Which Caliber 1876 Centennial?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WHITEWOLFDAKOTA
Levergunner

Which Caliber 1876 Centennial?

Post by WHITEWOLFDAKOTA »

I just keep jumping around from practical to dreaming on which caliber I want to hang my hat on. Will be taking it to CAS get togethers but would also like to drag it with me to remote part of Montana and Alberta. Came across alot of bear tracks last May in Alberta and although I had a big handgun and bear bombs was sweating a few times. As for hunting I only go after big Illinois deer and leave everything else alone having been there and done that for everything else. When not filling the freezer with deermeat I am solely just passing thru nature's back yard and it suits me just fine. I haven't been this excited about a new rifle in years and although never get tired of just holding my 1881 built 73, never shoot it due to the 32-20 caliber anymore. Guess it's the age creeping up on me,lol. Need all you Jeremiah Johnsons to set me straight.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My friend chose the .45-60 because, if necessary, he could form his own brass from .45-70 brass.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

20cows wrote:My friend chose the .45-60 because, if necessary, he could form his own brass from .45-70 brass.
That's what I did! :D
WHITEWOLFDAKOTA
Levergunner

Post by WHITEWOLFDAKOTA »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
20cows wrote:My friend chose the .45-60 because, if necessary, he could form his own brass from .45-70 brass.
That's what I did! :D
Great minds think alike! Really good point!-
Watch Your Topknot!
Life is Better in LowRange!
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

45-60 what everybody else said.
Don McDowell

Re: Which Caliber 1876 Centennial?

Post by Don McDowell »

WHITEWOLFDAKOTA wrote:I just keep jumping around from practical to dreaming on which caliber I want to hang my hat on. Will be taking it to CAS get togethers but would also like to drag it with me to remote part of Montana and Alberta. Came across alot of bear tracks last May in Alberta and although I had a big handgun and bear bombs was sweating a few times. As for hunting I only go after big Illinois deer and leave everything else alone having been there and done that for everything else. When not filling the freezer with deermeat I am solely just passing thru nature's back yard and it suits me just fine. I haven't been this excited about a new rifle in years and although never get tired of just holding my 1881 built 73, never shoot it due to the 32-20 caliber anymore. Guess it's the age creeping up on me,lol. Need all you Jeremiah Johnsons to set me straight.

:?: Now you need to tell us just how the sam hell you got a handgun into Alberta? :?:
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

I have an orginal in 45-75. I didn't go looking for, it just kind of fell into my lap. I had always thought I would want the 45-60 because of the brass issue but the 45-75 turned out to be a piece of cake. Bought Lee dies for right around $30 and got the brass from Buffalo Arms. Yeah they were a little exspensive, but just bought 20 the first time so I could shoot it. I then saved up enough cash to buy an additional 80 to have an even 100. Good luck!!
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Check this link, to give you an idea as to what game folks have taken with the 1876.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... 134.0.html

FWIW, my personal choice for general hunting and CAS is the 45-60.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My blog is linked from there if you care to check it out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson