Cast bullet "Bumping"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Cast bullet "Bumping"

Post by 71fan »

I have a new-to-me Marlin 1881 in .40 Marlin (40-65) with a 0.4145" bore. That is a big problem, since the largest diameter 260 gr FP cast bullets available are generally around 0.409. There are also some 41 mag 215 gr SWCs that go up to 0.411.

Even if I could find a bullet the right diameter, I know from research that the loaded cartridges would most likely not chamber, with the throat being too small to handle the larger-than-standard cartridge.

This is a very similar situation as with early Marlin 1893s in 38-55 that go as high as 0.384". It is my assumption that 1-20 or 1-30 tin-lead bullets used with BP in the original loadings bumped up enough to give adequate performance.

So my question is simple: for a non-caster (me), what combination of alloy hardness and smokeless powder would you recommend I try to get the most bump, assuming a 0.409 is the largest bullet I'll be able to find, let alone chamber.

I'm not totally opposed to BP, I just don't have experience with it, and would like to get a good smokeless load first.
Chad
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Cast bullet "Bumping"

Post by Griff »

I'm not sure of a smokeless powder that will "bump" up a bullet like BP will. But, keeping yer velocity down to about 1400 or less you should be ok if you use that dead-soft lead, or a 30:1 alloy.

I'd write to Accurate Powder folks and ask them for a recommendation. They've been helpful to me in the past in loading smokeless in my .40-90SBN. They recommended 5744, which I'd been using, but they also gave me some data I could sorta hang my hat on while getting a bit more velocity outta my rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Smokeless won't "bump up" a bullet, you need the "explosiveness" of black powder. Use the smaller bullet diameter that will chamber, back off 10% on your smokeless powder load and top off the powder charge with shotgun buffer powder. The powder acts like a gas check and shoots great.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My suggestion is this, though you didn't ask for it :P but if you can lay your hands on some .411 diameter bullets first and see if they will chamber in a dummy round then you will know how far off you may be on the chamber and throat dimensions. If a .411 won't work, you can try a .408, then a .406...what you should try and determine is if you have enough brass thickness that you could neck turn your brass to compensate for a grossly oversized bullet. We had to do that with the 40-82's and it's worked great. But before we could do that, we had to determine just how much to take off of the brass. That would give you more options than trying to get bullet upset. There are ways to get your bullets sized up...a few thousandths, and if you can get them to chamber you would be better off IMO to go that route. If you want a few bullets to try, I have some at .406, .4085, .410, and .411 I'll send you for trials sake. PM me with your address and I'll send a few of each to you.

Ed
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Thank you all for the replies. Good info...and quick. I'm going to the range tomorrow to generate some brass from factory PMC 260s, which I know are at .406. I don't expect them to shoot worth a darn, but it was almost cheaper to buy the loaded ammo than the brass, and way more fun. Anyway, I should be able to tell a lot from the fire-formed cases, mainly chamber dimensions and case wall thickness, thus answering a few pending questions.

Kansas Ed,
I would like to take you up on your offer but I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings. I don't even have dies ordered yet because I don't know the specifics and whether I'll have to order custom dies. I'm pretty sure the RCBS Cowboy dies are designed for 0.410" bullets which is probably as high as I'll be able to go anyway.

Montana Bullet lists a 300gr (0.410 - 0.412) flat point GC designed for the 405 Win that looks like it would work. It may be on the long end for the 1:20 twist though. I wonder it they'd make me a softer batch without the GC...

Beartooth has four 41 bullets that'll go 0.411 to 0.412, but they are all hard cast GCs too.

The most depressing information I have so far is a Handloader article by Ken Chapman where he had a 0.412 bore '81 and found the only option was to ream the chamber neck :shock:, and made his own custom bullet molds. Cha-ching!! I'll go to BP or duplex loads before I go to that extreme.
Chad
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Chad, measure the OD and ID of the brass neck after you fire it tomorrow. It should give you some indication on how tight the chamber is.

Ed
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Check http://www.buffaloarms.com
They have alot of unordinary stuff for making these old guns shoot.
You might also talk with Dave at MBW and see if he's got some bullets that drop from the mold at your bore diameter. Then you could just pan lube them.
Smokeless will bump up a bullet but it'll leave lead in the throat, just like bp does if the bullet doesn't fit, so it'll be best if you can come up with at least a bore diameter bullet.
Accurate does/did have data available for the 40-65 on their web site.

Lyman's 40-65 dies do the .410 diameter.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have two rifles that I have regularly shot undersize bullets in. The first is a 38-55 with a .381 groove diameter that I can shoot .379 bullets in accurately (5 shot groups at 100 yards that are less than 3"). The second is a Springfield 45-70 with a .461 groove diameter than I can accurately shoot .457 bullets in (5 shot groups of just over 1" at 100 yards). There are two ways that I do it.

First, you can bump up a bullet provided it is a soft cast bullet and you use SR4759 powder or something with a similar burn rate. That is what I do for my 38-55. The alloy is pure wheel weights or else pure lead with a wee bit of tin added. With this combination, I have not had any leading in my throat or bore and have gotten 5 shot groups of around 2 & 1/2" at 100 yards.

The second option is to use cream of wheat filler, which is what I do for the springfield. My bullets are .004 undersize to the groove diameter and made of pure wheel weights with a wee bit of tin added. Without the cream of wheat filler, I get groups at 100 yards of about 6" and the holes are slightly elliptical, due to wobbling bullets. With the cream of wheat filler, I can get groups of just over 1" at 100 yards. With cream of wheat filler, I use a slower powder which in my case is IMR 3031 and loaded to give traditional BP velocities.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

In my search for accuracy with the .40-65 cartridge, I made my own bushing type neck sizing die and used the RCBS expander to just bell the case mouth.

In my Browning 1885 BPCR there was no problem with fitting to the chamber so it came down to bullet pull. five shot 100yd. groups under 1" with the factory tang and globe were the norm (on a good day) after I worked up the load. :D

You are on the right path. Many try to get these old rifles to shoot without understanding the difficulties involved.
Good luck! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now that is curious - does the filler act as a paper patch do you think??
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Mpre likely the filler acts as a gas seal protecting the base of the bullet and making gas cutting on the base and sides of the bullet less of an issue.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Don McDowell wrote:Mpre likely the filler acts as a gas seal protecting the base of the bullet and making gas cutting on the base and sides of the bullet less of an issue.
I think Don is right on the money.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

How about trying a paper patch?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Now I'm scratching my head...

Before firing, the neck is 0.426"
After firing, the neck is 0.4265"
Inside diameter after firing is 0.4045"
Case wall thickness is 0.011"

It would seem there was no expansion of the case at the neck. There are no signs of gas/fouling on the brass, so it was sealed.

Out of 20 shots of the PMC .406 ammo, at 50 and 100 yards, I only hit 6 on my 14" target, scattered - they certainly were not grouping. I couldn't here them tumbling though.

I guess I have some experimenting to do to figure this one out. I appreciate all of the advice / comments and will be incorporating many of these suggestions into my loads.

Vall (marlinman93) also PM'd me some thoughts, saying he's successfully loaded and chambered 0.412 bullets in his 1881s, using Lyman dies.

So I'll start with Lyman or RCBS Cowboy dies, 411 or 412 soft cast (~ 1:30), and try both with and without COW filler. I just have to decide which powder to use, but most likely 5744 or 4759.
Chad
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I think 5744 and 4759 are a little too fast for cream of wheat filler. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I prefer to use slower powders like IMR 3031 with cream of wheat filler. This is to keep the pressure down. It never hurts to be cautious. You can either bump up a soft cast bullet with a faster powder, or you can use the COW filler as a gas check and use slower powder. One or the other. Don't use COW with a fast powder.

One thing I did for my 40-82 was to stick my cases in a chuck and file down the outside diameter of the neck, so that I could chamber larger diameter bullets. If you took your case neck wall thickness down to .009, you could chamber a bullet that was .004 larger. Here's a photo of the finished 40-82 cartridges with the reduced neck O.D. That allowed me to chamber .411 diameter bullets (which were significantly oversize for my bore, by the way and, as a result, gave poor accuracy).

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

KirkD wrote:I think 5744 and 4759 are a little too fast for cream of wheat filler. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I prefer to use slower powders like IMR 3031 with cream of wheat filler. This is to keep the pressure down. It never hurts to be cautious. You can either bump up a soft cast bullet with a faster powder, or you can use the COW filler as a gas check and use slower powder. One or the other. Don't use COW with a fast powder.
OK. I got it. Thank you VERY much for clarifying that for me. I've still got a lot to learn regarding the whats, whens and hows of powders. But don't worry, I have a large and ever-growning reference library so I'll study a bit before I proceed.
Chad
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Teflon tape wrapping of the bullets helped my 38-72's accuracy immensely.

