So Reloading Really, Really Does Pay Off

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

So Reloading Really, Really Does Pay Off

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: So Reloading Really, Really Does Pay Off

Post by 2ndovc »

That bench is so clean it borders on obsession!

:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I envy you guys with clean reloading benches. Very nice, 1886.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Arkansas Bob wrote:Is it true what they say? Its not any chepper you just get to shoot a lot more.

That sounds about right
----- Doug
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

2ndovc wrote:That bench is so clean it borders on obsession!

jb 8)
Not really. You see, my bench is in our finished basement and the wife agreed to it only on the condition, "I keep it clean or it's gone!" As a husband of 36 years, I understand which fights to pick and which to avoid. This one was a no-win issue so I agreed. Besides, it really does make it easy to find things because everything has it's place. :mrgreen:
Steve
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

If my wife see's that reloading bench ... I'm done, stick a fork in me. That is terrifyingly clean and organized.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

More bangs for the buck when you reload, not necessarily a saving, but more practice, better shot in the long run and the satisfaction of shooting a game animal cleanly with a round you made yourself. Win win all around. my .02
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The savings varys depending on caliber, obviously, but I thought I'd throw this out for you guys. Federal brand ammo for my 470NE is about $340.00 for a 20 round box at Midway. I can cast my own bullets and load them to the same accuracy and power level as the Federal ammo for $7.00/20 rounds. BIG savings there. I would never shoot it if I had to buy factory ammo. And if I never shot it, I may as well sell it.
NRA Life Member
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I believe that you forgot to include the $75 per hour that you save in therapy cost. Or has it gone up?
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

rhead wrote:I believe that you forgot to include the $75 per hour that you save in therapy cost. Or has it gone up?
More to that statement than you think.

When I still was working, my last job had an enormous amount of stress. The Dr. said that I needed to do something to reduce it or else! Well, like many, I tried a bit of 'self medication' consisting of a few good shots when I got home but that got old quickly and in truth didn't help either.

One day I came home in a rush as usual but went down to the basement to load up some ammo for a shoot I'd forgot about the next day. I only did a couple hundred rounds in about 3/4 hr but my wife noticed the minute that I came up the stairs that I was considerably more relaxed.

When she mentioned it I stopped and realized that yes, I was relaxed and more so than I'd been after work in months. Long story short, when I'd have a 'day', I'd come home and just reload whatever for 1/2 hour or so. That was enough to let the frustrations and issues of the day float away.

Next time I saw the Dr. he commented that I appeared much more relaxed and I told him how I was doing it. He's not found of the whole 'gun thing' but allowed as how it really worked for me and he recommended that I keep doing it. Jokingly, I asked him for a prescription for reloading to reduce stress and he laughed and then wrote one up for me. I have it tucked away safely and sometimes show it when people ask me why I reload.
Steve
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I really doubt if that is his bench. I think it is a photo shot for Better Homes and Garden magazine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

JerryB wrote:I really doubt if that is his bench. I think it is a photo shot for Better Homes and Garden magazine.
It's real and I've produced just at 100,000 rds of 7 different calibers from it in the last 8 yrs too.
Steve
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Really good break down ya did there. Should help the none believers.

But I can't agree about the enjoyment of reloading. I consider it a necessary evil. Reloading is one of the main reasons I am re-entertaining the idea a lever/pump/semi .22 mag as my "almost everyday" field gun. Including for yotes. Been there, done that and swore I'd never try it again but..........

LK
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice bench Steve, Thats the way I like my stuff too---organized.

Everyone I have got into reloading has come back to me with gratitude. They all have the same words---relaxing & rewarding. :D Saving money is secondary but mostly primary with me as when I want to shoot--I shoot---with no thoughts as to ammo consumption. If I want to shoot 200 45-70s and 200 38-55's, (or whatever) I shoot 'em. I never go to the gunclub with less than 4-500 rounds of ammo.

Sure, I have some serious dollars wrapped up in reloading equipment , moulds etc., but I guess its better than hanging out at the bar and depositing it in the urinal. :wink: ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Steve if ya'll ever get to north Arkansaw I sure would like you to stop by and give me a hand with my bench. Everytime I startto clear it off I end up with more stacked on it. That is a fine looking set up. I like the gallon jugs for brass storage.
I was not serious in my first post, reckon maybe I need to learn to use the little faces or just not say anything.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That's why my shop has a loading room.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

L_Kinkenny,
Have you tried a Remington 597 ..Mag.?
Really like mine.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

mescalero1, Haven't seen one yet. Or I'd own it! It's on the wish list. A local shop quoted me $419 but I haven't been able to pull the triger. I passed on a Henry Mag Pump a couple months ago for $380. Kinda kickin myself now. It was a fine looking gun.

LK
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Agreed, that is a really good way to put it. Just getting back into the sport and it took me all of about 1/2 hour of scanning prices for ammo that reloading was the way to go. I didn't put as much effort into it that you did but you emphasis the point very well. I am looking forward to testing various loads and finding those sweet spots between firearm and ammo.

At the end of the day it will mean the difference between going to the range once a fortnight or once every 2-3 months. And that's a darn good thing.

And COSteve, that reloading area is a bloody beauiful sight to behold. Well done. 100,000 rounds 'ey. Well I may just bother you with some questions when I get to rolling my own.

Love to see some photos of other reloading benches, chuckle...even the messy ones.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yikes,
I got mine used, looks new in box for $155.00!
Guess I did good?
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I don't mind handloading and take it a step further by casting my own bullets.
The challenge of making cast bullets shoot well from my rifles is very rewarding.
I also never fail to mention the cost saving, whether asked or not. :D

Afew months ago, I had a chance to compare my efforts against factory ammo and was not disappointed with the results.

One of the members of a regional tactical response team was practicing with his rifle on our local range. He was firing Federal premium match ammo ($45/20) at 100 yards. When he had finished, I fired my cast bullet loads ($1.80/20) on the same target and found that we had shot groups of the same size. We were firing nearly identical Remington 700 "sniper" rifles. He was surprised and impressed. I was just grinning like a fool. :twisted:

In my own mind, I don't count the savings in dollars, but in the enjoyment of the oportunity to make and shoot good ammo that exactly suits my needs. I also load for my 1878 Swiss rifle and several other oldtimers that would never be shot if I had to count on factory ammo.

You can read my article about converting the Swiss rifle to centerfire, making ammo, and shooting it here, if you are interested in such things. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21917

Jack
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Steve, it seems besides reloading, you eat lots of pretzels!!! great set up. I posted a similar thread a year ago, on how much I was saving in a nights worth of reloading.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

To be entirely honest, I don’t save a cent reloading… The fact is that I’m going to spend whatever I feel that I can to shoot, and reloading permits me to send more rounds downrange – simple as that. The HUGE “bonus” in reloading is that I get to experiment in finding the best, most accurate load for any particular gun I shoot AND get more practice. That in turn let’s me outshoot friends (who don’t reload) that are technically as good of a shooter as I am. With aging eyes - it's not nearly as hard to find competative shooters to get out with..
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Really good break down ya did there. Should help the none believers.

But I can't agree about the enjoyment of reloading. I consider it a necessary evil. Reloading is one of the main reasons I am re-entertaining the idea a lever/pump/semi .22 mag as my "almost everyday" field gun. Including for yotes. Been there, done that and swore I'd never try it again but..........

LK

You can buy a heck of a lot of generic 30-30 ammo for 500$ Strictly an idea for the "field gun" part , i know that much doesn't last long for plinking though

Or an inexpensive bolt action .223 -- Even in the grip of black rifle mania, i was getting cases of brass cased reloadable stuff for $400 (little more punch to keep from wounding a 'yote unnecessarilly)

Its still much cheaper to reload if you do some volume shooting though --- but i've barely put a dent in a case of .223 i bought back in February -- and thats with a bit of AR shooting thrown in
----- Doug
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

COSteve wrote:Image
You sure ate a crapload of pretzels!

I know some shooters that would kiss you on the mouth for all those primers!
Last edited by Travis Morgan on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Arkansas Bob wrote:Is it true what they say? Its not any chepper you just get to shoot a lot more.
Definitely; when I feel good, I can shoot about 400 aimed shots at one session. Before my back surgery, it was even worse! That's why I cast bullets.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Clean bench plus a picture of what Greg Boyington flew. I am JEALOUS.
I find reloading to be very relaxing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Travis, that is a HOOT! :lol: :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Streetstar wrote:
L_Kilkenny wrote:Really good break down ya did there. Should help the none believers.

LK

You can buy a heck of a lot of generic 30-30 ammo for 500$ Strictly an idea for the "field gun" part , i know that much doesn't last long for plinking though

Or an inexpensive bolt action .223 -- Even in the grip of black rifle mania, i was getting cases of brass cased reloadable stuff for $400 (little more punch to keep from wounding a 'yote unnecessarilly)

Its still much cheaper to reload if you do some volume shooting though --- but i've barely put a dent in a case of .223 i bought back in February -- and thats with a bit of AR shooting thrown in

I hear ya street car. As a matter of fact thats one of the reasons I bought my 94AE and have been toying with reduced loads. But to get the 100-120 yard range (Maximum Point Blank range actually) my loads are still too hot for shooting coon and squirrel outta trees. Which by the way, are my 2 favorite game.

I'll look into it further.

LK
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A clean bench is the sign of an organized mind. You go Steve! :D

Reloading pays off four ways I can think of off the top of my head. Yes, it pays off economically as Steve mentioned. It allows you for load for cartridges no longer commercially available. It allows you to customize your loads for any number of reasons, usually accuracy toping the list. Lastly, it teaches you a valuable skill that may become neccessary if the poop hits the fan!

Oh, and reloading is just plain fun! :D
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I dont clean my work benches very often... The Doc says I should not feed my OCD problems. :D

Very nice set up Steve. A few minutes of "alone time" seems to help my stress too.

~J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Nice write up Steve, and I agree completely. If a person doesn't save money by reloading/casting then they don't shoot hardly at all.

