OT - I’m Pumped, Early PA. Muzzle Loader Season.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT - I’m Pumped, Early PA. Muzzle Loader Season.

Post by cshold »

What about the rest of you PA. Gents? Oct. 17th. Come soon. :D
I’m taking the whole week off this yr. No in-lines for me. :o :shock:
It’s real long, real black, flint & steel for this o’l boy. :wink:

Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - I’m Pumped, Early PA. Muzzle Loader Season.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hey Mike, stop holding out on us! Details on that flinter! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I for one am really looking forward to it. I will be hard at it. I have tags and and I am soooooo looking forward to it. Like you, I will be using my Brad Emig built .54 cal virginia rifle, dressed in period dress, with hunting shirt, moccasins, breech and leggins, and either capote (your old one) or my hunting jacket in brown. I have a blaze orange french trappers hat and my hunting knive, and hawk rest in my woven belt. My hand stiched possible bag is filled with flint fire maker, extra flints, ball molds, hand thrown .530 round balls, etched horn pan flask, patches, and hand forged tools. Over my shoulder is an additional woven bag for my other possibles. my bed roll goes with me if I stay over in the woods, the make shift lean to (built dependent on weather) will be nestled against a rock wall face. I will step back into the past and merge into the deep woods, jerky, cheese, water my food unless I take game along the way. Yep, I'm looking forward to it. It is my favorite week of the year in the woods.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I'm going the 18th and 19th for the early ky season! :D
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Hey Mike, stop holding out on us! Details on that flinter! :D
Hey Jay, glade yea ask. :D

This PA. long rifle is indeed one of my babies that I will never part with till deth.
It’s a semi-custom hand made PA. long rifle (Yorktown) .45 cal. Built
By Brad Emig. He built it for me back in 1988. It has accounted for a
Number of deer, over the yrs.

http://cabincreek.net/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=25

Brother Mike, you and I are of kindred spirits. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yes sir, we are. my smoke will rise and meet yours in just a few days. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
surveyor527
Levergunner

Post by surveyor527 »

Roger that early M/L hunting! I'm sure some of the PA guys know where Assateague Island National Seashore is, just south of Ocean City. I'm going for the first part, they only allow primitive guns for 10/12-17, then inlines for the next week. I'd rather flintlock 3 days for sika deer than 3 weeks of anything else.
It is my favorite firearm hunt of the season (followed closely by bear huntin' in Pike Co PA) because the bugs are still terrible and keeps a lot of guys out of the woods. Good luck to all & be safe.
Forget about the danger.........think of the fun!
holahead
Levergunner

Post by holahead »

Good luck hope you get you a nice one. I bought a rifle that looks close to yours last year. It uses caps instead of flint and its not a custom but shares the look. I got it to hang on the wall with a powder horn and a possibles bag but the more I look at it the more I want to try it out. It is also 45 cal. Made by Sears & Roebuck.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I'am pretty pumped too. Our ML season starts on oct 17th also. I didn't deer hunt that much last year, and I had gotten to where I didn't do much muzzleloading hunting, because of work, and my old TC Hawken, for some reason wasn't shooting very accurately, anymore.

I knew I wanted a new muzzleloader, but the inlines, even though I know they are fine shooters in general, they just never tripped my trigger. So, I did a couple of things, I ordered a new custom ML from TVM, but it won't be ready for several months, and I decided to cut the barrel shorter on my TC Hawken, since I had read a lot about the counterbore QLA feature giving others problems with accuracy, and I didn't like the sights either. So, after cutting it down to around 22 inches, recrowning, and adding different sights, it seems to be shooting pretty good. I will use it, as my fall back gun.

What I am really excited about is my .62 cal Jackie Brown Flintlock fowler, I have ordered, which I hope to still get in time for the up comming hunt. It's supposed to ship this week. :D

So, I am planning on taking at least the first 5 days off, for the ML season. I havn't done that in a long time. Now, if it will just quit raining so darned much. I swear it seems like it rains every darned day around here, anymore. We havn't seen 3 straght days of sunshine this whole year.
NRA Life Member, Patron
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am going to the drag racers flea market at maple grove on the morning of the 17th and squirrel hunting in the afternoon then around 330 I'll slip into the woods with my .....uhhm (gulp) in-line. But I do have a lefty flinter for after christmas and Dixon's muzzleloader shop is one of my favorite places. :mrgreen: Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hoping to get out. This fall has been terrible for sick kids and I hope they are all well during the season start. Lastmoheckon, That TVM should be really nice, and .62 should make short work of anything out there. Pictures please when you can.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

I suppose if I post a picture of my synthetic stocked stainless steel T/C Encore shooting 250 gr Hornaday SSTs using Blackhorn 209 powder I'll be laughed off the board! :lol:
The Lord Bless You

Terry
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

we won't laugh...promise. Pretty is as pretty does. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

C. Cash wrote:Hoping to get out. This fall has been terrible for sick kids and I hope they are all well during the season start. Lastmoheckon, That TVM should be really nice, and .62 should make short work of anything out there. Pictures please when you can.

OH Man! That rifle is Sweet, Tell me more about it. I take it, that it's a TVM?
NRA Life Member, Patron
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Lastmohecken,

Thanks! Yup it is. It is from a Tennessee Valley Manufacturing kit(it's the Jack Garner one...he was apart of the Tenneesee Valley Muzzleloading before starting his own shop). It's his Early Lancaster kit, and was assembled by a local builder for about 400 and change. So, all told it was about 750 bucks to get done. It has a straight sided Green Mountain 54 cal. barrel, slow twist and L & R lock and trigger. The stock is curly Red Maple in lefty. It's so comfortable to shoot....recoil is next to nothing and very fast ignition. Very close to a caplock in terms of speed. I still lust after the East Tenn. rifles of Ken Guy and would love to have one of those someday as well, but will be very happy with this one if it's all I ever have.

PS: the horn is by Ray Ferree aka "Poor Bull" of Thermopolis, WY and scrimshawed by Jeremy Ray of Sevierville, TN.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

C. Cash wrote:we won't laugh...promise. Pretty is as pretty does. :mrgreen:
I guess it is pretty enough then!

The Lord Bless You

Terry
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

41 Redhawk wrote:
C. Cash wrote:we won't laugh...promise. Pretty is as pretty does. :mrgreen:
I guess it is pretty enough then!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looking good indeed.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that deer has a hole in it and is leaking. I would take it back.
Mike Johnson,

41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The leak just in front of the shoulder is the exit hole. It leaked alot and there was an ample blood trail for the 25 yards that it actually ran. Perhaps blood spray is a better description! That one was shot down in Greene county.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

41 Redhawk wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The leak just in front of the shoulder is the exit hole. It leaked alot and there was an ample blood trail for the 25 yards that it actually ran. Perhaps blood spray is a better description! That one was shot down in Greene county.
Those o'l muzzle-sploders sure do make a big hole :D
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Unfortunately KANSAS runs their Muzzleloading Season way to early. This season was 21 SEP to 4 OCT. I went out a couple of times, however with the high temps I was plagued by mesquitos. In total I observed approx 12 deer total in 3 different sightings, all of which were after legal shooting hours. Unfortunately I lost a wedge pin on my last trip out. It came in the mail today so the rifle is back 100%. I think it would have been ok to shoot but didnt want to risk it. I guess if I want to spill blood with my GPR I am going to have to use it during the firearms deer season.

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Go for it guy's, go for it. I can smell your smoke from here. May your hope, dreams and patience be rewarded in the short moment that you wait as the smoke clears.

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Doesn't look like I'll be going this year. Good luck to all.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I admit it; I am now a confirmed fare-weather hunter. :shock:
I should be in the woods right now, there was a time when I would have been.
Got up early this morning, looked out the window, thermometer said 38 deg;
And it’s pouring down a very cold rain. A quick split second decision was made,
Back under the nice warm covers snuged up against Miss Joyce. :D
Going to instead lay that laminate floor in the family room today. :o
Monday I will be in the woods with the smoke-pole. :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Alas, I did not buy my doe tag early enough, but not sure I would be out either even if I had one. Miserable is a generous term for outside right now. We have trees limbs down everywhere here...all of our leaves were still on when the snow started.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I also didn't get out over the weekend. I have another round of surgery on Thursday and can't be sick. As a recovering smoker I ask if you smoke please quit. To all who will be hunting this week good luck and I'll be after them the first week of buck. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Back from early ky muzzleloader season. Shot a nice 5 point buck saturday evening, then passed on a small one sunday morning. I mean real small--- still had spots. :D