Ed
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

71fan,

I think there might be one thing that nobody has mentioned. Waaaaaaaay back in the days of yore the ammo manufacturers used very soft, the 30-1 alloy you mentioned, hollow based lead bullets.
Between the soft alloy and the hollow bases the bullets would easily bump up to seal the bore and engrave the rifling.
I don't know positively, but if you got any original lead bullet factory ammo I'll bet the bullets are hollow based.
That is why they got away with such a great variation in grove diameters.

Other than getting a custom HB mold built I have no suggestions, this was just an observation I came up with.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

71fan,

Lyman has a 412263 bullet mould for the .405 Win that throws a 288 gr bullet.
You could probably stick a shim to the mould face to increase the diameter a bit.
This is a pretty common practice over on the cast boolit forum.
You would then need to outside turn or ream your case necks to make them a bit thinner.
I think that Forster will make a custom sized reamer for any size.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... entryID=68

Jack
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

jhrosier , Lots of guys try the shim between the blocks trick but not many report success with that method. You just end up with a out of round bullet that don`t shoot well anyway.
A mold can be lapped out to a larger size by a few thousandths and that does work pretty good.

I think a soft bullet and relatively fast powder is the best bet. Neck turning is also a good way to go once you have a proper bullet. :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd have to agree regarding shimming the mould. I think it is a bad idea. I ended up throwing a bunch of those back into my scrap lead box. The cross section of the bullet is oval. Shimming only increases the diameter in one direction and does nothing for the other direction.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I shoot that Lyman bullet in my 405, it drops from the mold at .413. Montana bullet works also sells that bullet cast from hard or soft lead. I also size it down to use in the wifes 40-65 roller and it shoots well.
The hunter 412 300 gr fp's work fair, but do better with you seat the gas check.

You may want to get some of Montana bullet works bullets in .412 or larger diameter, and start with some 5744 powder.
I pulled the bullets from a couple of boxes of the PMC ammo to have the fresh brass , they look to be charged with 4198. They shot terrible and leading was horrific in the .408 groove of the roller.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you're not in a great hurry I need to run another batch of those lymans from 20-1 I could send you a handful to try. Have a few ready to roll right now, but they are from Lyman #2.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Don McDowell wrote:If you're not in a great hurry I need to run another batch of those lymans from 20-1 I could send you a handful to try. Have a few ready to roll right now, but they are from Lyman #2.
Don,
Thank you very much for the offer. I may take you up on it later. Ed is sending me some various sizes so I can determine the largest diameter I can chamber. I'd hate for you to send me a bullet I can't chamber. Anyway, I'm not sure I like that roundnose design in the tube magazine and it may be too long. I'll have to do a little research. The '81 is is a bit intolerant of increasing OAL.
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

this is not so much a suggestion as it is a question, but what about swaging existing bullets to the fatter diameter?

would it be possible to buy a swaging die and use it in a regular press, or, maybe rig up a vise to crush them?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Take your bullet mold to a machine shop and have them chuck it up in 4 jaw chuck and dial it in a lathe and cut only the last band . Remember if you need .008 , only cut .004 because that is .004 from each side . I make all my match mold in a lathe like the one below ...

Image..Image
Image......Image
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

El Chivo wrote:this is not so much a suggestion as it is a question, but what about swaging existing bullets to the fatter diameter?

would it be possible to buy a swaging die and use it in a regular press, or, maybe rig up a vise to crush them?
Some of the bullets I'm sending Chad that was done to. I use a bushing of the ID I'm after, and which is a little shorter than the length of the bullet. I use it on a small arbor press in my garage. They are pretty hard bullets and still swage easily. I'm taking them up about .005" doing it this way, and can do 3-4 bullets a minute without any problem.

Ed
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Kansas Ed wrote:
Some of the bullets I'm sending Chad that was done to. I use a bushing of the ID I'm after, and which is a little shorter than the length of the bullet. I use it on a small arbor press in my garage. They are pretty hard bullets and still swage easily. I'm taking them up about .005" doing it this way, and can do 3-4 bullets a minute without any problem.
Ed

Ed,
Great idea. In the past I have successfully used a "stop" inside of a cartridge case in combination with a seating die to bump up bullets. Here's something I wrote recently about it....
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 035.0.html

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

71fan,
I have a '73 Winchester made in 1882 which has a similar bullet / groove diameter to your rifle's.....bullet diameter .428" / groove diameter .433". I purchase that vintage Winchester 10 years ago along with some Winchester Cowboy Ammunition (.428" diameter bullets). My first trip to the range indicated that something was amiss.....all bullets keyholed at 25 yards.
I then slugged the barrel and found out what the problem was.

Since this ammunition would not work in my rifle, I decided to pull the bullets and try using PSB (Poly Shot Buffer) to act as a gas check. I replaced the powder with slower burning 4227 then filled the case with PSB up to 1/2 way up the case neck. What a difference! 5 rounds printed into a 5/8" group @ 25 yards! :D

The PSB had worked to keep the gases behind the undersized bullet, allowing it to center itself and transverse the oversized barrel undisturbed. Since that time, I have used PSB in a .32-40, .38-40, .45-60 with much less than perfect barrels, and in each case it worked very well. :D

Good luck,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

w30wcf,
That's a great idea, and doesn't require any additional outlay to speak of. The arbor press I'm using is one of these..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3552

and I've had it for years. I don't use it a lot, but is irreplaceable when I do need it.

Ed
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

This is great...so much good information and ideas.

OK, so my next step is to confirm my throat size. I'm having a hard time believing the cases didn't expand...but they didn't. If my throat truly is .426", and my bore is .4145, that means I'd have to turn my necks from 0.011 down to 0.007" just to fit a 0.412 bullet. The optimum bullet size of 0.415 would require case walls of 0.0055".

I'm skeptical that either of these wall thickness will perform without splitting :?:

So is there a home-grown way to determing my chamber dimensions at my throat with normal garage tools and supplies? I was thinking of driving an oversize lead fishing weight into the chamber until it barely engages the rifling, which I can measure (distance-wise) with a marked cleaning rod from the breech. Also, a .430 bullet may work as well, which I have plenty of. What do you think?
Chad
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

You'll be fine with a neck wall thickness of .009, but do not go lower than that or you will eventually have split necks. I'm confident that the shortfall in bullet diameter will be made up for by cream of wheat or poly shot buffer. I use cream of wheat in my springfield to make up the shortfall because it's cheap like borscht, and it works beautifully. If your bullet diameter shortfall is really as bad as your preliminary measurements predict, then I'm skeptical that you will be able to bump up a soft cast bullet sufficiently to get good results, but I'm very confident that COW with the right powder will work nicely. I prefer about 1/2" of COW between the bullet and the powder. That means you need to use a slow enough powder to fill the rest of the case. Hope that makes sense.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

+1 on what Kirk relays. My 40-82's are at .008 thick, and after about 4 loadings some are starting to crack at the mouth. Due to the firm crimp I believe, combined with the thin mouth. Though you are using 40-65 brass which is much more plentiful than what I shoot, so it may not matter so much to you especially since you can do 1 stroke of 45-70 brass in your dies and have 40-65 brass. My initial tests with different fillers in the 40-72 also supports his conclusions. Out of a couple of different fillers, and wads I've used, the COW does seem to protect the base, where as wads and conventional loadings tend to lead up. As soon as you get your dies load up some dummy rounds and see which will chamber, then go from there. You may get lucky and only need to take a couple thou off of your brass.

ED
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hate fillers, mostly because I am a volumn shooter and load just about everything on progressives. The German in me gives me little patience. The Italian in me gives lazyness. :D

Over the years when encountering rifles with fat bores and skinny chambers, I do one of two things.

1.) order an inside neck reamer from Forster. This may not work in your case.

2.) Shorten the brass and load the fattest bullet the chamber will take. In 38-55's, I use expanded 30-30 brass. These come up short but I just load the bullet out to the proper oal. The "skinny" part of the chamber is usually only the last 1/16"-1/8" or so.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Since the .44-40 and some other dash cartridges have necks in the .007" range and, in my experience, some brass can be reloaded up to 10 times with no split necks, while others may last 5 or so reloadings before the neck starts to split, the quality of the brass has a great deal to do with fatigue. I now anneal after 5 reloadings and my brass now seems to last indefinitely................ :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

If your throat is too small get it fixed. Only needs to be done once as opposed to a lifetime of trying to make undersized bullets work.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Chad , you could do a partial chamber/throat cast with cerrosafe. Just cast enough to get a good groove measurement and chamber/throat diameter. Then you'll have a better idea about what you're working with.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

71fan wrote:
The most depressing information I have so far is a Handloader article by Ken Chapman where he had a 0.412 bore '81 and found the only option was to ream the chamber neck :shock:, and made his own custom bullet molds. Cha-ching!! I'll go to BP or duplex loads before I go to that extreme.
71fan, Can you make a copy of the article or give me the issue number?

I think my brother, Jim Chapman, in Ann Arbor area (Yipsilanti?) has that rifle, while I have one of Dad's
Marlin 1895 .40-65. Mine uses a gas checked 310 gr. .413" that Bernie Rowles made for me after Ken died.
It shoots better than I can aim when using softer than wheelweight lead!
Ray
otteray
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I sure don't want to mess with the throat on this nice old rifle. I'll try very hard to avoid that.

A HUGE thank you to Kansas Ed for the care package he sent me -- THANK YOU ED.

I ordered the dies and some Cerrosafe tonight so I'm on hold until I get that stuff.
Chad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

otteray wrote:
71fan wrote:
71fan, Can you make a copy of the article or give me the issue number?

I think my brother, Jim Chapman, in Ann Arbor area (Yipsilanti?) has that rifle, while I have one of Dad's
Marlin 1895 .40-65. Mine uses a gas checked 310 gr. .413" that Bernie Rowles made for me after Ken died.
It shoots better than I can aim when using softer than wheelweight lead!
Ray
PM sent. I'm happy to oblige.

I'm interested in your 310 gr. bullets - do you know the twist in the 1895?
Chad
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

You're quite welcome. Glad to be of help. W30wcf sent me a similar care package awhile back that I really appreciated. It's good if we can all support each other in our shooting endeavors. Keep us informed.

Ed
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

71fan wrote:
I'm interested in your 310 gr. bullets - do you know the twist in the 1895?
I think the Marlin .40-65, .40-70 and .40-82 are all 1 in 20 twist.
otteray
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Kansas Ed, what's the shipping on a 1 TON Arbor Press?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

El Chivo wrote:Kansas Ed, what's the shipping on a 1 TON Arbor Press?
LOL...ask Griff....he's in the business.

Ed
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Update:

I made a chamber cast with Cerrosafe tonight, and it confirmed what I already knew - no big revelations, except bore size is even bigger at the breech end.

So the following numbers are pretty solid now, based on a combination of slugging, fire-forming brass, and chamber casting:
Throat: 0.4265"
Bore at breech end: 0.4155"
Bore at muzzle end: 0.4135"
Groove depth: 0.008"

My first 1881 (sold) had a tapered bore so the different bore sizes at muzzle and breech don't surprise me. Obviously when you slug the barrel you'll just get the smallest diameter, but the camber cast shows that there is a taper. (My other '81 tapered from 0.414" to 0.412".)

I'm still waiting on dies, which should come in a couple of days.

To be continued...
Chad
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

IF yo cast a soft bullet 30 or 40-1 and use BLACK powder the bullet will bump up and give reasonable accuracy. Smokless powders have not done so well for me in bumping up the slug. What has worked is a hollow base slug, but I don't know who is making a mould like that now. I used a swedging die to put a hollow base in my 45's and had good results shooting these in a trapdoor with a 460 bore. Remember if this is an original rifle the twist is suited to a 260 gran or so bullet and NOT the 330's that follks use now in the 40-65.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Chad it's looking like you're going to need to get a custom mold from Mtn Moulds, or Old West Bullet Moulds.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Update...

With the bullets Kansas Ed sent me I was able to determine the largest bullet that will chamber is a .407, and that is very tight.

I am ordering a neck cutter and an inside neck reamer from Forster to shave down to ~0.008 neck thickness so I can fit a 0.411 bullet, then Kirk D's COW filler advice will (hopefully) get me up to the ~0.415 bore. I will order up some very soft .411 bullets and see how things go before I invest in a mold.

Wish me luck, and Thanks again to everyone for the advice!
Chad
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Give the shot buffer a try, I think you'll like it a lot better than the COW.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'm not sure that an inside neck reamer is any better than an outside neck file (fine file), and the inside neck reamer is a lot more expensive. I've done the outside neck file (put the case in a chuck, spin it up to medium speed, and apply a fine file to the neck, moving the file slowly up and down the neck as the case turns. About a minute of that is all that is needed. I mic the neck thickness to get it down to .010.