O.T. Travel in Canada

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

O.T. Travel in Canada

Post by .45colt »

Hello All, I have been very lucky to have been invited to a privately owned Camp in Ontario Canada for more than 35 years. I am not always able to attend the "Fall Fishing Trip" but this year as Luck would have it I and the Boys were able to go. Most years as work schedules go we cross the border sometime in the early morning hours. After a week in camp fishing for Muskellunge and Small mouth bass, We regrettyfully left for home Friday morning.
A few years ago one of My Sisters gave Me a radar-detector for a birthday present and it has been in the Jeep ever since. near Peterborough I was pulled over by a very stern officer of the O.P.P. not for speeding but because of the "DEVICE" as He called it.I told Him I had no idea it was illegal. He confiscated MY property telling Me it was clearly marked at the"borders". I asked Him why didn't Canadian Customs tell Me as they looked right at it? I would have surrendered it at the border.
Soon He returned from His truck and presented Me with a ticket for $170.00 US currency. :shock: :shock:. I soon was battling traffic in Toronto watching traffic pass us for hours at 70 to 90 mph. What a crock. Thanks O.P.P.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Re: O.T. Travel in Canada

Post by DBW »

The O.P.P. is filled with asshats. Just about every cop I've encountered in Canada is a dick. My neighbor in Sudbury, a retired RCMP officer from the old school relates tale after tale about the asshattery of the O.P.P. and the Sudbury police department. He's even disgusted with the RCMP these days as they've become a shadow of a once proud organization.

When I left Canada I never imagined the US would one day transform into Canada, a nation filled with neutered males and individual rights don't exist.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I will look for the signage you spoke of my next trip. Where did you cross into Canady? I travel there for business quite often.

TomF
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Tom, We crossed in Buffalo/Peace Bridge. there may be a sign there but I have never seen it, looking for I.D and passports. "The Proud Officer" :twisted: said it was illegal to even have in a car so if it was found in a search one would still be fined in use or not. It is a law OK, I can understand it.but to confiscate the unit and the hefty fine is ridiculous. A warning would be enough.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've got quite a few relatives that live in just about every province....never had any issues, probably less so as the local and provinicial police generally offer an explanation. From my experience here, that generally does not happen in the states. By the way, radar detectors have been illegal in Ontario since the '80's when they signed a reciprocity agreement with a few states as part the IFTA. Illinois forced the issue at the time(it is illegal to have one in your vehicle on a state highway in Illinois, I believe NY also).
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

"Fuzz Busters" are legal in the US in PRIVATE passenger vehicles except in VA and DC, and on military bases. NY and several other states ban "affixing items to windshields", so ya gotta use a visor clip or dash mount to be strictly in compliance.

MOST states ban use in commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs.

Wikipediea offers advice that several Canadian provinces will confiscate and levy hefty fines, for POSSESSION, in use or not.
Certified gun nut
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

In the interest of improving the OPP detachment this Officer works at; I would phone his boss and have a little chat. I would bet dollars to donuts it will result in some coaching. :|
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

adirondakjack wrote:"Fuzz Busters" are legal in the US in PRIVATE passenger vehicles except in VA and DC, and on military bases. NY and several other states ban "affixing items to windshields", so ya gotta use a visor clip or dash mount to be strictly in compliance.

MOST states ban use in commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs.

Wikipediea offers advice that several Canadian provinces will confiscate and levy hefty fines, for POSSESSION, in use or not.
MOST states east of the Mississippi do in commercial vehicles, but most west of the Mississipi do not ban them from commercial use. Before NAFTA, Canada (most provinices) and quite a few states signed up for IFTA pertaining to commercial vehicles primarily for the purpose of fuel tax reporting and tax allocation. One of the addendums pertained to individual agreements, was to a united front for enforcment of mutual safety goals, that is where this "anti" fuzz busters started in commercial vehicles. These were in most instances lobbied by insurance carriers to create avenues for increased revenue through supposed increased risk by "law" breakers. Hence more laws to be broken. Some states and provinces saw what this was really about and did not follow the addendums as they added not one whit to what IFTA was all about.

Oh yea, it was on vehicles over 26,001# only, originally. This is the same period which started the CDL too.