Photos of an old Winchester Model 1876

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Photos of an old Winchester Model 1876

Post by KirkD »

It is a beautiful fall day today, the kind that calls to you to come outdoors for a while and wander around with an old levergun. I still don't have a decent camera yet, but grabbed an old, half working camera that has such a low megapixel count, I don't even want to say the number. I walked into my office and opposite me, on the wall, my old Winchester Model 1876 .45-60 was just begging to be taken out to savour the clear fall air and listen to the crunch of golden leaves underfoot. According to the records at Cody, this old rifle was checked into the Winchester warehouse on May 13, 1886 and shipped September 21, 1886. The old timer is a tack driver, putting five shots into a 1 & 3/4 inch group at 100 yards with plain base cast bullets. If it weren't for the fact that I'll be writing an article later this winter on hunting with the Winchester Model 53 and, therefore, need to use my Model 53 44 WCF for deer, I'd be taking this old '76. Be that as it may, it is on deck for hunting next year. I didn't put much time into these photos since I don't have a decent camera (so I apologize for besmirching my 'desktop artiste' title .... I keep blowing my money on guns and shooting supplies), but I figured some of you fellows might enjoy a few photos anyway, so here they are .....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Photos of an old Winchester Model 1876

Post by Old Savage »

Amazing - great pics!

The quality of the pics perfectly compliment the impression this great old gun gives in looking at it. You may try it on higher quality with a better camera but I wager something will be lost and something will be gained. I like these. Takes me back to country that is not here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

It's in great condition. How long have you had it?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks, Kirk. Beautiful rifle and great pics.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Gun Smith wrote:It's in great condition. How long have you had it?
I've had it since early May of this year. Prior to that it was in a collection that a friend of mine had, and I think he got it from another fellow who had it in his collection. A few years ago I had another '76 in .45-60 and I sold it. I sure missed it. I'm glad to have finally gotten another one.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Kirk just leave it leaning against the tree and I'll pick it up, a golden oldie for sure !!! the gun not you, your only a young bloke like the rest of us on here.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

winchester1886 wrote:Kirk just leave it leaning against the tree and I'll pick it up, a golden oldie for sure !!! the gun not you, your only a young bloke like the rest of us on here.
Well, if you plan to be close enough to pick it up, you might as well just cross our back yards and come in for a coffee!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice as always. can almost feel the autmun and smell the freshness.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

KirkD, you are an artist, and the camera is your brush! Bless you.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice pictures Kirk :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Photos like that can make a guy want to do some shopping Kirk. Very nice post to share.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Dang! It looks like our family farm,up in Northern Missouri! :D Without your rifle. of course.... :)

Beautiful country we live in!

Thanks!
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Kirk, You got anything in a horizontal format for a desk top pic? Nice rifle! Lucky you! :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

brucew44guns wrote:Photos like that can make a guy want to do some shopping Kirk. Very nice post to share.
Boys, for those of you without at least one old levergun from the 1800's, you really need to go shopping. Sell a couple modern guns if you have to, it will be worth it. It just changes everything when you go hunting with a 123-year old Winchester. You think of all the old timers, now long dead and gone, who once shot that very rifle. You think of more than a century of autumn mornings deer hunting. You think of the day when some fellow back in 1886 walked into a store somewhere, and bought that very levergun spanking new. You think of all the hunt camps back at the turn of the 1900's that the rifle has sat in late at night as the men sat around the campfire and swapped stories. You think of the horses and buggies that rifle has seen. Then you raise it to your shoulder and sight down that barrel and experience the winds of history blowing through your mind. There is just nothing like it. Sell a couple modern guns and go shopping. I do not think you will ever regret it. Just one old gun, you can keep the rest of your modern ones. Just one old levergun.

Chuck, PM me your email addy and I'll send you a hi-res one in horizontal format. It won't likely be until late tomorrow though. Come Monday morning I'm hitting the ground running. Playtime is over.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

My kind of lever, just the right amount of ware. Great photos!
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

WOW! Just when you think you've seen the best photos possible of classic leverguns, Kirk goes and out-does himself again!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

[quote="KirkD"] grabbed an old, half working camera , but I figured some of you fellows might enjoy a few photos anyway, so here they are .....

how humble, how shy. :lol:

boy, i wish i could take pictures like you can.

thanks
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great photos Kirk and yes I really must get me a real old levergun someday soon.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

What a beauty! Great pic and looks like a glorious day.

:mrgreen:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Much as I love my '73, '92 & '86 -- a '76 Rifle lways looks like it's ready to do BUSINESS...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Those pics are fantastic Kirk, a bueatifull moment, thanks :D

Did you take a shot with the ole' girl? Or just savour the silence?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I didn't take a shot. It was just good enough to walk around outside with it on a beautiful fall day. I noticed the new family that just moved into the farm next to us last week was out for a walk in their field near the river, so I didn't want to cause them concern with a rifle shot.