OT- Ok, now this is an intimidating home defense weapon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Ok, now this is an intimidating home defense weapon

Post by jdad »

50BMG muzzle break, so the shot takes out the front guy and the blast takes out the two flankers. :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =145680025
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Ok, now this is an intimidating home defense weapon

Post by Rifleman336 »

From the moment I saw a picture of it at the shot show, I thought how stupid is that. You fire that in a small hall way at 3 O' Clock in the morning just to be deafined and blind buy the gas coming off the break back to the user. But theres those "High Speed, Low Drag "Operators" in the shooting public that just had to have it. Talking about more money than sense!!! :roll:

That one takes second place to the moron that was advertsing "Bluderbus" barrels for Remington and mossburg 12ga shotguns. The end of the barrel was a tapercone ending with a 6" funneled end.

I look at those have a belly laugh and then go on my way.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Well,.... as a shooter that has a variation on this type of extreme brake, and uses one,.... I find that extreme brakes do work as published. Less recoil (a whole lot less) with a hard plastic butt plate ONLY, and less muzzle flip (a whole lot less) with a 17" barrel !!! And I really don't give a darn about collateral noise damage. 8) I haven't used or even seen the example in the pic above, and probably wouldn't use it as shown, but at least I appreciate the respect for any individual to do with their weapons as they wish. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My original intent was tongue-in-cheek. :wink: It looked like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. :lol:
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Have you ever tried one? 8)
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

[quote="76/444"]Well,.... as a shooter that has a variation on this type of extreme brake, and uses one,.... I find that extreme brakes do work as published. Less recoil (a whole lot less) with a hard plastic butt plate ONLY, and less muzzle flip (a whole lot less) with a 17" barrel !!! And I really don't give a darn about collateral noise damage. 8) I haven't used or even seen the example in the pic above, and probably wouldn't use it as shown, but at least I appreciate the respect for any individual to do with their weapons as they wish. 8)[/quote]

Hold on their 76/444. There are legitit places for muzzle breaks even for shotguns, but THAT design on that mossburg, pistol gripped shotgun, that'll be held at your side during firing is great for looks but lousy for function.

Hard kick rifles like elephant cartridges and the 50 BMG really shout for them. Their are breaks for common calibers that are all functional.

There are many effective designs for shotguns, but the one on that Mossy was done strickly for looks.

Rifleman 336
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

76/444 wrote:Have you ever tried one? 8)
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I fired a .30-06 with a Boss muzzle break, it work and worked well, it droped the recoil to arond a lite .30-30. But the noise level went way up.

Then there was a gentle man that went to fire his Barrett .50 cal next to my shooting station. After the noise was so much I went change to spot about four spots down. Unfourtunately, I had to cross behind him a couple times the one time I was directly behind him and I felt nothing. another time I was directly 45 degrees, when he squeezed of another. :o It was like a hammer hit my shoulder!! The same style break as used on that mossburg.

And you'll be alot closer if using that pistol gripped shotgun. So it doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

Rifleman 336
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

76/444 wrote:Well,.... as a shooter that has a variation on this type of extreme brake, and uses one,.... I find that extreme brakes do work as published. Less recoil (a whole lot less) with a hard plastic butt plate ONLY, and less muzzle flip (a whole lot less) with a 17" barrel !!! And I really don't give a darn about collateral noise damage. 8) I haven't used or even seen the example in the pic above, and probably wouldn't use it as shown, but at least I appreciate the respect for any individual to do with their weapons as they wish. 8)
Most of us DO care about "collateral noise damage." there are more effective and efficient means to clear one's hallway of bogey-men in the night, without deafening onself or family members who might be too close by.

You go ahead and use yours, though. Whatever trips your trigger (and blows your ears off...) is OK with me.

(Not that you need permission...)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jdad wrote:50BMG muzzle break, so the shot takes out the front guy and the blast takes out the two flankers. :D
:lol:
That muzzle brake would certainly be the kind of thing to make an intruder load his pants, even if it were on a .22 LR gun.

