JReed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

JReed

Post by mescalero1 »

JReed,
How " waterproof " are GI ammo cans?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: JReed

Post by mescalero1 »

Does not have to be JReed if you know the answer.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

It depends, I have had to send ammo back when I was in the army that had dented and leaked water just from falling in a mud puddle. Other times, I have known people who have found barried cans that people have put pictures and stuff in and it was dry from the 70's.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That is why I asked the question, as I have also experienced both.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The key is the rubber seal, it must be in good shape, not dry rotted. A dented can is less likely to seal (depending on dent location). If the can is well painted, not dented near the top and the rubber is in good condition you can use one as a flotation device for at least 2 8 hour shifts. I did just that while working as a safety swimmer for combat water survival testing. Resting on it in the middle of the pool between the three stations allowed me to observe all the stations and be ready to assist the station safety guy if necessary. I used it because it is what I had... :roll:

I store my ammo in one. If you put the stuff in a cave/mine shaft in a relatively dry area it should work indefinitely. I've seen good rubber on some 50 year old cans.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

All of mine have good rubber, no dents.
Need to move ammo in the bed of pickup, Phoenix to N.M.
It is monsoon season here.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If the cans are in good shape, and the seal if not rotted or cut, they should do the job. Might want to consider putting some absorbant packs in. It you change altitude much, or if it's humid when you pack them, and it gets cold, you might have some condensation.

I know one fellow who got radical, and hooked up a tubing fitting to the top. He pulled a vacuum on the can and then pressured it up a bit with nitrogen. But he was thinking very, very long term storage.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

What I do with mine if I am not sure about them is to place a large "garbage" bag in the ammo can and then place the ammo inside the bag.Tie the bag up and seal it and close the can,this usually works.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Every one beat me to the answer. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis