So are you tired of the new guy wth questions yet? :)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
polardaddy
Levergunner

So are you tired of the new guy wth questions yet? :)

Post by polardaddy »

Ok by now you all have figured out this is a completely new area for me, you want to talk about sigs or 1911's I can help ya out, single action pistols I am at your mercy :oops: .

Is there a benifit to the "birdhead" style vs regular handle? I have found them periodically on gunbroker, but have not had one in my hand to feel the difference between the two.
thanks again :mrgreen:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: So are you tired of the new guy wth questions yet? :)

Post by 44shooter »

It is all personal preference. Birdshead grips feels more like slim double action grips to me. They are smaller than "plowhandle" grips and don't really allow the revolver to roll with the recoil like the original style.

I know it sounds like I'm running down the birdshead, but I actually like them as my hands are not big. In auto terms, my hands are more comfortable with single stacks than double stacks, the Browning HP being an exception. I can get all my fingers on the grips on some really small pistols like the Firestar and the Kahr (not the micro).

The birdshead is probably not a good choice for heavy recoil like 41 magnum and above. IMO neither is the plowhandle if you are going to shoot much. Should be OK for 357 magnum and big bore rounds up to 45 Colt in the 700-1000 fps range as is the plowhandle.

You need to handle both styles and perhaps the Bisley style at a gun show or store. Revolver grips are a personal matter much like holsters. What looks good may not be comfortable. What works for me may be dreadful to you.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I personally don't like the feel of the birdshead grips. But then again, i don't like the Bisley grip either.

For me the old plowhandle grip fits my hand perfectly and I prefer it over all others.

Bear in mind, this si strictly my personal opinion and applies only to me. Lots of folks like both the Bisley and the birdhead styles. My suggestion it to try one before you buy it, at least get a feel for the thing. Who knows, you might like it better than the old plowhandle, or you might dislike the feel even more than I do.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hey Polardaddy,
It's easier to answer a stupid question than it is to fix a stupid mistake. Don't worry about it... we've all been there.

I might be odd man out in that I don't like the SA plowhandle grips. A Bisley grip fits me just fine. I was raised with S&W DA revolvers so I like what feels close to that. The only SA I ever had that I could shoot worth a darn was a Bisley Vaquero, should have never gotten rid of that one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great responses already. It is truly a personal preference and like modern pistols (sigs and colts etc.) you really need to have one in your hand, and, if possible, to shoot it before you make a decision. Recently, I thought I wanted a certain pistol, thinking it would be a really nice revolver but didn't follow my advice and purchased it without ever having one in my hand. Turned out, I was really disappointed. For me, the plowhandle grip is one of the best feeling grips in my hand. The birds head looks kewl, but does not fit well for me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Never tired of 'new guy with questions' - they keep us on-topic (for the most part) and enable us 'old guys' who don't know anything to avoid the embarrassment of asking the same question(s) ourselves... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

polardaddy wrote:So are you tired of the new guy wth questions yet?
If they were, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101 wrote:
polardaddy wrote:So are you tired of the new guy wth questions yet?
If they were, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have... :lol:
Ditto. Weekly I'm asking a "new guy question"!

I love the ol' plowhandle grip - simply fits my hand best. That being said, for a small SAA that one might consider using for concealed carry, the birdshead grip is a bit smaller so works well in that application.

Good luck! Keep us posted!!! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

polardaddy,

Ask any questions you need to. We don't mind.

As far as the birdshead grip the only benefit I can think of is it's smaller and that might make it easier to carry concealed.

I've handled the Ruger version and those with the hump at the top of the grip as made by Uberti and others. Haven't had a chance to shoot any yet. Neither agreed with my hands. The Ruger one just didn't feel like I had anything to hang on to. Not enough to properly control the pistol.

The Uberti versions with the hump were about same but the hump added a "stop" that would have prevented the gun from rolling in the hand.

So I stick with the standard SAA grip style.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Bisley is best for me in 44mag and up. Birdshead ,.... I believe,.... are primarily a grip for a gentleman's vest or belt type hide away piece. I believe they are really nice on 38spl (out of 357mags) and especially nice in 32 HRmag calibers. I have never shot one in 44mag,... but have always wanted too.

just one man's opinion :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Kinda what Doc Hudson said........

"Birds-head" grips don't fit well, with my deeply-ingrained shooting style. I prefer the regular, old, "plow-handle" grip configuration. The "Bisley-style" grip points the gun too low for my satisfaction; I always have to make both a mental and physical adjustment, in order to get the best out of any revolver so-equipped. They seem to naturally fit DA shooters, and those new-fangled dudes who grew up with a 1911 Colt in their fists.

A friend of mine just bought himself the ultimate "how come?" revolver...: a Ruger Vaquero with a 7 1/2" barrel, and birds-head grip frame. The old boy he got it from had it put together as a companion piece for hunting. I can only imagine that the long barrel, combined with the birds-head grip, makes for a nightmare of unbalanced handling...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

double hit
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Buck Elliott wrote:Kinda what Doc Hudson said........

"Birds-head" grips don't fit well, with my deeply-ingrained shooting style. I prefer the regular, old, "plow-handle" grip configuration. The "Bisley-style" grip points the gun too low for my satisfaction; I always have to make both a mental and physical adjustment, in order to get the best out of any revolver so-equipped. They seem to naturally fit DA shooters, and those new-fangled dudes who grew up with a 1911 Colt in their fists.

A friend of mine just bought himself the ultimate "how come?" revolver...: a Ruger Vaquero with a 7 1/2" barrel, and birds-head grip frame. The old boy he got it from had it put together as a companion piece for hunting. I can only imagine that the long barrel, combined with the birds-head grip, makes for a nightmare of unbalanced handling...

If it's a 44 and he is close to Az.,... and loses interest, please let me know! :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

And I prefer the grooved grips.....Turns out, I don't mind recoil, but that snap and sting gets me a bit.... The exception seems to be that 4 5/8th SBH I got here from a formite.....absolutely perfect the way it came with heavy loads. I love the shorty bbls......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV