Why should I keep my 1894C ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Why should I keep my 1894C ?

Post by Goat »

I know that it is light and handy, can kill deer and hogs is FUN to shoot and reasonably accurate. But... I have an 1894CL in 32/20 that is my plinker with even less recoil and lighter projectiles. And I have a 1894 in 41Magnum that will do all that the 357 will and even more. What purpose is it really serving when I have ten "deer guns" already and it will not be hunted but very little if at all? I like the gun but it hasn't grown on me like a lot of my Marlins have. Do I just need to spend more time with her or should we part ways? Sing the virtues of a 1986 production 1894C and I'll let you know what I decide.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why should I keep my 1894C ?

Post by kimwcook »

Goat, that's an easy one. Send it to me. I don't have one.

Seriously, can't answer your question. That one's all yours.
Old Law Dawg
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OH YEAH, WELL WHICH ONE OF 'EM WILL POKE .35 CALIBER HOLES IN A TARGET AND WHICH ONE'S WON'T ??
IF PUSH CAME TO SHOVE I WOULD DUMP EVERY OTHER GUN YOU MENTIONED AND KEEP THE MARLIN 357MAG.
I HAVE THREE 357MAG LEVER CARBINES AND ONE RIFLE. THEY ALL SERVE A PURPOSE AND AND NONE WILL BE REPLACED BY ANY OTHER LEVERGUN I HAVE NOW IN EVERY CALIBER YOU EVER HEARD OF [ EXCEPTING THE 444MARLIN ]
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sounds like the only reason to keep it is if you can't find someone to take it off your hands...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Let me know if you decide to sell it. I want to find one and cut it down to fit my grandson.
clc79092
Levergunner

Post by clc79092 »

I need one!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I sold one.

Really wish I hadn't!!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I won't try and tell you that you don't need it, but if you do decide to part with it you won't have any trouble finding a buyer.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Goat wrote:I know that it is light and handy, can kill deer and hogs is FUN to shoot and reasonably accurate. But... I have an 1894CL in 32/20 that is my plinker with even less recoil and lighter projectiles. And I have a 1894 in 41Magnum that will do all that the 357 will and even more. What purpose is it really serving when I have ten "deer guns" already and it will not be hunted but very little if at all? I like the gun but it hasn't grown on me like a lot of my Marlins have. Do I just need to spend more time with her or should we part ways? Sing the virtues of a 1986 production 1894C and I'll let you know what I decide.
Goat
Naw, with all the rest you got, you don't need it :twisted: . Just send it to me so I can give it to Mrs J Miller for her birthday present this month. That would solve both our problems. :mrgreen: :D :) :P

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The purpose is that it does all those things with ammunition that will be most available when ammunition becomes unavailable.

Recently, we found it near impossible to get .41 Mag ammo or ALL the components necessary to make more even if we had the brass. For the .32-20, brass and primers were the missing key ingredients as well as loaded ammo. However, despite all the shortages, .357 Mag and .38 Special has been available all during this time.

The .32-20 and the .41 Mag fun and unique but the .357 Mag will be the gun that gets it done when the others are all outta reloading options.

I guess you can tell I count this as very important.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well don't ask for mine if you make the mistake of getting rid of it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

2ndovc wrote:I sold one.

Really wish I hadn't!!!!

jb 8)
I did the same dumb thing along time ago with one. :(

Think about what Hobie's sayin, makes a pile of sense. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What Terry and Hobie said.

Between a .357 Mag and a .45-70, you have the ends of the power spectrum for straight-wall cartridges, in 'commonly available' cartridges. There ARE others that can do the jobs better, and others you may enjoy more, so I'd not necessarily sell the others (or the .357), but keeping a .357 levergun as an 'in case' gun makes ALOT of sense to me.

I also like the .32-20, and if I had a set of .327 Federals in levergun and revolver, I'd maybe take them, plus a .44 Mag carbine and .444 Marlin rifle, and be pretty satisfied, but unless you have enough dough to stockpile LOTS of components or loaded ammo, the commoner cartridges could be lifesavers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:Goat, that's an easy one. Send it to me. I don't have one.

Seriously, can't answer your question. That one's all yours.
Or send me the .32-20, then you won't feel so bad about having all those mean guns!!!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

What Hobie said.

Unique rounds are cool, especially if you reload.

If you don't keep something in common calibers around.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sounds like your're just joshin'...

My 1894c was my first gun. I have it scoped, and take it with me every week to the indoor range. Anything more powerful would not be allowed at that range. So it serves a nice purpose, weekly practice.

It's not my favorite, but it's the gun I use the most.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I hunted a used 1894C for a good while after I got sick (no recoil).....short length makes it a joy to carry in the truck or on a fourwheeler. Enough power for whitetails, hogs and whatever else comes along. Ammo as Hobie said is available and handloads very cheap with Unique and cast bullets. Mine is a fun weapon......

jumbeaux
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

After reading all this you may want to get another. This is America. If ya want to sell it, sell it and don't look back. Here's my but. BUT, as handy as the 38-357 combo is, my gut feeling is this will be one you wished had not gotten away.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was just thinking of trading my 1894CL 32-20 for a nice, short .357 carbine of some sort, prolly a C.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I had two, one of first year production and one of recent. I sold the one of recent production here while back. I like them alot although I don't shoot mine a hole lot, I like my 94 trapper in 45 colt better. I use mine for new shooters and plinking, low recoil and relatively low muzzle blast makes for a fun gun.
Ricky

DWWC
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Keep it because its a great lever gun. I always bring mine to the range when shooting my other rifles. I always bring it camping or hiking around. Their cheap to reload and usually excellent shooters. My 1894c would probably be 1 of the last guns I got rid of (I'd keep a 30-30 over it for hunting) If you decide to sell it you will have no problem as many people can't find them for sale new or used.
Karl
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Somehow I knew that there would be more that said keep it than sell it. It is really not in my way and I do like short, handy carbines. It doesn't eat much and it is the second one I've had. That must mean that I like it enough to have bought another. I probably need to get a bunch of cast bullets or even better start casting myself. I'm still not completly convinced but am leaning towards keeping it .
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

KEEP IT !! :D :D :D
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Just Cause !
Maybe you are in love with it?
It Shoots Good?
Down right pretty ?
How about it is a great go to piece
Or you could always shoot Cock Roaches
EVEN a SMALL BLACK BEAR ?
Maybe a "GREEN BEAR " ?
Like Me you may have some OLD OLD EXES abouts !!
I got 3 , could be more?
AWHHHHHH Heck
Just cause you are great GUY ! and you earned it.

" Looking out for you're best interest "
You're Friend ............Mutt