Wanted Nebraska-Deer Hunting Location(s) this fall

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Wanted Nebraska-Deer Hunting Location(s) this fall

Post by 3t- »

Folks.

I've been away from Deer hunting for over 20 years and would like to get back into the sport. Having not hunted in so long I have lost contact with old hunting spots, many are no longer available to me. So, I'm looking for a good private land owner that takes customers for the upcoming rifle deer season. I am not looking for a full package, guided Trophy hunt. Just a low key arrangement with some guidance and assistance handling the animal if I am able to get one down.

I would appreciate any recommendations or contact info from the Nebraska folks on the board. There are quite a few "either sex" permits still available state wide so location is not too big a concern. Close to a small town hotel or basic on site accommodations would work.
regards

3T
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Wanted Nebraska-Deer Hunting Location(s) this fall

Post by 3t- »

bump for the weekend :)
regards

3T
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CHECK OUT HUNTING.NET FORUM AND SCROLL DOWN TO THE REGIONAL FORUMS
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks RIHMFIRE I'll give it a look.
regards

3T
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Having grown up as a cowboy in the Sandhills of Nebraska and never really getting civilized despite becoming a surgeon, I subscribe to NEBRASKAland magazine - put out by the Game and Parks Commission and I would guess the best info could be available there. HQ in Lincoln is (402) 471-0641 and web site is www.OutdoorNebraska.org -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks OJ

Yep, great read. I've let my subscription laps the last few years, not sure why :? , grew up reading it. Been a Cornhusker myself for 45+ years, born here and except for a few years out of state for work have never lived anywhere else. My dads father was born in a small town in south central Nebraska and live 94 years within 2 miles of the house he was born in. Guess you could say the state is in my genes.

I've done a little looking around out west for some hunting opportunities this year but for this year they are a bit expensive for what I am looking for. A bare bones hunt with no lodging and no meals (not looking for that anyway) will run you at least $1500 for a 3 day hunt. Maybe someday just not this year if I can avoid it. Pretty country for sure, I do some traveling out in the Sandhills for my work and took the family out that way last fall for a week in a cabin at a ranch 20 miles north of Mullen. 6000 acres of fun for the whole family!

I'll keep lookin and askin around. Something will come up. I'd like to start up an annual hunt with at a nice place that I can bring my kids into when they are of age.
regards

3T
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Glad to hear from you - particularly about being near Mullen. I still have family living there and ranching north of Mullen - Ericksens, Coxes, and others. Sadly, it looks like Ted Turner is trying to buy the country out - he pays high prices for what he buys - thus raising the appraised value of land and taxes for the ranchers.

I grew up about 25 miles from Mullen - we had lots of pheasants, ducks, rabbits to shoot but not many deer then.. deer came in when the CCC planted trees south of Seneca or Thedford in the depression days of the 30s.

I was nearly 16 before I considered doing anything but being what I'd always been - a cowboy - even put in two years at the Nebraska School of Agriculture at Curtis.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Yep Ted T is sure got his sights set on that area. That trip up the highway north going out of Mullen is pretty. We stayed on the ranch of Jim and Pat Bridges, very nice folks. They said that the ranch has been in her family for several generations, I think her grand or great grandfather was a physician who moved to that area and did the circuit doctoring throughout the sandhills. Pat told us that ranchers would time having babies to coincide with his being in their area.

I work with a Gentleman that grew up south of Mullen. Would have been in the 30's and 40's. He recently sold his family ranch when his mother passed. He can sure tell the stories. Went to Mullen when he was 13 to go to school and only got home to the ranch at holidays. He said you grow up fast, almost too fast.

Would be nice to retire out that way. But I'm afraid that by the time I can retire, if I every am able to :o , the area may be know as Turnerville. :lol:
regards

3T
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

3T
Been away from the computer for a while and didn't see this. Are you looking at the regular firearm season or the antlerless only season choice? If you are just looking to hunt and put meat in the freezer the season choice is the way to go. Hard to get in anywhere for the regular season, but if you wanted to hunt the late SC in January I will see what I can do.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks for the offer to help. I'm just looking for meat hunts this year so am going to pick up a SC tag or two. If I come up with a good recipe for antlers, the ones I've tasted in the past weren't too tender, I may go for a buck next year. :lol: I'm going to look at a spot or two down in Cass county this next month but would also be interested in things out your way as it is pretty close to my Mom's place so I could hit it a couple times in Jan. If I can find a heavy cover spot I may even carry that .44mag trapper you helped me into last year.

Send any info my way.
regards

3T