushed by "squatters" "homesteaders" and rustlers.. :mrgreen:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Don McDowell wrote:That page you posted is so full of inaccuracies its almost laughable.
I need a good laugh. How about listing some of the inaccuracies.
ED
Yer never too old
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I meant no offense and as sorry if I ruffled any feathers amongst you guys. If you look closely those are the articles written by the Bay City Tribune and New York
Times from that period. They are not my opinion. I have no dog in this fight.

I only found it interesting that for a change there was a local connection to the Western History you folks seem to enjoy so much. Like I said I walk by this man's grave two or three times a week and had no idea he played a role in such a storied part of our national history.

Again no offense meant and if you will feel more comfortable I will gladly take the entire posting down.

Wm
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

wm, thats pretty cool. It's always fun to find a local connection to history. :)
Ricky

DWWC
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

I am glad you posted it. I just started to read the Banditti book that my dad received in the forties as a gift. It has a copyright date of 1930 and I do not believe it has ever been read. You brought forth some history and I do not believe any feathers were pushed the wrong way. History is history and they had bad politicians and cover ups at that time, even to the president.

Respectfully
Bob
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Modoc ED wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:That page you posted is so full of inaccuracies its almost laughable.
I need a good laugh. How about listing some of the inaccuracies.
The insinuation that Wellman got an urgent telegram on the 10th of May that he was needed back due to trouble at the ranch.... The invasion, and murder of innocent homesteaders by the stockgrowers and their hired guns was over nearly a month before that.
Next thing that glares out is the statement that , Johnson county didn't want to prosecute the invaders. That's pure bunk,Johnson county wanted to prosecute, but due to the corrupt political stunt pulled on behalf of the Stockgrowers and their hired murders, they were put into federal custody and held in "confinement" at Ft. DARussell in Cheyenne. In the first place the feds had no jurisdiction, but then like now that didn't stop things. The Stockgrowers , bought and paid for federal judge held those prisoners in Cheyenne and billed Johnson county. The bill to Johnson County was greater than the counties income, so they had no choice but to drop the charges.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I would love to hear or read more about the indian raids into the 1930's. That's very interesting.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

One other bit of food for thought about Wellman. Indeed he was hired by Blair to come and run the Hoe ranch, his first act of authority was to fire everyone there. The next day he was dead from gunshot wound to the back. Stockgrowers sympathizers were quick to blame it on the "homesteaders", it could of just as easily been one of the disgruntled recently fired folk from the Hoe ranch.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Original Post removed

Post by Modoc ED »

wm - There was no need for yopu to remove your post. It was interesting. Sure there might be some things in it that are not exactly correct but that doesn't mean that we can't learn something about the past from articles like this.

REPOST your original post.

If some of us want to know more about the topic of the post we can do independent research about it.

Thanks for posting. Don't let this discourage you from posting in the future.
ED
Yer never too old
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

wm - I'm sorry that you were chastised about the content of your post, as if you were the author. :roll:

Moreso, that you deleted your OP.

I am personally embarassed that you were treated like that. :oops:

IMHO, That is the same sort of attitude which tends to drive young folks from our sport - and would hope that you "consider the source" (another crusty fanny burp like myself ).

It took me quite awhile to learn that it wasn't WHAT one said - it was HOW what was said, that mattered.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There was no reason to remove the original post.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Wm, please repost the articles.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:wm - I'm sorry that you were chastised about the content of your post, as if you were the author. :roll:

Moreso, that you deleted your OP.

I am personally embarassed that you were treated like that. :oops:

IMHO, That is the same sort of attitude which tends to drive young folks from our sport - and would hope that you "consider the source" (another crusty fanny burp like myself ).

It took me quite awhile to learn that it wasn't WHAT one said - it was HOW what was said, that mattered.

+1 on every bit of that. Stuff doesn't have to be 'accurate' to be interesting, and it STILL provides someone's perspective on the issue at the time. The 'inaccuracy' itself is sometimes part of the overall story and history.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nobody chastized wm.
However it sure seems there's 3 busybody ol widder wemen want to stir trouble where there really wasn't any to be found....... :roll: But then to expect anything less from any or all of them would be...... :(
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hey, WM, go ahead and re-post..... I missed it the first time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The original link wm posted is dead, but heres one from the same web page.http://bjmi.us/bay/1he/writings/wellman-george-a.html.

heres another take on it.http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/johnson.html