Actually, the 'intimidation' factor could be an asset, even though such a brake is obviously not needed on that kind of gun (IMHO, anyway, unless the user is very petite or frail or recoil-shy). If something looks intimidating, that decreases the odds that it will actually have to be used; a .38 special snubnose might prove plenty lethal, but you'd have to "prove" it to some intruders by using it on them, which means cops, paperwork, gun confiscation, and even if you're in the right, can mean lawsuits, jail time, and loss of gun ownership rights (all thanks to our screwed up legal system). Best to avoid having to shoot, and if an 'intimidating' (albeit silly-looking to us) gun muzzle helps avoid actually shooting, that's good.

NOW on the other hand, if you did have to shoot, you can be sure that 'intimidating' gun will be held aloft by a triumphant attorney to show the jury just how blood-thirsty and violent you must be, and that could un-do the above advantages...

I'd pick a good-old 'regular' shotgun, good-old 'regular' levergun, or good-old 'regular' handgun - partly for those very reasons. Plus they seem to work just fine for most folks (except gunwriters, who can't kill deer with .30-30's, either... :lol: )

Here's what our 'home-defense shotguns' were for years, we're going to sell them shortly. The Sentinel Arms "Striker" is evidently so 'destructive' it is considered an 'NFA' weapon, even though they're basically huge 12-gauge double-action revolvers. There were 'copies' some other outfit made called 'Streetsweepers' but those were poorly made and unreliable.
Image Image
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

[quote="Rifleman336"]I fired a .30-06 with a Boss muzzle break, it work and worked well, it droped the recoil to arond a lite .30-30. But the noise level went way up.

Then there was a gentle man that went to fire his Barrett .50 cal next to my shooting station. After the noise was too much to bear, I went to change my shooting spot about four spots down. Unfourtunately, I had to cross behind him a couple times the one time I was directly behind him and I felt nothing. another time I was directly 45 degrees, when he squeezed of another. :o It was like a hammer hit my shoulder!! The same style break as used on that mossburg.

And you'll be alot closer if using that pistol gripped shotgun. So it doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

Rifleman 336[/quote]
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

That Striker looks wicked! Wonder how it'd do fer skirrels???
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

How about a Benelli M3 Super 90 with a back bored muzzle and laser mag cap? It should take care of the pucker factor and not kill your ears.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I think he was asking if you ever tried one. :wink:

Actually that style break is getting more and more common on USPSA Open class shotguns, they put them mid barrel or 3/4 of the way down the barrel on Saiga based race guns.

I won't try and argue that it doesn't look silly on that Mossberg, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Slow is just slow.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

AJMD429 wrote:
That muzzle brake would certainly be the kind of thing to make an intruder load his pants, even if it were on a .22 LR gun.
You asked for it :shock:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... splay=desc
Break on through to the other side!!!
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

50 BMG for home defence, little over gunned I think. Think of the repair costs if you miss, as well as the cost of hearing aids. Very interesting article in this months Australian shooter journal on a 50 BMG being put through its paces, they are not freely available to us citizens of Australia though. Think I will stickwith the trusted 357 mag. Dont need to take someone out at 2500 metres, thats beyond my fence boundary, my longest boundary fence is only 600 metres.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

cas wrote:I think he was asking if you ever tried one. :wink:

Sometimes, no answer,.... is an answer. 8)
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

All I'm going to say is I don't want to be blinded by a gun's shot flash in my own house while trying to defend my family from more than one intruder.
"That'll Be The Day"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

like foghorn leghorn would say, IT'S A JOKE SON. :wink:

i got it, jdad. thanks
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

pokey wrote:like foghorn leghorn would say, IT'S A JOKE SON. :wink:

i got it, jdad. thanks
Thank goodness someone did. :wink: