OT- Colt Single Action Army

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Colt Single Action Army

Post by 2ndovc »

Along with a lot of others I've wanted a real Colt SAA
since I was a kid.

I had one for a short time while I was in college.
I bought an original Artillery model at an auction
for $500. It had been really abused but the darned thing still worked.
About a year later a guy offered me three times what I paid for it and since
I had bills to pay I let it go. Still wish I had it.

Anyway.
It's bugging me again to get another.
But I'm going to have to sell three or four other sixguns to pay for one.
I have three Rugers that I just don't shoot very often and it's bugging the
snot out of me having them sit around collecting dust when I can sell them and get
something I really want.

The real problem is what caliber and barrel length.
If I sell the Rugers that will weave me without a .45 Colt and I don't like that.
I'm leaning toward the . 45 But, I really want a .44-40 too. Both of which I hand load for so that's not an issue.

Also can't decide between the 4 3/4" and 7 1/2" Barrel.
I like the handiness of the shorter barrel but those long barrel Colts just get me going.

Soooo...

Those of you that have / had them ( and everyone else). What would be your choice?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Re: OT- Colt Single Action Army

Post by JimT »

One of each.

And then the addiction really kicks in ................... :lol:
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I love my 5 1/2" .45 Colt.....it took me a few years to save enough money to buy it. It will go to my grandson one day...

jumbeaux
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2ndovc,

I'm in the same boat as you. Before I croak I want a real, genuine, Colt SAA in .45 Colt, blue with CCH, 4.75" barrel.

I've never had one, but I've shot a couple and I've owned other brands of single actions for over 30 years.
The one constant I've found is I like the 4.75" barrels the best. I like the handiness, the feel, the balance, and ... and ... and .... my eyes like the sight radius best.
I've had two New Model Ruger Blackhawks shortened from 7.5" to 4 5/8" and I'm about to do that with my current Old Model BH.

The caliber for me at least would be the .45 Colt first. Then if I could ever get another one it might be in another caliber.

The only thing is, weather or not I shoot my other guns, I will not sell or trade them off to get a different one. Done that in the past and still regret it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It would depend on how I was going to use it. The 4 3/4 is the handiest. The 5 1/2 is balanced well and a good in between choice. The 7 1/2 is , in most cases, the most accurate. I have all the calibers produced today and like the 45 Colt myself. If your going to carry it in your truck consider which type of holster, strong or cross draw, you will need for which barrel length. I have found I take the 4 3/4 most often, the 5 1/2 sometimes, and the 7 1/2 the least. That's my two cents. Enjoy your Colt SAA when you get it or them, there is nothing like one, two, or etc. :D

(corrected) 4 3/4 not 4 5/8: I knew that. :)
Last edited by rangerider7 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Colt's short-tubed SAAs are 4 3/4". Ruger made the 4 5/8" guns.

I have a 4 3/4", that I haul around with me in vehicles, or for more-or-less concealed carry. My FAVORITE barrel length is 7 1/2" and I'm also fond of my 5 1/2" shooter.

Caliber...? .45 Colt.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my favorite is 4 3/4 or 5 1/2. I have third generation Colts in .44 special and .357, both in the 4 3/4 length. I carry the .44sp in a simply rugged holster and boy does it feel good and carry well but I can't say enough about how it shoots. One of my all time favorites! I like the shorter barrels. I really want one in .45 with Bisley grips though. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I have a 7.5" in 45, and a 7.5" in 38-40. My shooting buddy has the 5.5" in 45. I've spent a lot of time with both the 45's and I still prefer the feel of the longer barrel. But accuracy wise, neither one seems to have an edge over the other.

I have noticed though that when running them through the chrony, the Standard Deviation out of the short barrel is much much higher than the long barrel, which I find interesting. SD for the 7.5" over about a 10shot session was 6.9, while the SD for the 5.5" was 113...yup you read that right...113. Loads were out of the same box all loaded at the same time, and shot the same hour over the same chrony. Powder is Unique, and even though the huge SD doesn't seem to effect the accuracy at all in the shorter gun, it really is baffling. I'm thinking that perhaps the burn isn't close to complete on the shorter gun, while the extra 2 inches in the longer gun may be just enough. Powder position might also be a factor as he shot his and I shot mine, and our preshot routines might be different. Just something to keep filed away in the back of your mind, not that it seemed to make any difference in reality.

BTW, I would go 45 over any other offerings. As for the 38-40, I'm not convinced that Colts throat specs are reliable enough on to be consistent. I also suggest you handle the gun before you buy it.

Ed
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

If you want a Colt SAA .45 and can swing the deal you won't ever regret doing it. I bought mine in 1959 and and sold my new Blackhawk .44mag to my cousin and never looked back. It is just like holding an old Winchester in your hands.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've had some digressions but am working my way up to a Colt 4-3/4" .45 Colt. Started with a Ruger New Vaquero (what I felt I could afford at the time). Then a USFA (which somehow morphed into THREE USFA guns). I still want the Colt and have since I held my first on Alvarado Street in Monterey, CA and saw all those Colts in a little shop on the edge of San Angelo, TX a year later. They have a long and deep appeal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I just got an email from Gander Mountain advertising the Colt SAA for 1599.00, nickle 1799.00, BP frame was higher, I can't remember the exact price. I know you can find them priced under that, but I wasn't aware of the retail rise.
"That'll Be The Day"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have four various colt saa,s. I like the .44 specials best. Colt just cant seem to bore the clyinders small enough to match the barrels in .45 colt of all people! Maybe I need to experiment more with my .45 colt. I have a old .32 wcf, but with the small bore it feels more clunky and heavier. I like 4 3/4" best, that is just my taste. I think you should be able to find a like new third generation somewhere and save $500-$600 from the new prices stated. $1,600 is reaching!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bogus bill wrote:I have four various colt saa,s. I like the .44 specials best. Colt just cant seem to bore the clyinders small enough to match the barrels in .45 colt of all people! Maybe I need to experiment more with my .45 colt. I have a old .32 wcf, but with the small bore it feels more clunky and heavier. I like 4 3/4" best, that is just my taste. I think you should be able to find a like new third generation somewhere and save $500-$600 from the new prices stated. $1,600 is reaching!
I think Colt is still boring the chamber throats to the old SAAMI specs.
45colt Diagram.JPG
That made no sense after WW II when they started with the 2nd Gen guns, and it makes less sense now. Especially when you consider that everbody else; Ruger, S&W, Uberti, Pieta, FA, and USFA are using the tighter throats that match the grove diameters.
However if you shoot SAAMI spec Winchester 255gr and Remington 250gr lead ammo you're shooting bullets that measure out at .456" and .455". So it does work out ... sorta.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

First of all,

Thanks for all the responses Guys!

Really confirmed my thinking. .45 Colt with a 4 3/4" barrel.
They are on the auction sites anywhere from $1150 on up.
Hopefully I'll be able to add the 44-40 at a later date.

The .44 Spl and .357 were already out of the running since I have
both calibers in sixguns that I really enjoy and shoot a lot as well as
my Custom 44mag SBH that I'll never part with.

Just too much stuff!! I have this need to simplfy my life a little.

I'll be putting the Rugers in the classifieds soon. A Blackhawk .45 Colt/ ACP convertible
and a consec. pair of .32 H&R Single Sixes.
Might also add a Webley .455 MK VI

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

rangerider7 wrote:I just got an email from Gander Mountain advertising the Colt SAA for 1599.00, nickle 1799.00, BP frame was higher, I can't remember the exact price. I know you can find them priced under that, but I wasn't aware of the retail rise.
I bought my nickle 7.5" ordered new from a local pawn shop a couple or 3 months ago. Paid $1400 out the door with tax, and $100 of it was the pawn shops profit.

Ed
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason,
Hold on to your Rugers as a third gen Colt is not out of reach. I do know the third gen. 38-40's have excellent tolerences and are excellent shooters. Can't say the same for the 44-40 third gens.

Barrel lengths-----Nothing balances as nice as a 5 and 1/2--that length goes with me on my hunting/woods bumming escapades.

The 7 and 1/2" is the prettiest and easiest to shoot. Most of my SA Colts are that length.------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I think you're making a good choice. I have been (and remain) a 5.5" fan but the 4-3/4 are growing on me after a recent USFA Rodeo purchase in that length--awfully handy. I lucked out on a very rare 4th (late 3rd for purists) gen .44 Special - ca. 2008 non-catalogued that I know of and the only newer-bushing era one I've seen. Likely a "custom-shop" item someone didn't come through on (which they all say now, but in this case must've been custom order). In any event, stellar gun...couldn't be more pleased. I ditto your observation that the current production/new guns can be widely found in the $1,150 range + shipping/FFL, with maybe a few seen slightly under that. While not chump change, this represents a generally lower price and stabilization that started a year or two ago (sensing USFA nipping at their market?) that seems to be holding.

Btw, for either the .44-40 or .45LC route, Colt has extra cylinders available in .44 Special and .45ACP respectively...though guns found with this combination already put together seem to be inordinately pricey. Something to think about. It seems to me that Colt advertised within the past year limited-time special pricing on .45ACP cylinders if ordered with your 45LC, but that may have been USFA also...and the time may have expired anyway. Something in the .44-40/.44 Special combo's favor, you can load the .44 Special up "warmer" in the SAA more than the .45LC can/should be (a lot of similar discussion in many of these forums regarding the same issue of Ruger/Lipsey .44 Special vs same mid-frame New Vaquero .45LC--meaning greater "margin" I might add (I'm sure this'll start something!). If going the .45 route, the ACP cylinder would permit cheaper "plinking." I don't know if they'll sell cylinders separately, and regardless would need to be fitted to your particular gun "by someone."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hobie wrote:... I still want the Colt and have since I held my first on Alvarado Street in Monterey, CA...
That would be the pawn shop down at the end, towards the pier, when you were in the Service, right? It's gone, now.

Along with some other pistols, I bought a .455 Webley, in great condition, there. Back then, I knew nothing about reloading and the ammo was not much more available than it is today. I wish I had kept it!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Hobie wrote:... I still want the Colt and have since I held my first on Alvarado Street in Monterey, CA...
That would be the pawn shop down at the end, towards the pier, when you were in the Service, right? It's gone, now.

Along with some other pistols, I bought a .455 Webley, in great condition, there. Back then, I knew nothing about reloading and the ammo was not much more available than it is today. I wish I had kept it!
Actually, it was the sporting goods store up the street near the "triangle" where if you bore left you'd go by the Rosecrucian place. Way up from the water. They had knives, guns (like Marlin's LC Smith, Marlins, Colts...) and other neat things. I'm trying to remember but I think it was further from the pier than Alice's Restaurant (had lamb there once, delicious).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

The 4 3/4" is perfect for carrying. The 5 1/2" is perfect for shootin'. :)
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I bought a used/new .45 colt 4 3/4" about 1989 for $670, mfg in 1981. I shot it alongside a S&W 25-5 I also own. Cant remember what ammo, but fired cases dropped right out of the 25-5, and I had a tough time getting the swollen cases out of the colt. (same ammo). As I have many other guns and things going on it layed in the safe ever since. Finaly two years ago I got around to sending it back to colt with the complaint of too large chambers and it being way off on POA. I asked if it needed a new clyinder that I wanted one with the new removeable bushing.
They sent me the gun back with the old clyinder plus a new one with the new bushing. The new clyinder was numbered to the gun! They also said they fixed the POA. There was NO charge for any of this! The bad news is that I belive the new clyinder is identical in overbore size as the original! I dropped the same size bullets through both clyinders without restriction. Now I also am ashamed to admit that since getting the gun back I have yet to field test it. I will remidy that soon. All I can say in defense to that oversight is I was laid up with serious surgerys for a year and since recovery been doing other stuff. Here is the colt.

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Long as I am posting pictures here are two .44 specials. The 4 3/4" I bought new around 1984. The 7 1/2" was made in 1906 and sent to the copper queen mine at bisbee ariz. It was originaly a 4 3/4" in .44 WCF. Old gun writer tommy bish along with al capone owner of king gun works in los angeles redone it probley in late 50s early 60s.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I dont know why i haven't added one to my collection yet. I guess i see the $1200 pricetag for one and my mind whirs and i think to myself "Thats 2 late model lever guns". Consequently, every couple of paychecks, a levergun seems to materialize from somewhere (most recently it was a .45 Colt Trapper) and i still dont have a SAA. I'm tempted to sell a couple of black rifles---but i probably wont

Now that my levergun needs are met, i can concentrate on my "wants". A pair of Colts is pretty high on the "want" list, as well as an 1895, a Sharps, and a 6920 EBR and then a .......................................................................................... and on and on :lol: :lol: it almost seems to be mindless collecting of "stuff" --- i shoot my Single Six, Henry lever gun, and vintage AR more than anything else by a very large margin
----- Doug
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

This is my favorite modern handgun. It is a 4 3/4 Colt SAA in 45 Colt. The rig is made up of a Bob Marrs of Amarillo, Texas cartridge belt and a Tom Threepersons holster by Lobo of Pueblo, Colorado. You only go around once on this earth. Do it with a Colt SAA 45 strapped on your side!

"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rangerider7,

I'm drooling on my table top. Make those grips ivory and you've got the set up I've wanted all my life. Someday ..... I hope.

bogus bill,

Check the chambers in that new cylinder vs the old cylinder very carefully. It's not the size of the chambers that cause the fired cases to stick. I've got two cylinders for my OM BH, both with close to or at SAAMI max chambers. With anything I shoot both chambers will allow the cases to drop free. One cylinder is pitted and the other is typical Ruger with tool marks in all of them.

For your Colt chambers to stick like that there has to be something really bad wrong with them. Possibly polishing them might help.

Now I've read something about Peacemaker Specialists custom making cylinders to modern specs. It might be worth a a phone call.
http://www.peacemakerparts.com/

Joe
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I thought about making an offer on an early 3rd gen in 44sp until I measured it. .4266 grrove dia. One throat .431, one .432, three .433 and one .434. I don't need that kind of agravation.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rangerider7 wrote:J Miller, here you go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =142711598
Yep :P :D , that would do it alright!!!! Complete with an auxiliary ACP cylinder. Now, if the wife would only buy the right lotto numbers I'd have it made.

Joe
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That gunbroker Colt would be a good deal for someone.
Old Law Dawg
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

NO KIDDING!
"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Colt SAA, just seems wrong in some fashion if it isn't a .45 with a 4-¾" barrel.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

Thanks for that. "I'm back in the Saddle Again". I haven't heard that in so many years, my eyes leaked a bit.

Joe
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Fred, I'm with you, I'm liking my .44sp in 4 3/4 inch.

Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

Check on site for Cherry's Fine Guns...they have new nickle guns for 1350 in 44-40 and some 45s for as low as 950....the new CC/blue usually run around 1095.....they are real competative on new colts most of the time......
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've got .44 specials in both 5 1/2" and 4 3/4". The 5 1/2" guns are what I shoot SASS matches with. They really "point" nicely for me. I had them worked over by Edward Janis of Peacemaker Specialties and cannot recommend him highly enough. I've shot many thousands of rounds through these guns and they continue to function flawlessly.

I'm definitely sold on the Colt's, I've shot the older Ruger Vaquero for many years before being able to afford my Colt's. The Colt's feel a thousand times better in the hand to me. Just working the action on a nicely tuned Colt's revolver is a feel that you have to experience to understand.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Well heck,iff'n everybody is gonna' post their Colt's. 5 1/2" .357 from 1979 and still going strong.
Last edited by SmokeEater2 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

I have this one, made in 1917. It has a 5-1/2" barrel. It's a 45 caliber

I like the 5-1/2.......
Reqards,
Windjammer
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote:Jason,
Hold on to your Rugers as a third gen Colt is not out of reach. I do know the third gen. 38-40's have excellent tolerences and are excellent shooters. Can't say the same for the 44-40 third gens.

Barrel lengths-----Nothing balances as nice as a 5 and 1/2--that length goes with me on my hunting/woods bumming escapades.

The 7 and 1/2" is the prettiest and easiest to shoot. Most of my SA Colts are that length.------Sixgun

After a little thought I've decided to hang on to a couple of the Rugers.
But it's no since( to me) having two .45 Colt revolvers so I'm going to post that one in the classifieds.
I'm going to keep the pair of .32 H&Rs. I want the kids to have them someday.

jb 8)

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2ndovc wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Jason,

After a little thought I've decided to hang on to a couple of the Rugers.
But it's no since( to me) having two .45 Colt revolvers so I'm going to post that one in the classifieds.
I'm going to keep the pair of .32 H&Rs. I want the kids to have them someday.

jb 8)
Jason,

Why not? I have three now and am always trolling for more :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"The .45 Colt; first, foremost, and forever" - J Miller

Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.

J :mrgreen: e
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

After posting I figuered I better test my colt with the new clyinder. So this morning I went through the safe pulling out a few more .45 colts to test. I probley will go to the range monday or so when hardley nobodys there. Anyway I got to compareing a couple clones I have had forever and hadnt only took out a couple times. One is a 5 1/2" Dakota and the other a cimmeron mfg by uberti. To me the quality "looks" right there with colt! I had taken the Dakota out and the first session I shot it the ejector flew off. Company fixed it and I am not sure I fired it since but once!

SAAJim
Levergunner 1.0

Post by SAAJim »

:D If you've got to have the pony, then you've got to have the pony. I have two Colt 3rd Gen NF and they are nice guns after quite a bit of work but neither one holds a candle to the quality of two USFA SAAs I got from Gary Granger of USFA about a year ago. For $845/ea. shipped with CCH hammers in the bargain, I'm more than happy. And with properly sized .45 Colt chamber throats. For a great shooter, Long Hunter (http://www.longhunt.com/usfa/sa-revolver.htm) will send you a USFA SAA CCH/Blue with an action job included for $920 ($895/ea for a pair).

I'm up in the NC woods making smoke with the USFA SAA .45 Colt and the darn thing is so accurate, it makes even me look good. For some the name is all important and that's fine. To me, the spirit of the Single Action Army lives in the steel, not the name and USFA makes the steel that takes a backseat to none.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Jim
2ndovc wrote:Along with a lot of others I've wanted a real Colt SAA
since I was a kid.

I had one for a short time while I was in college.
I bought an original Artillery model at an auction
for $500. It had been really abused but the darned thing still worked.
About a year later a guy offered me three times what I paid for it and since
I had bills to pay I let it go. Still wish I had it.

Anyway.
It's bugging me again to get another.
But I'm going to have to sell three or four other sixguns to pay for one.
I have three Rugers that I just don't shoot very often and it's bugging the
snot out of me having them sit around collecting dust when I can sell them and get
something I really want.

The real problem is what caliber and barrel length.
If I sell the Rugers that will weave me without a .45 Colt and I don't like that.
I'm leaning toward the . 45 But, I really want a .44-40 too. Both of which I hand load for so that's not an issue.

Also can't decide between the 4 3/4" and 7 1/2" Barrel.
I like the handiness of the shorter barrel but those long barrel Colts just get me going.

Soooo...

Those of you that have / had them ( and everyone else). What would be your choice?

jb 8)
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've got one of the John Wayne Red River commemorative guns from USFA. It's a nice piece with the fake ivory grips and the gray finish. The action is not really that great out of the box, but it's not horrible either. I'll need to make it feel like my Colt's before I'm completely satisfied with it.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

All of my Cowboy guns are 44's. I have Uberti's, Colt's & Ruger's. I like the Colts the best.

However when I get to serious shooting, I reach for the Ruger 44 Mag (OM) Super Black Hawk 7 1/2". I have 44 special loads and full loads, developed just for this piece.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

The only long barreled six-gun I've ever owned and likes is my old Navy Colt reproduction.

Twice I've bought 6.5" Blackhawks only to get rid of them because the barrel-length is unhandy for wearing behind the wheel of a car or truck.

Long barrels are fine for hunting handguns, but for a packing pistol, 4.75 is pretty near perfection, IMO.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!