What varmint scope do you recommend?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

What varmint scope do you recommend?

Post by mod71alaska »

I had a post up the other day asking for an explanation of the range finding reticle of a USA made Redfield 3x9 scope that came on a pre-Garcia Sako Vixen .223 rifle I recently bought. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21724 You guys came through as always! Thanks! :D

Mescalero1 suggested selling the scope and buying a quality fixed power. I responded that all my hunting rifles carry Leupold scopes but right now I didn't have the extra funds for a Leupold scope for the Sako. However, I was going through a saved rifle shipping box yesterday and couldn't believe it....there was another USA made Redfield variable power scope in the box that I had forgotten to take out! It was the shipping box a Sako .308 (leveraction) Finnwolf came in and I remember how excited I was. I forgot all about the scope! :lol:

I have two USA made Redfield variable scopes now: a 3x9 Rangefinder and a 2x7 Lo-Pro. I'm thinking I will sell the 2 Redfield scopes, along with 2 Simmons and Tasco scopes that came on 9422's I purchased and a nib fancy grade walnut stock set I have for a Henry Big Boy .22, and buy a Varmint scope for the Sako .223.

So, here are my questions: What varmint scope should I get? What power do I need for shooting prairie dogs out West? Fixed or variable power? Thanks for sharing your scope knowledge for prairie dog shooting, guys! Victor

Here's a photo of my pre-Garcia Sako Vixen .223 scoped with the 3x9 Redfield now on my mantle alone with an early 9422. Both are 99% plus condition.

Last edited by mod71alaska on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: What varmint scope do you recommend?

Post by JB »

Unless the rifle is a dedicated target rifle for shooting at a fixed distance, I'd go variable all the way. I also wouldn't buy anything without an adjustable objective. although I own a couple scopes up in the 20 and 30X range, I've found I don't really need anything over 14 or 15X for any kind of varmint hunting I do with a .223. My favorites are Leupolds or the Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200's. The Elites are excellent quality, lifetime warranty, and they won't break the bank. One of my favorite rifles, a Tikka .308, is mounted with an Elite 3200 5-15x50mm that I use for everything groundhogs and coyotes to whitetail deer.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I recommend a good fixed power.
I have a Micro Trac K-12 Weaver in Phoenix ( going tommorow, back tuesday ) because you are a member here,
I will trade for a Weaver Micro Trac 6x or 8x for my .257 Roberts.
If this is not your cup of tea, search for a good high power fixed power scope with an adjustable objective. You can pm me for tricks on shooting the higher powered scopes.
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

I use the Leupold and Nikon Monarch scopes. Used to be Nikon couldn't be trusted on their warranty support but that's supposed to have changed. I haven't had any warranty issues with the Nikons so I don't know how good their warranty support it. I do know Leupold's is second to none. The Monarch optics are excellent, too.

I would suggest at least 12X. I've found that there can be a lot of heat wave distortion when using powers above about 14X but I've used scopes up to 20X, too. I don't think I've had much of a problem with 12X. I almost always use a variable power...so, that's what I'd suggest.

I'd try and stick with click adjust models with AO's. From a value standpoint, the Nikon Monarchs (4-12 or 3-12) can be found, on occassion, for $200 or so. The Leupolds will probably start at $250, if you get lucky, and probably run more like $300-$325. You'll have to be patient to find them at the lower price range. You might find a Leupold VX-II in 6-18 for around $300 too.

If you opt for fixed power, the Leupold fixed 12X with AO is good. Some of them have click adjustments but I think most are friction. I think you can find those for around $200 but most are priced higher.

That's my $.02's worth.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have two 'varmint' scopes both Tasco I believe. (Sorry, my watch is a Timex, too :oops: ...but it works fine :lol: )

One is 10-40x and resides on a .223 sufficiently accurate to justify the high end magnification, yet I can stand and shoot at 10x if I have to.

The other is 5-20x and resides on a still-accurate but slightly less so rifle, and still has enough power to see 'out there' yet is way easy to shoot at 5x from any field position.

Neither scope has been dropped in a river or on an Alaskan bear hunt, but both have been plenty good for what I've used them for. I don't "re-zero" all the time for windage and elevation changes due to range and conditions though - I just learn holdover as needed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've never been prairie doggin but for predators around here I wouldn't have anything but a variable on my 22-250. Low power for callin and crank er up for spotin critters in fields. But if we get much above 10X we have issues with heat wave's distorting the veiw so i've settled on 4-16x for my scopes. I have no problem reaching out and touching a fox beyond 300 yards.

LK
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I've used a 6.5x20 Simmons 44 Mag on a Ruger 223 varmint rifle a lot. It was a surprising good scope for the money. I also have a 4-12 Burris compact that was on a Sako 221 Fireball that was good, but I don't think Burris makes that one anymore.
A rifle builder in my area used to summer out west and he really liked the fixed Leupold 12x scopes.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Weaver K-10 fixed power with adjustable paralax (sp?) on my
Sako .222Rem.
A deadlier combination I've never come across.

Dead woodchucks out to 450 yds.!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

What size varmint? What distance?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

2ndovc,
You are on the path to true enlightenment.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

On prairie dogs out here I use a Weaver T15 on a .223 and a Redfield Golden Five Star 6x18 on a 25.06.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

mescalero1 wrote:2ndovc,
You are on the path to true enlightenment.
:D

I'd like to find another.

My other favorite little scope is an old Weaver K4.
That one seems to have a hard time finding a home.
My Grandfather gave it to me to put on the Ex's BLR
and when she split ( and took the Browning with her).
I took the scope back before the Ice Queen could get to it.
It's been bouncing from one project gun to the next.

I think I need to go find it a permanent home. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My Ice Queen got away with a mint, perfect, S&W Model 51 .22 magnum,
still PO'd about that!