OT--some--What are the most expensive guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--some--What are the most expensive guns?

Post by getitdone1 »

I recently mentioned going to a gun auction and a Henry rifle sold for $28,500.00. I know some guns go a lot higher. 10X and more !

One that comes to mind is the SxS double rifle Teddy Roosevelt used on his famous African Safari around 1909. Few years ago I heard what it was valued at but don't recall. Maybe 500,000 then and now over 1 million. Expect someone here knows.

I suppose one of my favorite guns would be a genuine Winchester model 1886 SRC, 45-70 in like new condition--or close. Suppose I'd have to cough-up maybe 50,000 for that one.

Another one most of use would like to have would be a 1st generation Colt SAA in excellent to mint condition. What would it go for?

Expect this thread will bring forth some very, very expensive guns. Well...we hope so.

Don McCullough
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Check out the prices of a new Holland and Holland Royal Ejector grade double rifles these days... well over $200,000.00
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The most expensive gun is the non-shooter antique that some rich loon is willing to spend too much money on.... :roll:

(genuine provinanced historical pieces excepted...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nope ! The most expensive gun is the one ya come across when you're flat broke ! ;)
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Old Ironsights wrote:The most expensive gun is the non-shooter antique that some rich loon is willing to spend too much money on.... :roll:

Thank those rich loons for preserving cool pieces of history. If they were cheap some bone head would drill and tap them so they could mount some cheap Chinese scope on it.
Last edited by win40-82 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Any rifle or(especially) a single action Colt that can be proven to have been issued to a trooper in the 7th Cav. and was used at Little Big Horn...quarter million to start...
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

"Nope ! The most expensive gun is the one ya come across when you're flat broke ! "

Ha! Spoken by someone who has been there and understood by those of us who have been there also. :wink:

Some of the most expensive I have seen were custom drillings. Those Europeans know how to make a nice firearm.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

A Singer M1911A1 recently sold for $80,500.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

win40-82 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:The most expensive gun is the non-shooter antique that some rich loon is willing to spend too much money on.... :roll:

Thank those rich loons for preserving cool pieces of history. If they were cheap some bone head would drill and tap them so they could mount some cheap Chinese scope on it.
I excepted genuine historical pieces. I'm talking about some of the Blinged out antique junk - with no historical value - that gets bid-up at auction to absolutely absurd prices... sometimes more than 98%, original-maker, provinanced to a historical person custom job...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OD wrote:A Singer M1911A1 recently sold for $80,500.
Howdy O.D. Ain't heard from you in awhile! Anyway, (my right hand to the Lord) I know a guy whose father-in-law gave him a .45 about 8 -10 years ago. This guy's father is my buddy. Yep, it was a Singer, 1 of 500. He has had a 40 G offer on it so far.-----------Sixgun (jack)
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well, I guess this is a pretty cheap gun, but I know where there is an original S&W Schofield for sale in 95% condition (all original) for $17,500. I would dearly love to get my hands on that old sixgun, but I'm about $17,300 short. :?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Colt Walker, Patterson, Winchester 1873 1 of 100, 1 of 1000, historical guns of the old west: they bring what ever a collector is willing to pay, especially if two of the top whales want it. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My Dad's old service revolver, carried as a Special Agent for the FBI back before LEO's switched to semi-automatic pistols.

Just a Smith & Wesson Model 19. But I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks...
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Sixgun wrote:
OD wrote:A Singer M1911A1 recently sold for $80,500.
Howdy O.D. Ain't heard from you in awhile! Anyway, (my right hand to the Lord) I know a guy whose father-in-law gave him a .45 about 8 -10 years ago. This guy's father is my buddy. Yep, it was a Singer, 1 of 500. He has had a 40 G offer on it so far.-----------Sixgun (jack)
Howdy Jack,

Man, why couldn't we have FIL's like that? :wink:
You'll have to show your friends these links;
Lot# 3692
http://www.rockislandauction.com/auction.aspx?aid=42
http://www.rockislandauction.com/upload ... eb_514.pdf
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I figure the most expensive gun would have to be the one that does not fire when you need it too. It could cost you everything!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My father in law has a 1848 1st edition "Dragoon", the first of the shorter Walker's, serial # 1347. Turns out it's original, he bought it off of an old farmer in 1947 for $5. It is in probably 95% shape, the blue is still there even on the barrel, just starting to go patina in small places. My father kept it in a cardboard box on a shelf in a closet for 56 years, forgot all about it. He gave it to me to take apart and clean, make sure it all worked. When I went to the NRA show in Milwaukee a couple of years ago, I mentioned it to one of the reps at the Colt booth. He brought me and the Colt to an appraiser. He checked it out and as he double checked the authenticity, the color left his face and he started to stammer. Sucker was so cherry and it turned out legit, he said it could be worth a $100k to the right person.

When traveled back to my father in law's and told him it was an original, he said "dang, lets go shoot it!" Now once every other month I go up to clean, oil, and wipe it. One of these days I'll tell him what the rep said it was worth.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ysabel Kid wrote:My Dad's old service revolver, carried as a Special Agent for the FBI back before LEO's switched to semi-automatic pistols.

Just a Smith & Wesson Model 19. But I wouldn't sell it for a million bucks...
Your Dad had some class Ysabel! :) Serious family treasure there.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Old Time,

Better clue him in before he sells it to buy a tank of gas.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I think I recall a 45 caliber Luger #2 serial number going for 1.5 Million. That has got to be close. I would just as soon have the 1886 SRC that belonged to Captain John R. Hughes of the Texas Rangers myself. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I think these rifles are a little pricey...for me, at least:

Madcaster
Levergunner

Some I remember reading about,

Post by Madcaster »

A Luger in .45 ACP,one of 2 made for testing by the US Army is valued at a million,cased Colt Cap & ball revolvers engraved,seen on the History Channel,really high,just don't remember the value.
Old flintlock rifles by famous makers,several at half a million plus....CLA President can tell you more...
Just sit down and look through Gun List,English doubles are regularly high.
Serial #1 of the Colt SAA is way up there!
A guy in Alaska made a flintlock rifle for a fella in Virginia and it cost about $55,000.00
Pretty big field of values here!
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Check out John Rigby & Co. Paso Robles, CA. They have rifles that start around $10,000 for a bolt action and doubles for around $40,000 but mostly and up! The claw scope mount for the double is $1,500. I wouldn't even ask about the shotguns. But then these are new made to order stuff. The most I ever spent on a rifle was $1,800 what a pauper!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

RSY wrote:I think these rifles are a little pricey...for me, at least:

I'll bet you'd be shootin' it off all willy nilly on New Years eve too RSY?! I can see it now, "Apartment complex leveled as partygoer rings in new year. New ban on large Naval Weapons imminent" :wink: :wink:
No, I'm not awake yet 8)
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Ysabel,

Regarding your dad's S&W model 19. I had one and may have another. Possibly my favorite handgun. Too, the 357 cartridge helps. Big fan of that cartridge. Absolute tops in the Browning B-92. And it's another gun I'll just have to have--again.

Don McCullough
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Time Hunter wrote: he said it could be worth a $100k to the right person.

When traveled back to my father in law's and told him it was an original, he said "dang, lets go shoot it!" Now once every other month I go up to clean, oil, and wipe it. One of these days I'll tell him what the rep said it was worth.
You'd dadgummed better tell him before he trades if for a used lawn mower.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

He told me that when it comes time to meet his maker, he'd leave it to me along with a couple of other "old" guns none of his male offspring deem worthy (if they are not Ninja style, they don't want 'em).

The other two are an original Henry Leman Trade full stock percussion .52 caliber made in 1838 and a 1818 Kentucky Flinter pistol (.69 caliber) both are very servicable, especially the Flinter pistol looks almost new. My father in law has a propensity to rummage around estate sales in the back woods, bought these at different times over the course of his 75 years.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've shot a lot of Best Quality English Doubles, never owned any nor have I ever really wanted to. I get more pleasure taking a well used ordinary working gun into the field, no worries about dinging the stock etc.

Of course if someone gave me a really expensive gun I would be delighted but I reckon it wouldn't be long before I sold it to acquire a gun or guns I would hunt with rather than just look at!

Plus if you miss with a $50 single shot you might just get away with blaming the gun. Hard to do with a $50,000 gun! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I RECENTLY READ JOHN WAYNES RIFLE IN THE MOVIE "STAGECOACH"
WENT FOR $113,000
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

The most expensive gun is the one you need, but don't have with you.

bogie