Win. SuperX 255gnRN.45Colt brass?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Win. SuperX 255gnRN.45Colt brass?

Post by mad mucus »

Hi all.

Locally I can only access Starline brass in .45Colt but desire more Winchester for reloading with black powder. I have to resort to factory loaded ammo and the above mentioned is what's available at $AUS19 per box of twenty.

To the question..... the brass has a prominent bullet seating depth indent crease, which I've never seen before, so when shot from my Marlin will it fire-form correctly and be OK for neck-sizing only?

Thanks,

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Win. SuperX 255gnRN.45Colt brass?

Post by thornblom »

Hey Mad Mucus,

I have loaded the .45 Colt caliber since I was 19 years old. I am now 62 years old. So, 43 years. In that time I have used Winchestern-Western cases, Super-X cases, Winchester cases, Federal cases, Remington cases and Star-line cases. They all work well. The cases you refer to have the canalure a ways back from the case mouth to keep the bullet from being pushed deeper into the case. These cases are usually used with the soft lead hollow base rnfp bullets. After fire forming the canalure is inconsequential. But, if you are giving $19 dollars for 20 rounds just for the brass, that is expensive brass. I pretty much use Star-line brass for all my pistol calibers now. The only brass that might be better is certain runs of Federal, and they are sometimes hard to find. Star-line is good brass. I have .45 Colt Star-line brass that I have re-loaded 15 times and is still going strong.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mad mucus,

As thornblom says the brass will be fine. Winchester, Remington, Federal, Western, and many many others have used that cannelure to stop bullet set back since smokeless powder was introduced in 1895.
When fired the cannelure will fire form and be all but gone. They can be neck sized just fine.

$19.00AUS comes out to 15.48USD according to my currency converter. I wish we could buy that ammo that cheap. Right now it's near $30.00 USD per 20 rounds. I've quit buying factory ammo, especially Winchester, because of the prices.
It's easier and cheaper to buy unprimed brass. Or once fired brass if your quick enough on the forum classifieds.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Thanks fellas for the info.

I have 100 Starline cases but like them for smokeless powders and 200 of the thinner Winnies for the black stuff which I prefer.

The Win SuperX rounds are listed at my LGS as $28AUS per box 20.

As to snapping up once fired brass, that seems a bit of a joke here in Aus, .45Colt is not a popular cartridge outside of western action shooting where it is horded for reloading.

Mucus
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mad mucus wrote:Thanks fellas for the info.

I have 100 Starline cases but like them for smokeless powders and 200 of the thinner Winnies for the black stuff which I prefer.

The Win SuperX rounds are listed at my LGS as $28AUS per box 20.

As to snapping up once fired brass, that seems a bit of a joke here in Aus, .45Colt is not a popular cartridge outside of western action shooting where it is horded for reloading.

Mucus
Mucus,
If you get lucky and find some R-P cases, they are a bit thinner than the Winchesters and might work better for the black powder.
Not only that the factory ammo comes in boxes of 50 and when you calculate the prices is a bit cheaper than the Winchester ammo.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

G'day, just a follow up.....

Purchased a box of 20 for $AU18.80, threw 'em down the range & hey presto, fire formed Winchester cases good to go.

Cleaned & prepped, I proceeded with a new experimental load to me, 35gnvol Wano ffg under a 150gn EPP-UG homecaste projy. They came up a fair bit shorter than normal OAL but to my delight fed nicely from mag to chamber. Will try them today over 50yds off sandbags.

Cleaned my rifle this morning finding that whatever powder the factory used, man that stuff was "DIRTY"; thought I was going to use up every patch I had. :o

Now I remember why I prefer the black, aside from the jeers,flame & smoke, cleaning is a breeze.
ADI AP70N, AKA Universal, is definitely a clean burning powder!

To the range,

Mucus