NO lc45 loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Birddog 1
Levergunner

NO lc45 loads

Post by Birddog 1 »

Was looking for some lc45 loads in my Barnes reloading book NO GOT only have loads for a .451/250gr hp bullet for a 454 casull so I went and looked at the 44mag loads and under the 250 gr bullets loads they had a note in big black letters saying {NOT FOR 1/32 TWIST BARRELS} guess what my Marlin lc45 is a 1/32 twist does this mean I shouldnt use 250 gr Barnes bullets in my Marlin lever rifle?

What gives ? :roll:

Birddog 1
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Re: NO lc45 loads

Post by cnjarvis »

I dunno. Why don't you give them a call?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My guess is that since the slower twist can be marginal for long bullet stabilizing, and the Barnes mostly/all copper bullets are longer for a given weight (less dense material, although the sectional density would be the same), they could be harder to stabilize. A really hot load could drive them faster and boost the RPM's, but if the manufacturer advises against it, results may be iffy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Give Barnes a call or send an Email. They will respond and help you. Their customer service is great.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Birddog 1
Levergunner

Post by Birddog 1 »

I called Barnes this morning and they said reduce load 15% and ck. pressure because the 250gr bullet{Casull} is longer and will spike pressures in a pistol case when seated to 1.60 in length, and with the reduced load I might get a yaw in the bullet from the reduced loads will ck at 50 yds and 100 will let you know. They do make a 225gr for the lc45 will .

Birddog 1
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm not sure about your Marlin, but mine will easily accept ammo loaded longer than 1.60". I'll have to check to be sure, but I think it will do ammo with an overall length of 1.68".

If the crimp grove is in the right place why not load up a dummy round or three and find out what you rifles max cartridge length is?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Don't use .44 data for a .45 data. Just get another manual. Don't get the Hornady one, though; I think it was written by a monkey; it lists Ruger only loads for general .45 Colt data.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1