OT Prison stores

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

OT Prison stores

Post by dr walker »

Outside of Florence, AZ there is a prison store. It sells arts and crafts made by the prisoners of the near by penitentiary. This was 10-15 years ago. I bought some carved leather goods, including a beautifully carved shotgun case. It was stolen out of my truck a few years ago. They also sold bumper stickes and t-shirts, but the real treasures were the art pieces.

Are there prison stores near you or are there any others you know about?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Prison stores

Post by rangerider7 »

Huntsville, Texas "The Wall" has one.
"That'll Be The Day"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

"La Cuarenta" over on Carrera 8 has one, right down on the avenue in a tent. The jail in Ibagué does too.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

Sorry, but they don't do it in my prison anymore. It was stopped years ago due to some knuckleheads misusing the tools.
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There were some lifers at Ft Leavenworth Disciplinary Barracks that made wonderful early American furniture. They were back ordered for years, and famous high ranking officers always seemed to have dibs.....I saw the showroom: Ethan Allen eat your heart out.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

wish the folks at deerlodge, mt. still made that nice
horse hair hitched stuff. it was beautiful, now it's
expensive.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

pokey wrote:wish the folks at deerlodge, mt. still made that nice
horse hair hitched stuff. it was beautiful, now it's
expensive.
I agree. Wish they still made spurs, bits, braiding and all the other accoutrements.
Old Law Dawg
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

A number of the Texas prison units have craft shops. Some make saddles. Most make belts, holsters, etc. The Walls Unit in Huntsville (as mentioned above) and Eastham Unit in Lovelady are two that readily come to mind, but many more units have craft shops. I have seen some beautiful hand-tooled belts with ornate metal buckles come out of Eastham Unit.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Thanks for all the replies. I am glad to hear many are still operating. I will have to look into it in my area.

Blaine- Interesting about the furniture made there. I have seen some small cast pieces that have come out of there as well.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

dr walker wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I am glad to hear many are still operating. I will have to look into it in my area.

Blaine- Interesting about the furniture made there. I have seen some small cast pieces that have come out of there as well.
The Barracks was a different kind of place back in the day. A full working dairy farm, truck farm in season, they sacked groceries at the Commisary, ran a barber shop ( .25 cent haircut ) and took care of the grounds. If ya didn't have a job or ya couldn't be trusted, it was the lockup for you most of the day.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
35 Remmy
Levergunner

Post by 35 Remmy »

I have been to the prison store in Florence Arizona. Neat little store. I ALWAYS buy something at the store. Last spring I bought a small bird house made out of a license plate, looks good. I have seen prices raise substantially over the years. I have been going to that store in Florence AZ for the last 5+ years. I will be heading that way in a few weeks. I will be sure to stop in. I will check out the leather goods.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Used to go in the one at Folsom Prison when we lived in CA. Lots of neat art work.

They had a museum too, full of things they took off of prisoners. One I remember was a diving suit/helmet made from raincoats. Seems a prisoner working on the dam made it. Had a hose with float attached. He was going to jump in the water and wait until they left then escape. Problem was the water was deeper than the hose was long, if I remember they found him 2 days later, he had filled his pockets with rocks to stay down.

Don