I was going to the range today, but something got in the way

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

I was going to the range today, but something got in the way

Post by J Miller »

My wife came home from work last night and said: My truck is making a funny noise and it don't wanna start. Oh oh..........

So I go outside and listen to it. The alternator was howling. Bearings were shot. I went inside and put my shoes on, grabbed the Fluke meter and my 3 foot screwdriver / sound locater and went back outside. I told her to start it up.

Listened to the alt, confirmed it's shot, watched the Fluke, nothing but battery voltage, about 11.4 volts I think. NUTS!!!

Pulled the battery, put it on the charger in the garage, then backed my Pathfinder out of the way and pushed hers up close to the garage door.

Looked up the alternator at O'Reilly Auto Parts on line. $146.99 for a reman alternator. OUCH!!! All the stores in Springfield stocked one.
Looked up the alternator at NAPA on line. Four different choices, big price spread. They aren't open on Sunday anyway.

This morning, go outside dig out a half dozen rugs. It's not raining, but it's so humid and cool that EVERYTHING outside is wet. Fought with the truck to get the alt out. Got it out, went to O'Reilly, got the reman and a new belt. Gates of course. $170.82 total. Came home put it all back together.

Oh what a relief. Works great now, much quieter. 14.1 volts charging with every thing turned on.

Hooked up my little portable tire pump and aired up her front tires. Topped up all the under hood fluids too.

Wifie works a split shift. We got her truck fixed in time for her make it to the afternoon shift. Didn't loose all of todays income.

Now I have a question; Why is it that when your wife says: "My vehicle is making a funny noise", it never makes you laugh?

I never made it to the range :(

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well at least it wasnt something to major.

When my wife says the car is making a funny noise I make all sorts of sounds and say quite a few words none of wich sounds like a laugh :wink: :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Joe,

I think you are quite fortunate in a way, think about all the guys out there who simply could not have figgured out how to change out their alternator.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm one of those people that are "mechanically" challenged. I admire your skills.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Good job Joe.
Sorry you missed out on the range time.
I get so caught up in things,I would have been cussing and whining all day, trying to fix that thing.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Not being rich I had to learn to fix my vehicles when I was in high school. My mom didn't have the funds to keep them going so it was up to me.

Funny thing is, today I didn't even scrape a knuckle. I usually get at least one cut or scrape.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I would have barked a knuckle for sure, but I would have changed it out.

I need to tell you my auto repair story on the road to Alaska sometime.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Recently my wife said her car was making a funny noise. Went into the garage there was a puddle of trans. fluid about six feet wide. New trans $3200.00.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

3200.00 for a new trans. ???
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gosh, only $170! I was up in Bismark, ND a couple of weeks ago, and noticed about 8pm on a Saturday, my voltmeter only showed 10 Volts. Waited till 8am on Sunday for the dealer to open only to be told they couldn't change it till Monday. So, I changed it out myself, $278.32. 8 degrees outside. Sometimes a guy just has to do what a guy has to do! Good on you for taking care of the wife's car.

Favorite story is seein' an elderly couple sitting on the side of the road with a flat; snowing with low visibility and the guy sitting on the rear bumper reading the owner's manual. I stopped across the road and asked if I could help. 10 minutes later I'm turning down cash, and wishing them a Merry XMas with their kids. All I could see was a couple about the age of my folks sitting on the side of the road while their kids wondered, "what happened to Mom & Pop!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

And I thought I was the only one with that kind of luck! Glad to hear you made it out fairly cheap, that honestly isnt that much these days and it certainly could have been ALOT worse! Now you only have to deal with the disappointment of not getting to the range.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oh well that's OK, I'll make it to the range Tuesday or Wednesday .... maybe.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

ScottT wrote:Joe,

I think you are quite fortunate in a way, think about all the guys out there who simply could not have figgured out how to change out their alternator.
That would be me! Glad to hear it wasn't major, and that you were able to fix it!!! :D
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Favorite story is seein' an elderly couple sitting on the side of the road with a flat; snowing with low visibility and the guy sitting on the rear bumper reading the owner's manual. I stopped across the road and asked if I could help. 10 minutes later I'm turning down cash, and wishing them a Merry XMas with their kids. All I could see was a couple about the age of my folks sitting on the side of the road while their kids wondered, "what happened to Mom & Pop!"
Thank You Griff, this world could use more people like you on the roads!
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

It's always nice when it's something you can fix yourself.

A few years back, we hopped into the mini-van to head to church. Started it up & it was making an awful squealing/howling sound. Looked at my wife & she says "yea, it's been doing that since Tuesday". Took the truck to church & then had some function to attend that afternoon, so it was six o'clock before I got a chance to look at it. Slipped the belt off & checked the water pump - completely seized up. Fortunately, Checker is open sunday evenings. Got it all fixed in a couple hours. To this day tho, if she complains of a vehicle noise, I ask her if 'it's been doing that since Tuesday.' :D
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Sure glad it was something you could identify and fix yourself! Also glad you could swing the parts cost. It's amazing how close we can be to financial ruin from something like that.

Mike,

That "since last Tuesday" line reminds me of my wife. I was tuning up my pickup, changing oil and all, and had been asking her if she was checking her oil regularly. (This is before we married) She always said she had. I offered to change her oil, but she wanted to have it done at Wal-mart. (Real professionals, ya know) So, we went grocery shopping while they did her car. They paged her about ten minutes later. I was thinking, "darn, that was quick!", we went back to see them, and they made her sign a waiver because her car was OUT OF OIL!

She hates that story, and REALLY hated it when I told her Dad, who had quite a chuckle.
She said, "Well, I figured SOMEBODY would check my oil!" (meaning me) I told her, "Well, hell, I thought you'd been driving for 10 years!"
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My mom was good at letting things go too. One time I asked to borrow her '70 LeSabre and the first time I put the breaks on the left rear locked up. Then the car didn't want to move. I got it back to her house, jacked it up and checked the breaks. The outer axle seal had gone bad and the breaks were saturated with axle oil.
I asked her how long has it been like this? She didn't know, a week or so maybe. Then I asked why she didn't tell me so I could fix it? Her answer was: "I figured you drive it sooner or later and find it."

GROAN........

Joe
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

mescalero1 wrote:3200.00 for a new trans. ???
Ya, believe it or not. It is a PT Cruiser. It went out one month after the warranty had run out. I did lie a little on the post. $3200.00 was the total cost but after weeks of fighting with Chry. I did get it reduced some.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[when your wife says: "My vehicle is making a funny noise"]

I'm not sure which is worse, that, or when she says: " I DON'T think that's funny ! " :shock: :roll:
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Glad you could do it for yourself Joe. It would have been double that if you'd had to take it somewhere to be fixed.

I'm just too doggone cheap to pay someone to repair something I can fix for myself. Guess that's why I busted some knuckles and taught the neighbors a few new word combinations while replacing a tie rod end and yanking my tranny to replace a rear main seal right after Christmas. Prolly saved myself $500+.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The only things I don't work on are computer system, transmissions, rear axles, and front alinements. I don't have the smarts and tools for them.

However at my age and physical dimensions I'd gladly pay someone else to do the rest of the work if I had the money.

Since my wife has been using this truck for pizza delivery for the last 6 years I've learned how to fix most of it. Grudgingly.

Joe
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Whenever my wife tells me that one of the vehicles is making funny noises, the very first thought that pops into my mind looks like this."$$$$$".
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

When my wife says her vehicle is making a funny noise I always say a little prayer before I ask her "How long has it been making the noise?"
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I am a mechanic by trade and cringe when my wife say's her car is making noise's (or her parents, her and my friend's etc.) Good for you Joe and all you other's who can repair them yourself, you're saving a lot of money!
Karl
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

only $146 for a reman alternator ??

wait till you gotta buy a one-of-a-kind reman Bosch alternator for your favorite hunting vehicle: a 1974 BMW 2002tii .....

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. it was $155 + tax. and some people don't believe in miracles......
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't remember if it was the Saburu, or the 95 Toyota 4cyl truck, but the change out of the serpintine belt needed a dedicated spring depresser of some kind......Paying to have it done was cheaper than buying the tool.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I was going to death valley in summer time and had to change out a water pump on my old 72 ford pickup, 125 degrees, trona, no shade, god that was fun!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bogus bill wrote:I was going to death valley in summer time and had to change out a water pump on my old 72 ford pickup, 125 degrees, trona, no shade, god that was fun!
I've had to work on my cars and trucks in Phoenix when it was well over a hundred. I know what you're saying. You can't touch anything, vehicle, tools, ground, nothing. It's all hot enough to burn you.

Boy do I miss the desert .... :roll:

Joe
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Joe,
Sorry to hear :cry: that trouble with your wife's vehicle interupted your plans for a trip to the range....but glad :D to learn that you were able to fix it aok.

Fortunately, I have been able to work on the family vehicles to keep them running. Fortunately, no issues with transmissions nor computers. Like yourself, I'll leave that to the experts.

Speaking of transmissions, I did hear of a fellow who put a bullet through his accidentally by placing a loaded rifle with the muzzle pointing downward inside the passenger compartment. :shock: A self inflicted transmission dysfunction!!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Speaking of transmissions, I did hear of a fellow who put a bullet through his accidentally by placing a loaded rifle with the muzzle pointing downward inside the passenger compartment. Shocked A self inflicted transmission dysfunction!!
Well, one thing for sure, that was a very expensive ND. Think he learned his lesson?

Joe
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote:Not being rich I had to learn to fix my vehicles when I was in high school. My mom didn't have the funds to keep them going so it was up to me.

Funny thing is, today I didn't even scrape a knuckle. I usually get at least one cut or scrape.

Joe
Okay, if you didn't bust a knuckle, the vehicle is setting you up. They demand blood before all is well. Don't turn your back on it. :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

J Miller wrote:
Speaking of transmissions, I did hear of a fellow who put a bullet through his accidentally by placing a loaded rifle with the muzzle pointing downward inside the passenger compartment. Shocked A self inflicted transmission dysfunction!!
Well, one thing for sure, that was a very expensive ND. Think he learned his lesson?

Joe
Probably figures he has the odds beat.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I haven't met a large mechanical device yet that doesn't demand a blood sacrifice to appease.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jeepnik wrote:
J Miller wrote:Not being rich I had to learn to fix my vehicles when I was in high school. My mom didn't have the funds to keep them going so it was up to me.

Joe
Okay, if you didn't bust a knuckle, the vehicle is setting you up. They demand blood before all is well. Don't turn your back on it. :wink:
OK, now I'm worried .............

Joe
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Glad you could fix it Joe. I was able to completely pull the engine, rebuild and reinstall the engine in a couple of days on my first car, course that was a 1951 Willys jeep with a flathead 4 cylinder. My mechanical apptitude on vehicles has come to a halt since they went to so much computer stuff. My wife had a 1999 VW Beetle, I changed out the battery on it once and 2 days later it was in the shop account of the computer chip was screwed up. I found out this was a fact for sure when one day I had the battery cables disconnected for some reason and again it went to the shop, computer chip screwed up from no juice. I asked my mechanic how you're suppose to change a battery then, he says they have a special thing that keeps the chip alive while the battery is disconnected, well that would have been nice to know ahead of time. Then I tried to change a burned out head light on the stupid thing, I couldn't even figure out how to get to the dang light to change it, took it to the VW dealer and cost me $65.00 to replace a headlight. Needless to say that VW found a new home real soon. I still do a few things on my 1990 Dodge pickup, but my wifes Bonneville always goes to the shop.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Anyone else sick of all the stupid sensors under the hood?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Recently, I had a similar experience. The dead batteries (2 of them) in my 1994 F350 diesel cost me $559.47 because the special order cables were also bad!