130 gr. FMJ .38 Special Ammo, why the popularity?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

130 gr. FMJ .38 Special Ammo, why the popularity?

Post by Hobie »

Why is this stuff apparently so popular? Developed for the Army and issued right up to today, it supposedly pushes the 130 gr. RN FMJ bullet at about 750 fps. I've always thought it was miserable stuff. I've seen reports of velocities as low as 630 fps.

Now that 130 gr. FP FMJ, where do you get it? All I've seen was RN. We did get some 158 gr. FP FMJ...

I know we sell a lot of it and I see it at Walmart in the 100 round "value" packs because it is cheap. For some that appears to be THE draw.

I noticed also that we've had 4-5 inquiries as to its use in the 1894C. Seems safe enough to me. It doesn't generate enough recoil to do anything.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 130 gr. FMJ .38 Special Ammo, why the popularity?

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Hobie wrote:Why is this stuff apparently so popular? . . .
Beets me.

I've fired some, but it doesn't seem to have sufficient oomph. I'd take 158 LRN over the 130 gr any day.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Reach into your memory and review lower FPS and Meplate.......I"ve shot several hundred of them and they are very accurate and hit at POI with my older J Frame 36-1. Besides, at self defense range, how bad can they possibly (or you possibly) shoot? But, I guess if you need to compensate, somehow....... :lol:
I'd take 158 LRN over the 130 gr any day.
I honestly believe you would be doing yourself a disservice. LE gave up on RN decades ago. If one MUST depend on a special, this ain't bad stuff and will penetrate better than the JHP stuff.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Hobie wrote:Why is this stuff apparently so popular? Developed for the Army and issued right up to today, it supposedly pushes the 130 gr. RN FMJ bullet at about 750 fps. I've always thought it was miserable stuff. I've seen reports of velocities as low as 630 fps.

Now that 130 gr. FP FMJ, where do you get it? All I've seen was RN. We did get some 158 gr. FP FMJ...

I know we sell a lot of it and I see it at Walmart in the 100 round "value" packs because it is cheap. For some that appears to be THE draw.

I noticed also that we've had 4-5 inquiries as to its use in the 1894C. Seems safe enough to me. It doesn't generate enough recoil to do anything.
I think it's popular because you can find a .38 Special in almost every gunshop, at every gun show, and almost anyone you know has one (including your granny.) People are stocking up for fear (I'll stop short of the politics). I noticed the scarce and expensive ammo in stores is .380, .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I was surprised to find .380 ACP was scarce. I have the same questions about it as you do about .38 Special. Why use it if you can get the same size gun in a 9mm?

I'll be glad when every feels like the are sufficiently "stocked up" so i can stock up......
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Saltcreek
Levergunner

Post by Saltcreek »

I bought 6 of the 100 round 130 gr FP Winchester White box cause I needed more 38 brass and it hits very close to the same POI as the 135gr Gold dot in my 638 for practice. Our range does not allow all-lead reloads and WWB was cheap.
Help your own self, the Government is to busy savin' thierselves.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Hobie,
We had no choice in the AF SPs, it was what we were issued with the Smiths back in the 70s.
Those of us who knew anything at all had very little confidence in it.

It's a mystery to me why anybody would deliberately choose it for defensive uses.
Practice & playing I can see, but nothing else.

Denis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

I've fired it in both 4" .357s and 38s and found the performance, especially the accuracy to be lacking. Blasting ammo for brass is about all it's good for.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

DPris wrote:Hobie,
We had no choice in the AF SPs, it was what we were issued with the Smiths back in the 70s.
Those of us who knew anything at all had very little confidence in it.

It's a mystery to me why anybody would deliberately choose it for defensive uses.
Practice & playing I can see, but nothing else.

Denis
I was always amazed at the ridiculous choice of this caliber. After my 4-year stint in the Army, I volunteered for a while with the Air Force Reserves in the Security Police as a training sergeant; we guarded jets at the Fresno Air Base that protect the West Coast - a real mission. Yet they issued .38's with those popgun rounds. I asked why we had this ammunition, and the unit armorer told me that it was safer to use around the base because it wouldn't penetrate the birds. Odd; because we also carried full auto M-16's with standard military ammo - go figure.

There were no training guidelines issued, at least at the Fresno base at that time, that differentiated as to which weapon to use when confronting an adversary or guarding the base; so the thing about the handguns seemed ludicrous to me. And by the way, we qualified both semi-auto and full auto, in case there is any doubt as to application.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :lol: It's cheap !!!
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

And yet, I've heard some of these same detractors wax poetic about how effective a certain .32 round might be... :P I know I'm at odds on occasion about the effectiveness of certain handgun rounds, but I tend to value the penetration of a solid over the mushroom of a JHP. This is, of course, with mouse rounds, and not a proper defense caliber (which starts at .357 and works it's way up).
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

It does shoot to the same POA as 158s, and is a boon to those personnel who only shoot when qualifying, especially the flight crews using the little aluminum thing guns. I served as a range official at Castle AFB for a time in the 70s, and shot oodles of em (qualified expert with one of the five shot aluminum J frame junkers.) Lemme tell ya what, for an anemic round, out of that light gun with tiny grips, shoot 500 of em in 3 hours and tell me how ya like it. I couldn't close my hand around a pencil for a week. Worst beating I ever took from a gun. But I was the ONLY person in anybody's memory to qualify as expert with one, scoring 150/150, and cutting one hole ya could put an orange in on the "main" target ;)

We used that load for our "in house" shooting at the range because we had access to LOTS of it.
Certified gun nut
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

A while back I saw a picture of an old Victory Model 38 that someone took off a Vietcong who exercised poor victim selection skills by pointing it at him and firing it a couple of times. He was not amused and returned fire. The vc went down and the soldier moved up, picked up the gun, tossed it in his pack and kept on going. Later, at base, he saw that a bullet was stuck in the mouth of the gun. It had been loaded with issue 130 gr. FMJ. He got the gun back to the US later on and there he dissected the barrel, cutting through it down the middle. He found (IIRC) seven or more FMJ 130 bullets lining the barrel from the forcing cone to the muzzle. Since it was a low pressure round it never did blow anything up, but just stacked 'em up tight end to end the full length of the barrel. Sure wish I knew where I stashed the picture of that barrel.

We're stuck with 158 gr RNL down here. At least it's fairly potent. I hope to run some over a chronograph later this week and see what I'm getting for velocity out of my Llama.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It's cheap and it's fun chasing tin cans around the hillside with my Rossi '92.

I bought a case of the stuff a couple years ago for $89.99!
Wish I'd bought more.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"