For those of you with messy benches, Lloyd Smale over at the castboolits forum recently had his reloading/casting building burn to the ground and he credits the fire to his messy bench. The only thing he salvaged was the lead that ran out of the building and onto the ground.

Cat
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hillbilly wrote:I dont clean my work benches very often... The Doc says I should not feed my OCD problems. :D

Very nice set up Steve. A few minutes of "alone time" seems to help my stress too.

~J

Is your doc aware that for some of us, we're either fastidious or total slobs?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That bench is a contender for the Leverguns "neatest reloading bench" award.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

A neat bench deprives him of one of (mine at least) lives great joys...finding great stuff when I clean the bench . I mean like stuff I haven't seen for years! Neat folk don't get that thrill of discovery :lol:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I guess you're right it is relaxing to reload, and it's a nice accomplishment when you're done with a batch.

I have a little trouble getting started, I have so much else to do. Plus, my "reloading bench" is also my recording studio, office, and shipping department. So like laundry, it's easy once you get started.

I'm sure you're right about the money, but I end up spending $50 every time I pass the reloading store. Although I have been stocking up.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:If my wife see's that reloading bench ... I'm done, stick a fork in me. That is terrifyingly clean and organized.
Remind her that a clean workspace is a clear sign of a sick mind!

My sanity is unquestionable!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I haven't tallied up how much I save per year but I did figure that I paid for my complete Hornady lock n load system, etc, within a few months. Nowadays, I could pay for it within a week or two, given how much I shoot. Of course, it sure helps to cast my own boolits out of used wheel weights.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Had no idea that pretzels came in jars/jugs. The wife always brings em home in bags.

As for a neat reloading bench, I have to keep mine clean as it is in a corner of my pump house and occupies a space only 4' x 2'.
I think, for most rounds, I can reload a little cheaper than factory. Actually it depends on when I bought each component. If I am using primers I bought a couple of years back, I save money but if I am using primers I bought recently, the savings isn't that great because of the increased cost of primers -- same for other components too (i.e., brass, powder, etc.).
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

How can you have such a clean reloading bench? :o :( :cry:
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Modoc ED wrote:If I am using primers I bought a couple of years back, I save money but if I am using primers I bought recently, the savings isn't that great because of the increased cost of primers...
Even the "rip-off" (actually, supply-and-demand acting to provide incentives for increased production...) prices of primers only increased the per-round cost maybe $0.03 or thereabouts, so for me the biggest factor is whatever the price of lead or jacketed bullets is. Of course brass, too, but at least you can 'amortize' it over several reloadings.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

AJMD429 wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:If I am using primers I bought a couple of years back, I save money but if I am using primers I bought recently, the savings isn't that great because of the increased cost of primers...
Even the "rip-off" (actually, supply-and-demand acting to provide incentives for increased production...) prices of primers only increased the per-round cost maybe $0.03 or thereabouts, so for me the biggest factor is whatever the price of lead or jacketed bullets is. Of course brass, too, but at least you can 'amortize' it over several reloadings.
Yeah, Winchester primers were $29/k last week and now they're $32/k this week. And you have to buy a pile of 'em to spread the HazMat charge out. Still, people on GunBroker are paying $50/k and up plus shipping. Even at those prices, they are still saving a ton of money by reloading. I mean ... I haven't even seen 380 ACP, for example, for months. If you're not loading it, you're probably not shooting it at this point.

I love that sheet aluminum on your bench Ed. At least it looks like aluminum sheet. Did you do that to make it easier to clean up or is it easier to see spilled parts on a sheet like that?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Looks like galvanised flashing to me. Aluminum would be too soft and expensive.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yep, galvanized is more likely. On my bench I went with a 1/8" thick piece of Masonite that I tacked down. That way when it get torn up, stained, or I'm just tired of it, I just pull it up and lay down another piece.
Steve
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
Yeah, Winchester primers were $29/k last week and now they're $32/k this week. And you have to buy a pile of 'em to spread the HazMat charge out. Still, people on GunBroker are paying $50/k and up plus shipping. Even at those prices, they are still saving a ton of money by reloading. I mean ... I haven't even seen 380 ACP, for example, for months. If you're not loading it, you're probably not shooting it at this point.

I love that sheet aluminum on your bench Ed. At least it looks like aluminum sheet. Did you do that to make it easier to clean up or is it easier to see spilled parts on a sheet like that?
That is galvanized tin that is used from making heating and AC ducts. I use it because it keeps the underlying, wood, bench top in good condition and it makes for a nice, smooth, easy to clean, work surface. Another positive about using galvanized tin is that it doesn't spark when struck with another piece of metal like say a steel piece would. Keeps it nice and safe.
ED
Yer never too old
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Do I win a cookie or something?

It cracks me up how OT we get over the stupidest tings in photos here, like the pretzel buckets on the one guy's bench. The bench had really nice woodwork, it was in a nice home, etc... but we kept jabbering about the pretzel buckets!

It's funny how gun guys could walk into a group full of 19 year old hardbody strippers wearing nothing but gunbelts and smiles, and the first thing we'd say would have something to do with their guns or gear. :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer