336c jamming

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RPJR
Levergunner

336c jamming

Post by RPJR »

I have a Marlin 336C in .35 Rem. that jams when I cock the lever to chamber a round. It seems the next cartridge tries to come with the one to be chambered. I have to take a small screw driver and push it back into the magazine. Has anyone else had this problem? I bought the gun new from a dealer on Gunbroker.com. Is this a job for a pro, or is there something I might could do myself?
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Re: 336c jamming

Post by dave in maine »

try the marlin owners site i'm sure you'll find the answere to your problem.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

RPJR
Welcome to leverguns. Make sure the screw that holds the loading gate is tight. Might be a good idea to tighten all the screws in the action. Use a good screwdriver that fit's screws correctly. Good luck.
Karl
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

marlin shooter wrote:RPJR
Welcome to leverguns. Make sure the screw that holds the loading gate is tight. Might be a good idea to tighten all the screws in the action. Use a good screwdriver that fit's screws correctly. Good luck.
Karl
Try that first and if it doesn't work report back. However, don't run once it works, tell us about your adventures with that gun! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RPJR
Levergunner

Post by RPJR »

Thankyou all for your help.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If they are reloads, it could be an overall-length thing. That's happened with the 1894's, and I suppose could with the 336's.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

How old is the gun?

Sounds like a lifter issue. The lifter also acts as a tube cut off to prevent a second round from entering the reciever & jamming up the works. As you open the lever before the first one entirely clears the tube the lifter should come up just enough to block the base of the next one from entering. There is a small cam surface on the lever that acts on the bottom of the lifter to do this. Sometimes, much more often with the 1894's but it can happen with a 336, there is enough wear that the lifter sits too low & lets in two.
If thats whats going on most times a new lifter fix's it up.

Cartrige length shouldn't matter in any Marlin centerfire as far as feeding from the tube. If it does theres something else wrong.
Getting a short one into the chamber however is another matter. :wink:
RPJR
Levergunner

Post by RPJR »

The gun is new, so I don't think there should be a worn part in it. Using factory ammo also. All the screws seem to be good and tight.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

RPJR wrote:The gun is new, so I don't think there should be a worn part in it. Using factory ammo also. All the screws seem to be good and tight.

Could be an incorrect lifter. I dont think its a loose screw. The loading gate will jam up the works if its loose but not like you describe. I believe, but can be wrong, that the 35 uses a different lifter than a 30/30 because of its being smaller at the base & rimless. At any rate a new gun should work. I'd call Marlin & see what they have to say.