OT-Need help ID'ing an old single shot .22 pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Need help ID'ing an old single shot .22 pistol

Post by awp101 »

Not a lever but I hope one of the gurus of old single shots might be able to ID this...

Picked this up last summer:

No markings other than "12" stamped on breech block and backstrap, single shot, chambers a .22LR (but I only fired shorts the one time I had it out IIRC), breech block opens to the left, manual extractor on the right, approximately 7-8" barrel, approximately 12" overall, dovetail front sight, dovetail rear sight with a set screw.

I don't recognize the action and I can't find anything in my DeHaas books. Any ideas?

Here's a shot with the grips someone was trying to make for it:

The grips need final fitting to the frame as well as grip screw estucheons, grip screw and fitting to the individuals hand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!:D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That looks like one of those European imports, often seen in ads and the old Stoeger atalogs of the 1950's & 60's.

IIRC, it was described as ether a "target" or a "parlor" pistol.

I'm sure there's a rimfire junkie, over on www.rimfirecentral.com who'll know exactly, or have one.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks Pete44, I posted it there about the same time I posted it here.:D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

awp101,

The overall appearance of your gun does not look familiar. The breechblock & extractor, however, do look like something that I have seen.

What you have sure looks like a genuine, factory-made gun. There was a time when "bicycle guns" were all the rage. They were singleshot, and, basically, bare-bones firearms. There are probably many permutations on the design.

There is a gun dealer here, in Slidell, who has a "bicycle"-type handgun, with proportions simlar to yours. He buys a few novel firearms sometimes, and that funny singleshot caught his fancy. This dealer is a Deputy first, so his shop is open odd hours. I will try to find out more about his gun, with the hope that it will shed light on yours.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bump for the evening crowd...:D

Right now the leading theory is it was either a prototype that never made it or someone's personal project.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at