I paid too much, but oh well... questions re: Marlin 93

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

I paid too much, but oh well... questions re: Marlin 93

Post by cubrock »

I stopped by a pawn shop I occasionally visit at lunch today. They usually don't have anything interesting, but today I got hit at the wrong time with the right gun. I really like older Marlins and at $450 OTD, I just couldn't say no. I figured I'd at least not lose money on it, right?

It appears that I was wrong. I just looked at Marlin 93 auctions from the last 90 days and it appears unless you give them away, no one wants them. It is a shame, as they are really nifty guns. This one has what appear to be replacement Marbles sights. The little sliding blade from the rear sight is missing, but it is still useable. I'd like to replace the blade (hint, hint - if anyone has a spare). I've not owned a .32 Special before.

Interestingly, even though the gun has little finish left and has lots of light pitting here and there, the bore looks pristine. That is what sold me on the gun. Handy, classic, and looks very shootable.

At any rate, I don't exactly have buyer's remorse, but I do wish I'd come home to check prices first....

Can anyone tell me what year it was made? It appears to be in that big gray area for Marlin production. I was guessing early 20s, but I admit I could easily be wrong. SN is C289. No star on tang. No bullseye.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Image[/img]
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Truly a classic! Don't know diddly about prices but I can see why you were bit and couldn't let it go. I don't think what you paid was all that outrageous...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

IMO, I think you did quite well on price. I would have had a difficult time not buying it at that price and I'm too broke to pay attention.

The auction sites have lots of stuff way over priced(or underconditioned). That's the reason they won't sell. That gun started at a buck on AA or GB, by a known seller, would go for $550-650.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

If you like it it aint too much :D
I've bought a few like that and then turned down offers for a profit.
Like they say there's one born every minute. (so theres lots of us out there) :oops:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I would have bought it too. We may pay high prices for these old guns but many of them will never be made again. I think Marlin is missing the boat for not offering the big-bore rifles like the 93 or 36. You could easily restore that rifle to like new or enjoy it as is. Jim.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Nice gun. You did good. The prices for the '93s will eventually get up there. In the meantime you have a very nice shooter. I like the color case hardening.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cubrock,

From what I see, $450 isn't too much. Some TLC and it's good to go.

I know you want to replace the entire rear sight, but you might try calling Marbles for an elevator. I'm sure they would have something that would work.

Joe
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Actually, I don't mind the rear sight. I just want the little sliding metal plate. I emailed Marble's this evening asking if they have something that will work.

Marble's website says that their sights were often factory options on old Marlins, so I suppose the front and rear sight could be factory.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I have one with the star, and absolutly love mine, very accurate, I would not sell mine for 850, let alone 450 so I think you did good.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Darn nice and in way better condition than my 93 in .38-55 was and in today's money I paid way more for it (in 1973). AND it is D&T for receiver sights :?: . Needs a good steel Lyman or Redfield. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cubrock,

The first time I looked at your pics the one of the rear sight didn't show.
After looking it and the front sight over, here's what I think.
The bead has been filed off the front sight leaving a black disc.
The rear sight used to be a Semi Buckhorn or a Full Buckhorn sight that has been filed flat.
The existing elevator is like the one that came on my 2005 vintage 1894 Cowboy Limited.

After seeing that I'd vote to replace both of them with the current versions from Marbles.

Joe
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I bet you are right, J Miller. I just looked at it again and the rear sight does look filed. I just assumed it was a Flat-top sight when I got it.

That would probably explain the missing sight plate.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice rifle ! I have not seen any for sale localy for any price. Only on auction sites or at gun shows and they are allways high priced. You did good. :)
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have never seen a 93 for sale locally, but if I found that gun at that price I'd get it.....especially in .32WS. That is a classic rifle in a great caliber.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great looking rifle and I don't think you did bad. You see them every once in a while around here when some kid decides to sell his Great Grand Dad's rifle for beer and gas money :? Neat history there.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nothin' wrong with that deal. I'd a done the same thing.