OT - Gettin' Soggy Around Here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

OT - Gettin' Soggy Around Here

Post by GoatGuy »

RANT ON - Man, what's going on with this weather. Can't tell you how many days since we've seen sunshine. Seems like weeks! Low, overcast clouds, fog and mist when it's not pouring, and rain, rain and more rain - and it's forecast to be this way through Tuesday of next week! I'm seriously going a little stir-crazy doing laundry, cleaning out cabinets, and the scores of other "house chores" that my wife can find for me to do.

Cabin fever for sure, not to mention the outdoor chores that are backing up because of the soggy conditions. The yard and lane grass is getting so tall that after it finally dries out around here I'm going to have to mow it twice (once on high setting then again on the normal setting). which means riding around up and down these hills on that noisy *** for a full day, instead of the normal 4+ hours. You see, we have the wife's sister and husband coming for a few days on Monday and then my nephew and his family a week and 1/2 later. Believe me, lots to do to get the outside ready for city folk company. Also started some fencing just before this most recent mega-wet spell set in. T-posts are set and red cedar corner and gate posts placed, but now that pasture is so wet I've not been able to set the gate posts nor the large cedar posts placed for a pole barn/loafing shed for the stock. We can't enclose the sides and back of the pole barn nor stretch the 4"x4" woven wire, sheep/goat fence until all the cedar posts get set! All that needs to get finished so I can begin separating stock for our fall breeding program, which had been planned for 9/15! Ain't farmin' fun! - RANT OFF

Anyhow, hope you not in this "neck of the woods" are faring better. Gotta' go now, I'm sure I can find some laundry to fold and put away,.... maybe even some ironing that needs to be done. :shock:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Gettin' Soggy Around Here

Post by crs »

Yep, you are getting some of the same storm that has wet down North Texas for several days. Most places in the Dallas area have received 6+ inches in the last week.
From the weather radar, the low moved to east Texas, LA, AR, OK, and is now moving back into Texas from SE OK! Should be raining here within the hour.
Good for the pasture though, so no complaints here. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

West of San Antonio we went from 3/10th inch of rain in 14 months to 10 8/10 inch in one week! The bright side is that Mother Nature will pay the food bill for the animals for the rest of the year.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Good for you Texas guys. I know ya'll need the rain. My cousin just north of Georgetown got 14" of the wet stuff just the other day. Said creek flooded, fences down and cows wandering everywhere. They're not complaining either.

Our situation is different in that, although July was really dry, we've had plenty of rain through August and early Septenber. Pastures were fine and had all the moisture they needed before this set in. Guess I shouldn't complain, but just frustrated that my fencing and other construction has been put off for now. Hate it when my plans get shuffled around. Guess I just need to relax and not worry. As a neighbor once told me, "the good thing about farming is if you don't get it done today, there's always tomorrow". :lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We could use that rain here!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even with all the rain West of San Antonio, and the mud, I can't say that there is anything to complain about. It was warm enough that the rain felt pretty good. Plus, it washed the mud off pretty well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon that you can say that we have been getting our share of blessings when it comes to rain. I have got some 30-30 loads made up with the 115 grain 32-20 cast bullets and 6 grains of Unique but it won't quit long enuff to get out and try them. Oh well.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

What's rain?? I think I heard of it . I saw a cloud a couple weeks ago in the distance, or maybe it was smog.
:wink:
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

August was un-usually cool and damp for around here. But we haven't seen a drop of rain since we hit September. I'd like to a get little but it's not looking promising for the near future.

LK
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

This has been one of the wettest summers I can ever remember.

Maybe it was because i was moving, but every trip I made to bring stuff from Mississippi back to Alabama was through fierce rain storms.

Most of July and August gave us afternoon and evening thunderstorms three or four times a week and September has brought more of the same. Parts of the county had 6" or more rain in just a couple or three hours yesterday evening and we've gotten more this afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon, I was able to cut down a dying tree and prune some other trees and shrubbery before it started to rain. So far, it has been raining too much to load the trimmings on the truck and haul them off. maybe tomorrow will be a little drier. At least temperatures have dropped into the 80's rather than the high 90's and higher.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I've heard the main reason for the weird weather is that there's been virtually no sun activity for the last TWO years, ie. sun spots and flares, hence the cooler weather. So much for global warming, eh?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here North-East of Dallas we've gotten about 6 inches in the last week. The ground is still not saturated but it should be getting close. It's mostly been a slow rain and that is letting it soak in good, with is what we need. Temps have been very pleasant.
Ricky

DWWC
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Yep-- oklahoma city area here---- always overcast --- the rain quit here a couple days ago for the most part, but the sun has yet to show its face and the humidity level is way up there (although 75-80 degree temps are really really nice)
----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:We could use that rain here!
+1 We haven't had rain in weeks. Dry as a darn bone here!!! :shock:
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I feel your pain Goatguy. On a normal year the grass dies down about august,this year I'm still trying to keep up with the lawn mowing. :x Oh well,at least my pasture is doing well.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

GoatGuy wrote:RANT ON - Man, what's going on with this weather. Can't tell you how many days since we've seen sunshine. Seems like weeks! Low, overcast clouds, fog and mist when it's not pouring, and rain, rain and more rain - and it's forecast to be this way through Tuesday of next week! I'm seriously going a little stir-crazy doing laundry, cleaning out cabinets, and the scores of other "house chores" that my wife can find for me to do.

Cabin fever for sure, not to mention the outdoor chores that are backing up because of the soggy conditions. The yard and lane grass is getting so tall that after it finally dries out around here I'm going to have to mow it twice (once on high setting then again on the normal setting). which means riding around up and down these hills on that noisy *** for a full day, instead of the normal 4+ hours. You see, we have the wife's sister and husband coming for a few days on Monday and then my nephew and his family a week and 1/2 later. Believe me, lots to do to get the outside ready for city folk company. Also started some fencing just before this most recent mega-wet spell set in. T-posts are set and red cedar corner and gate posts placed, but now that pasture is so wet I've not been able to set the gate posts nor the large cedar posts placed for a pole barn/loafing shed for the stock. We can't enclose the sides and back of the pole barn nor stretch the 4"x4" woven wire, sheep/goat fence until all the cedar posts get set! All that needs to get finished so I can begin separating stock for our fall breeding program, which had been planned for 9/15! Ain't farmin' fun! - RANT OFF

Anyhow, hope you not in this "neck of the woods" are faring better. Gotta' go now, I'm sure I can find some laundry to fold and put away,.... maybe even some ironing that needs to be done. :shock:
sounds like oct. thru may around here. don't let the weather slow you down.
been wet before, be wet again. haven't started melting yet.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"