OT: HUNTING IN THE RAIN

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

OT: HUNTING IN THE RAIN

Post by 1988rrc »

What is the best way to keep rain from running into your boots? I don't mind getting wet, but wet socks & feet???
Given, no rain suits allowed, still need to have camo cloths.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: HUNTING IN THE RAIN

Post by TedH »

They make camo rain gear. Not cheap, but anything worth having is usually going to cost you. I consider a good set of camo rain gear a one time expense that's kind of hard to swallow, but the first time you're sitting out in the cold rain for a couple hours and are dry underneath, you'll be soooo glad you did it.
NRA Life Member
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have put small trash bags over my socks and rapped the top with duct tape. It works pretty good.
"That'll Be The Day"
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I use a pair of the Army issue Gore-tex pants and they work fine. Waterproof gaiters might work for you,never tried 'em myself.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1) Wear pants leg/cuff OUTSIDE the boots. :shock:

2) Wear GoreTex/raingear UNDERNEATH the camo clothing. :roll:

3) Hunt either from a camo tent/blind, or from under a camo umbrella attached to the tree you sit against.

4) Keep yore powder dry. ;) :mrgreen:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

who needs camo gear to hunt? I've shot deer wearing full helly hanson gear, they didn't seem to be offended. In fact the squeaking suspender snap once called a large doe right up to me...

and Yeah, keep the rain gear OUTSIDE the boots...

Grizz
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I smear a generous supply of Rain-X around the top of my boots.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

If you wear leather boots. Grease them up. There are several boot greases on the market.

I worked in the Oregon woods for 30 years, rain, snow or sunshine, in leather boots. hand rub the grease in, apply with a tooth brush around all the seems. put them by the heater . let the grease soak in and grease them again. You will need to do this every , or every other day as needed. I paid up to $400 for leather boots I had to take care of them. They will last years and years.

Just my $.02

If you wear those new fangled nylon/gor-tex/leather boots then some kind of spray is all that I know of.

8)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I wear a pair of North Face gortex bib pants that go over my rubber boots if it is raining, and a North Face gortex jacket up top.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Here are the issues I ran into this opening weekend of primitive hunting.

We hunt in Middle-South Georgia; need to wear snake boots (plenty of rattlers); weather was chance of rain, 85+ degree temperature, and very high humidity; need to dress light due to heat and humidity.

While sitting in the tree stand, the rain came up so fast I barely had time to get my poncho out and on. I was not able to unhook my safety belt to lower the poncho over my back side as I was holding my back pack and Hawkins under the poncho (powder kept dry). I stayed fairly dry except for the water in my boots.

I have used goretex booties before but they are not comfortable and wanted away to keep the water out. The rain did not come thru the boots, it came in the top.

I wondered if gaiters would work any better as they are light and easy to use. Anyone have experience with them?

When the weather cools down, I always carry a rain suite with a chance of rain.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Seal skin socks! Pretty sure Cabela's still sells them.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have run all over Georgia (so it seemed at least) sans snake boots. While I understand the desire to wear them, I wonder at the NEED for them. However, I was wearing boots, US Army issue. I have waded rivers and it doesn't seem that the water comes in the top... Just sayin'. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yeah, Hobie - but wuz ya wading while walkin' on yer hands ? ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I hate hunting in the rain. But if I have to, over the years I've gotten away with one of those cheap 1 or 2 dollar rain suits over my pants but under my outer camo pants. With just a little care, they can last for many hunts. You just have to have them outside your boots.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there 1988rrc - Washington state has a well deserved reputation for being wet, especially during hunting season(s). I've worn a pair of Beans upland game type chaps for wildrose and other nasty vegetation protection for 30+ years. Wearing them outside the boots has also kept me dry through tall wet grass, snow and rain. They should work reasonably well as fang armor too. I don't own anything in camo so I have never paid any attention to whether they are available in camo patterns or not. Hope this helps. Best regards, Wind
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have to hunt in the rain often.
If I'm in boots and expecting light rain I will simply ware the pants over the top of the boot instead of tucking them in my socks.
My boots are protected with the same stuff I use for black powder lube/olive oil and a bees wax mix.
I sometimes use canvas gaiters but find them a fiddle to put on but somehow enjoy them in heavy frosts or light snow conditions.
I also use waxed cotton chaps in heavy rain over boots or rubber boots with a longish coat and stay dry.
Pure wool socks do make all the difference should your feet get wet, they will stay warm and comfy still.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/h ... x?a=575887

$22 and packs small so you can just keep it in your pack.

The legs go over your boots....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If its just mostly when you are sitting like in your previous problem,Take a black Hefty Leaf bag and cut a couple say 1 X 2 foot pieces when it rains pull em out
either use the velcro wraps/string/whatever to tightly wrap 3 or 4 times around the top section of snake boots and other half tightly around pants.It will at least keep out 95% of it.If you are real smell fusy let the bag air out outside a month or so. I always carry at least 3 of those bags anyway(they have came in real handy)usually 1 black/2 clear. If you are using them over your orange clothes use clear.Last year first day out,they did not call for rain somehow the weatherman really missed that one.It poured from 7am till about 11am.No one had their rainsuits on and came to the house and just waited a while.
Except me,I got under a Huge Hemlock took 1 of the bags(I had clear)sat on it Indian pow-wow style :lol: then punched as small holes as possible for my head and arms.By doing that and I always wear a Gortex (Ted Nygent style hat)I actually kept pretty decent didnt come back to the house and blasted a 11 point at 9am :wink:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I agree with Hobie. With the older all-leather combat boots, BDUs tucked into them and double-knotted, I've waded streams up to waist deep and no water got in, many times.

I've been out in pouring (monsoon level) rainstorms with nothing but a Goretex jacket on, and if there was time, the pants. Feet stayed dry.

See if someone's selling the ECWS (military) Gore-tex tops and bottoms, they WILL keep you dry. Not always happy, but reasonably dry. Be advised they don't do much for cold. On a side note the Goretex upper stops sandstorms pretty well as long as your face is sealed up and it's zipped up (see my pic in the Faces post). The newer Goretex boots do well also.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

MrMurphy wrote:I agree with Hobie. With the older all-leather combat boots, BDUs tucked into them and double-knotted, I've waded streams up to waist deep and no water got in, many times.

I've been out in pouring (monsoon level) rainstorms with nothing but a Goretex jacket on, and if there was time, the pants. Feet stayed dry.

See if someone's selling the ECWS (military) Gore-tex tops and bottoms, they WILL keep you dry. Not always happy, but reasonably dry. Be advised they don't do much for cold. On a side note the Goretex upper stops sandstorms pretty well as long as your face is sealed up and it's zipped up (see my pic in the Faces post). The newer Goretex boots do well also.
The ECWS gear comes in two colors of Camo (surplus) and with Gore-tex Gaiters for use in snow on skis. I have used the stuff from Alaska to Northern Iraq and Afghanistan. With different layers under it was actually comfortable (we didn't sit still much).
A lot of it in the surplus stores now as DOD changes camo patterns about every 3 years.
It is not the critic who counts
Senior Levergunner

Re: Why do you have to be comfortable when hunting?

Post by 2571 »

Being wet, cold, hot, itchy, hungry,tired, thirsty is just part of the sport. Discomfort makes for a better story when successful.

Man up. :>)